67HEAVEN

Regular
2 You're 10
Aug 23, 2010
Southcentral Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
1967 BBC coupe
Here's an excellent example of why you should always take someone with some knowledge about old cars when looking to buy.

Most will agree that a '68 El Camino SS396 is an interesting car/truck, but the advertiser in this ad needs to do a bit more research before making the claims he does.

Claims a 396/375 hp engine, but the vehicle has an automatic. He also states that it has factory A/C. Neither of these options were available with the L78 375 hp engine.

Oh, and the cast iron intake manifold is the first I've ever seen on a 375 hp big block. LOL Should be aluminum.
896ed889e3d3a29004d2547bb601beb2x.jpg

Wanna bet that's a 325 hp, or maybe 350 hp 396? It's sure not a 375. And, there's a WORLD of difference between the first two and the 375, believe me.

Some sucker's gonna buy the story. That's why, if you're looking to buy an old car, better know your stuff or have someone along who does.

1968 Chevrolet El Camino SS from TEXAS For Sale | GUELPH ON

:swear:

Buyer beware.

:agree: but it's also fun to see the seller's reaction when the buyer knows more than he does. a friend of mine , a well versed mopar guy, once was interested in a 60 impala and described the car to me. turns out the seller was trying to pass off a 348 as a factory 409. sorry buddy, not a 1960. seller got downright hostile when confronted with it.

Those are oval port heads too. Perhaps the short block is L78......but not likely. There are two pipe plugs in the block just above the oil filter boss beside of the oil sender unit boss, so that would be easy to check out. It also has the '69 F41 sway bar. Although not correct, these cars did need all the help they could get in the handling department and I added one to every car we did. He might argue that it was dynoed at 375 hp if cornered. Just a thought. Some sellers are stupid like a fox. ;)

Last edited:
I once drove 2.5 hours to look at a 1974 "L82" Corvette. Seller assured me it was. Checked the serial number; L48 car. Numbers on engine; L48. The seller was truly shocked I believe, he thought it was an L82. Lesson learned...ask more questions over the phone.

I once drove 2.5 hours to look at a 1974 "L82" Corvette. Seller assured me it was. Checked the serial number; L48 car. Numbers on engine; L48. The seller was truly shocked I believe, he thought it was an L82. Lesson learned...ask more questions over the phone.

good advice greg, i imagine there are a lot of instances where a seller had the car misrepresented to him when he bought it. :seeya:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread