AllFlash

Power User
Jul 25, 2014
Niagara
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Z06
First paid oil change for the Z today and had to laugh my ass off walking away with a whopping bill for a simple oil change that I could have done myself. Yup... 10L of Mobile 1 at $16 per, $7.50 for the filter, 22 bucks for labour, taxes and environment fee. I was surprised to learn though that they had a specific procedure that HAD to be followed for the Z06 which I never expected (add oil, check, run 5 min, let sit 5 min, recheck) They even had a timer.

Except for the free oil changes, I have done every oil change myself since I was a kid and figured, what the hell... a hundred bucks for an oil change. 100 bucks? ya right.

Can't blame the dealership who has treated me very well over the last two years as that is their advertised price, and breakfast is thrown in...nothing hidden.

So... I could have paid $63 for the oil and $15 for the filter, had some fun this morning and saved myself the price of 2 tanks of gas or so... yup... sitting back and having a beer while I laugh at myself...

Ok...time for us all to have a laugh at Les' expense... $217.41 to be exact! They could have at least hugged me for a few seconds when giving me the bill.

IMG_6493.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Did they write Lube twice on the invoice? :)

On a side note hats off to those still willing to DIY oil changes, I used to be one of you but honestly lost the will to do this long ago....

It's not horrendously horrendous.

A buddy of mine who's name is remarkably similar to mine did an E60 BMW M5 change for the princely sum of $450 I recall, maybe more but I blank out on his behalf when I think back.

At Shaganappi,I paid $165.00 and breakfast included,a ride to my place to get my Visa card and back. My Car was put in front of 2 other people that were ahead of me in line too. Just under 1 1/2 hrs. I'm ok with that.

Reactions: Dik
Les what is the reasoning behind the five minute timer? Is the oil draining into the sump from the motor over that time or is there some other reason. How do you drain the oil from the motor? Is it just a drain plug on the sump or is there more than one plug?

I paid $120 and I thought that was steep, Mobile 1, plus filter. My car is also a dry sump so around 9.3 liters. Is there much of a difference if any, between the z06 and the z51 oil change?

Les what is the reasoning behind the five minute timer? Is the oil draining into the sump from the motor over that time or is there some other reason. How do you drain the oil from the motor? Is it just a drain plug on the sump or is there more than one plug?

I think the timer just backs up that they are waiting 5 minutes. There are two plugs on the bottom of this engine yes. I never asked what or why sorry.

Drive in with your car looking like " wow that person really cares about his car .... hmmmm" "maybe he could use a cabin air filter too".
Yes ... I will be there too on Aug 1st 2018 ... and right now I am just trying to get Mobil 1 included in my "2-yr whatnot program".
I'll be shopping 200km radius for the best price GM Dealer only service with my 9.5l dry sump service too. You now know there will be a new
thread authored by me around that time ... I will drive that radius because it's all about the cruising too ... :thumbs:
I hope my oil investment returns are better by then so I can relate to the price a bit better ... But Yoikes over 2 bills :crazyeyes1:

Last edited:
Well we are driving around in $100k cars. For the most part servicing is not going to be cheap for our cars. I will take up on my one remaining free oil change when the time comes then after that i will do my own oil changes.

I do my own oil changes on my other vehicles as well as my gf's so might as well for my Z.

Haha just imagine the look on the peoples faces that lease supercars that bring their cars in for oil changes then gets their bill. It would be priceless :Biggrin:

Last edited:
Well we are driving around in $100k cars. For the most part servicing is not going to cheap for our cars. I will take up on my one remaining free oil change when the time comes then after that i will learn how to diy my own oil changes.

I do my own oil changes on my other vehicles as well as my gf's so why not do it for my Z.

Haha just imagine the look in the peoples faces that lease supercars that bring their cars in for oil changes. It would be priceless :Biggrin:

Wow Deal :) I'll haveta figure out how to sneak in there somehow :Shifty::angelic: !!!
Oh wait ... rats you are outside my 200km radius :(
otherwise you would be added to my Christmas Card List ... :joyful:

