Apr 3, 2017
toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 Corvette Z06
Hi all,

I hope everyone is enjoying the spring weather (finally) after 6 months :)

I factory ordered a 2016 Camaro 2SS convertible last year (delivered May 2016). I absolutely love the car.

However, I have always been interested in Corvettes, since Jeremy Clarkson showcased the last gen ZR1 in one of the episodes of Top Gear.

I was thinking of trading in my Camaro and placing a factory order on a 2017 Z06. However, I have a few questions:

- Do you guys think it's a good time to buy the Z06? Will the prices be adjusted soon to accommodate the new ZR1?

- Are there a lot of over heating issues? I don't really intend on taking the car to the track

- How is the difference in power delivery between the 6.2l V8 in my Camaro vs the supercharged power plant in the Z06? Is there a noticeable difference in street/city/highway driving?

-Finally, how much of a discount can I negotiate/expect off msrp?

Looking forward to your responses.

Thanks,

Karam

Just a few thoughts from a guy with a 15 Z06. There is never a bad time to buy a Z06 if you are looking for an allocation to build to your specifications. There is no comparison to what you drive now and the Z. The Z is a power horse and probably too dangerous for those not willing to understand its capability. It isn't a car that you can simply jump in and mash the peddle and, doing that, will get you in trouble real quick. Having said that, there are examples and instruction of when to floor it in the owners manual, one which is coming out of a turn and there is nothing quite like that feeling IMO.

GM hit record numbers of C7 production in the last year and I still believe this leaves you in a position to pay more for what you seek down the road. As for the ZR-1, if you can afford it, I might get the committal of a dealer who firmly believes he will get an allocation to pass on to you. Life will be mich harder finding those allocations...as will the dent in your pocketbook.

That's awesome. Thanks a lot for the response. I will be placing an order soon then :)

My dealer has an allocation with a build week in June I believe. Hopefully I can join you guys for one of your cruises in the summer.

Welcome to the forum Karam.:thumbs: Tough decisions to make but All Flash has given you some sound advice about the car and the particular model.

Let us know what you decided, or you could put the order form on the site and we could spec it out for you. :Biggrin:

No maybe not!

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Welcome to the forum Karam. Congrats on your decision. I have not driven the Z06 but you are getting advice here from a very experienced Z owner. Be sure to post us up some pictures of your car and your smile .... And Murray is right. We would be more than happy helping you with the option package and ordering the little extras ...:rolleyes:

If you order the Z, I will give you a quick brief on the order process and how things work if you like. There are a few things that would benefit you, such as knowing in advance what you will do if your allocation comes up but runs into a constraint.

Reactions: Dub
Welcome to the forum Karam ....
Lots of experience and advice from members here to help you ...
Grrreat ride you are planning to buy for sure ....
Post updates & pics when you get it ....

Hi Karam. The overheating issues has been dealt with for the 2017's. Don't expect much of a discount, after all you are buying a Z06 not a Hyundai Accent. I was lucky to find my 2016 Z06 being sold by a private seller and as a result saved a lot than buying a used 2016 off of a dealership.

Driving the car, well off idle the Z06 puts down almost 470lb ft of torque so just know that things can get stupid real quick in the hands of a inexperienced driver.

You are going to love your Z06 when it arrives. Enjoy! :thumbs:

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for all the responses.

After Flash's message yesterday, I did place an order on the Z06. I got a call today from my dealer that the order has been accepted by GM as they were holding an allocation for me (the dealership that is).

Here is my order:

2017 Corvette Z06 1LZ

Exterior: Arctic White

Interior: Adrenaline Red

Calipers: Red

Wheels: Black Aluminum

Transmission: 8 speed Auto (I live in downtown Toronto and will hate the manual in stop/go traffic :))

1 piece removable transparent roof (It looks like black from outside, so goes nicely with the black and white combo)

Outside mirrors (painter in carbon flash)

Chrome Badge package

Hood Stinger stripe, Carbon Flash

Let me know what you guys think. I can't wait to take delivery of the car and see it in person :)

Thanks everyone for your help. Really appreciate it :)

I think you are going to be ecstatic Karam and your cheeks will hurt so much from smiling you won't be able to chew for a month. Congratulations.

