turbolazi

Casual User
Jan 14, 2018
Blind Bay, BC, Shuswap
VetteCoins
Car
C3 1979
So yesterday I got finally my 1979 Corvette.
But oh boy, that was a terrible drive home.
When the seller got it runing he put it in reverse and bcked it up a little.But then he couldn,t get it in forward.So he crawled under the car and said that there was a pin missing.He put something in and voila, it droves forward.But at the next stop, I put it in park, but even totally forward it droves back. He told me I should adjust something. But I don,t know what.

Attachments

• 20180212_163125.jpg
    20180212_163125.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 63
Oh my!
Now the fun begins.
Did you do the registration transfer yet.
I’m waiting to find how smooth that goes with a different VIN.
There is lots of information out there for the C3 cars.
Take it one step at a time..start with ordering an assembly manual.
What are the plans for this car? Total resto or fun driver...?
Both paths are acceptable..
Bring on your questions.
I think you have a shifter linkage issue here...l
Put it on some ramps and have a look.

Graham

Oh my!
Now the fun begins.
Did you do the registration transfer yet.
I’m waiting to find how smooth that goes with a different VIN.
There is lots of information out there for the C3 cars.
Take it one step at a time..start with ordering an assembly manual.
What are the plans for this car? Total resto or fun driver...?
Both paths are acceptable..
Bring on your questions.
I think you have a shifter linkage issue here...l
Put it on some ramps and have a look.

Graham
Hi, yes, I got the registration without any problems.I loked at the vin under the windshield.The first part of the number is rusted out and gone.But I saw that the new Number in the door, the last 4 numbers are the same as in the original vin.
So, no problem there.
I like it both, a fun driver but also a restauration. Not a body of but technical near perfect.. I oordered a repair manual, still waiting for that.

I can’ t stress enough..if you don’t know these cars get an assembly manual..
It will be constantly used thruout your ownership.
I’ve owned my ‘75 for 35 years and I still get out the assembly manual for details.

The first eight digits of your 1979 Corvette should be
1Z8789S4 for an L48 engine (fifth digit varies)
Or
1Z8749S4 for an L82 engine.

The last five digits will vary as per specific production number(serial).

Graham

Reactions: ddgermann
I can’ t stress enough..if you don’t know these cars get an assembly manual..
It will be constantly used thruout your ownership.
I’ve owned my ‘75 for 35 years and I still get out the assembly manual for details.

The first eight digits of your 1979 Corvette should be
1Z8789S4 for an L48 engine (fifth digit varies)
Or
1Z8749S4 for an L82 engine.

The last five digits will vary as per specific production number(serial).

Graham

Thanks again. As I said, I ordered the manual.Just have to waite for it to get here.
I will put the car tomorrow on stands and look under it.
Have a nice day,
Norbert

Glad to hear you got your Vette home Norbert. And especially pleased you didn't have registration problems. Now the fun begins. Keep us posted on your progress. With pictures of course.

Glad to hear you got your Vette home Norbert. And especially pleased you didn't have registration problems. Now the fun begins. Keep us posted on your progress. With pictures of course.

Thanks, Seems that there are tons of problems ahead, but every time I step in the garage: wow, what a perfect car. At least, it was and will be my absolute dream car.

Reactions: Freddie
A problem is only a problem if you make it one Norbert. You have challenges ahead. Dedication and the recognition already that this will become your dream car is a testimonial that you are already well on your way to success. :thumbs:

Reactions: ddgermann
That is awesome! Totally sounds like the trans linkage needs to be adjusted as you stated, but that would be a bit of a nerve wracking drive home wondering if you'll be able to shift the transmission in/out of park and into reverse. That should be a fun project and I am really looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Reactions: turbolazi
For reason totally unrelated, I think extended warranty sales will go up with brand new vette owners watching threads like this one ...
I'm a spectator in this myself and am looking forward to reading about all the success in what you share.
It is appreciated by people like myself who would not even know where to begin ... and deep down, wish they could ....
Best of Great Fortune to you Norbert and thank you for this thread

Thanks for all the support.On the bad side : I,m not good in Things like engine, tranny etc.
On the good side : I know a lot about all other things.I,m a master-Painter from Germany, usually for houses, but I did a lot of Paint jobs on cars, Motorbikes etc.
And also the interieur is not a problem for me.
So, lets get started.First it should run good.But for that I might need a workshop to do that. And that cost money.
I,m not rich but hey : I live in the best Country and havethe best looking car in my garage. What should stop me?

For reason totally unrelated, I think extended warranty sales will go up with brand new vette owners watching threads like this one ...
I'm a spectator in this myself and am looking forward to reading about all the success in what you share.
It is appreciated by people like myself who would not even know where to begin ... and deep down, wish they could ....
Best of Great Fortune to you Norbert and thank you for this thread

Hmmmmm.... That being said Spence, if you find someone who offers a 39 year extended warranty, let us all know..... :D

Hmmmmm.... That being said Spence, if you find someone who offers a 39 year extended warranty, let us all know..... :D
"Unrelated" meaning "not related or linked". Clarifying to mean it does not relate to this C3 gem
but specifically to the extended warranty that is considered in the process for every brand new vette owner.
Where events like a "terrible drive home" can indirectly plant the thought of buying something "new" and having many unanticipated events occurring,
in a short period of time (like within 4-5 years), as one pulls away and then drives down the road.
Agreed is absolutely is anticipated for a 39 yr old vehicle - and - it is reasoning behind how some sell additional years of extended peace-of-mind for the newbies.

and hmmmmm, I wonder what a 40 year extended warranty would cost ;)
I can imagine all the disclaimers in the small print ...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the support.On the bad side : I,m not good in Things like engine, tranny etc.
On the good side : I know a lot about all other things.I,m a master-Painter from Germany, usually for houses, but I did a lot of Paint jobs on cars, Motorbikes etc.
And also the interieur is not a problem for me.
So, lets get started.First it should run good.But for that I might need a workshop to do that. And that cost money.
I,m not rich but hey : I live in the best Country and havethe best looking car in my garage. What should stop me?

Congrats on your car. You have the right idea in focusing on making the car roadworthy first! Everything else will come with a bit of time and lots of patience. Blind Bay is a beautiful part of BC, some nice scenic roads perfect for your new car.... :canada: best of luck and post some pics of your progress

Yes Norbert. That is possible. The V is where it was assembled (V stands for Flint, Michigan). 0502 is the date. May 2. They don't cast a year into the number. The last three letters are the is the engine suffix code. There doesn't seem to be a CLY suffix though. At least not one I could find. Are you sure that was it?

Reactions: grumpyfellow
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.