I keep a stock of Mobil 1 and Delco oil filters and change my own oil on our vehicles for about $40 each. Cheap insurance and I know that the job has been done properly without all the scamming and scheming that you encounter in the oil change business. Cheap oil changes will guarantee scamming, scheming and up selling. Who needs the aggravation.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Friend of mine has a 2 year old Jag F type. Really nice car. 450 beans for an oil change. under 200 for a dry sump vette that holds 9L+ of good Mobil 1 synthetic isn't all that bad in comparison to other cars of similar level. If you do your own more power to you. I wrenched on others and my own race cars for years. I don't want to be sliding under another car ever again unless it is an emergency :)

Reactions: Dik and theboss
oil "renews" at well more than 1 bean :tearpuddle: .... what have I got myself in to :bathitshead::crazyeyes1:

... but I do know that I will sure love the cruise there and the cruise back ... just not the in-between part :sexynurse:

Friend of mine has a 2 year old Jag F type. Really nice car. 450 beans for an oil change. under 200 for a dry sump vette that holds 9L+ of good Mobil 1 synthetic isn't all that bad in comparison to other cars of similar level. If you do your own more power to you. I wrenched on others and my own race cars for years. I don't want to be sliding under another car ever again unless it is an emergency :)

Did the oil change on my friend 2014 F Type, 7.6 L of special oil and a 56$ oil filter. There is no dippstick on these cars, you have to wait about 1 hr after the oil change so the pcm can give you a reading about the level.

The five minutes is to make sure that the oil goes all the way down to a settled level. After all, oil is designed to stick and lubricate, right? If you check the dipstick right away, of course it will be high. This is the same reason why you should always check your oil after you get home, too.

The pan should have two plugs, I believe. Two sumps, two pans.

I paid $120 and I thought that was steep, Mobile 1, plus filter. My car is also a dry sump so around 9.3 liters. Is there much of a difference if any, between the z06 and the z51 oil change?

$120 is cheap, wow. Where do you go? And the prime question, does it come out of a nozzle or do you watch them pour in a Mobil 1 can?

I pay about $160 a change, but I really should just do it myself because it's easy. It's just always the beginning of the season, or the end of the season, so I'm gonna freeze. So I pay for it instead. LOL.

I have friends that have paid $600 for oil changes on Mercedes and BMWs, and heard of preposterousness like $2600-$3400 for some Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

Watch for Murray's posts on CTC sales, and do the changes yourself. It's fun!

A bit surprised looking at this thread. What ever happened to 'home of the $29.99 oil change" ? The good thing about where i go is that the mobile 1 oil comes straight from 1L containers and I even get to keep the extra. I guess I am just old and so used to doing things myself...but then $15.99 for a litre of ol I think is a bit excessive. I think its time to get my own garage lift...

Reactions: Tony Gull
Les. A lift would actually pay for itself pretty quick even if you only do oil changes on your vehicles...and I bet you will also make new friends really quickly..... :rolleyes:

Let's get some mistruths stopped here today. I drive a C7 Z51. I change my own oil. Price varies depending on oil price obviously but I get a filter for 7 bucks. There is not 2 sumps there are 2 drain plugs. One for the sump and one for the reservoir. If you add the necessary oil amount (9.3l) you can drive the car. When you get back home, check the oil in 5-10 minutes-it will be bang on. And oil changes for BMW's are not as high as I'm reading on this site as I drive a twin turbo beast that uses 6.6l of Castrol Edge European Blend. Similar cost to Mobil as long as you don't buy from dealer. And the dealership oil change price is under $200 anyway although I still do it myself. Don't know why BMW has to be trashed on here without facts, they build very good cars but they're not for the poor but neither are vettes.

• Informative
Let's get some mistruths stopped here today. I drive a C7 Z51. I change my own oil. Price varies depending on oil price obviously but I get a filter for 7 bucks. There is not 2 sumps there are 2 drain plugs. One for the sump and one for the reservoir. If you add the necessary oil amount (9.3l) you can drive the car. When you get back home, check the oil in 5-10 minutes-it will be bang on. And oil changes for BMW's are not as high as I'm reading on this site as I drive a twin turbo beast that uses 6.6l of Castrol Edge European Blend. Similar cost to Mobil as long as you don't buy from dealer. And the dealership oil change price is under $200 anyway although I still do it myself. Don't know why BMW has to be trashed on here without facts, they build very good cars but they're not for the poor but neither are vettes.

Reading back Tony, I don't see anyone trashing BMW's or any other car makes. I do see reference to second hand information which may or may not be accurate but I really don't think anyone is purposely posting "mistruths". We do welcome first hand clarifications though. :thumbs:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.