Congrats... The order sounds great. The ONLY thing I might think hard about is that clear roof as they arent as popular as so many thought they originally would be. In fact, I dont know of anyone that has one and many seem to have sold theirs off at some point for a hard top. From many of the threads that I read, typical complaints were the sun always hitting your head. Very least, I might consider both or start looking for some type of a well constructed shade for the inside. Just thoughts from a crazy Z06 driver is all...

So.. the allocation and constraints. Did the dealership speak about when the order allocation would be activated? This occurs every two weeks, on a Thursday when the dealer will get a call stating the allocation has been activated. From that point, he has until the following Tuesday to ensure there are no constraints in effect, and if not, the order will quickly change from your 1200 status up above 3000. You need to identify to your dealer that, if a constraint is identified, you would like to make sure they notify you to discuss order alteration, rather than overlooking the order. Some dealers have simply passed on the order until the next round...or subsequent after that... in hopes the constraint would clear. If there is a constraint, I would always suggest you consider how important it is to you.

I see you also went 1LZ without ground effects. You are going to want to get protection on the side rear if you drive your call at all as the road rash will become very evident very quick. One of the Z06s I ran with this week had chips on the side from less than 5000km and under a year ownership. I always suggest triple protection as I have which is XPel Ultimate PPF, C7 oem splash guards and ground effects to include side rails. As far as ground effects... check with Caravaggio Corvettes in Toronto as John does a great business and is a perfectionist. His prices for front splitter and side rails are much less than if ordered with the car, and his is carbon fiber which looks amazing. He has his own Z and works on several...

Caravaggio has done my front splitter, side fails, rear spoiler fins, dash, console, sill plates and custom steering wheel. If there is ANY upgrade I couldnt recommend enough for your permanent smile, its the wheel... My spats are also carbon fiber done by APR in the US and my engine also has painted matching valve covers which I think really add to the look. I also have a Halltech CF CAI and vent...

IMG_1835.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_3973.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg
IMG_4070.jpg

If you put km on as I do, I would definitely consider complete coverage with XPel from Richard DiSalvia of Protex Milton.... few shots of my CF...

Last edited:
Reactions: Malcolm
Wow All Flash. Some stunning pictures.

Thanks a lot guys for all the responses. This forum has been extremely helpful.

I just checked with my dealer this morning and my order status was at 3000.

I already spoke to my dealer about covering the car in XPEL clear bra. When I was purchasing the Camaro last year, I asked my dealer about clear bra protection. They installed Suntek clear bra on the front (till the middle of the hood), rocker panels, rear and door handles. It cost me around $1300. Although it has helped protect the paint, it is now developing a slight yellow coloring (only I notice it when I wash my car by hand). Do you mind me asking the ball park figure for XPEL ultimate?

About no ground effects, I did some extensive research and came to know that for 2017's, GM is delivering Z06's with standard side skirts. I did see one in person (and although most people hate them, I dont mind them at all. I in fact think (in black) they add to the aesthetics of the car, maybe I am mad lol). Also, the ground effects/aero stuff was atleast 3k from the factory. As I will be financing the car, this option will end up costing me around 5k.

Some good points on the transparent roof panel. The thing was, I wanted to go with a white and black exterior combination. I checked out a white corvette with a transparent roof panel and it looked black from the outside. I just think the color scheme will look really good. As far as the sun goes, I don't think that'll be an issue as that was the reason why I chose a convertible Camaro in the first place (my current car). I think the transparent roof panel will give a more airy feel to the cabin (maybe I will be wrong lol :) )

Got to say though, the steering looks absolutely fantastic. I will definitely be checking them out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.