Regular
You're 5
Nov 27, 2017
Surrey BC
VetteCoins
Car
1987 Corvette coupe,
Hey all,
I just wanted to retell an amusing, and somewhat thought provoking story.
I'm sure as we have ALL probably have happen at least 1 or 2 times, a little kid looking at the Corvette, as we are at the light some wheres.
This occasion I was at the lights at Royal and 6th by Royal Towers on Wednesday afternoon, coming home. I looked to the hill by City Hall where there was a bunch of people gathered, and something in the vehicle in opposite traffic, caught my eye. Its a little middle eastern boy, in a car seat, with his window rolled down, with his dad beside him. He is pointing to the car, and telling his dad, rather animated what he sees. He (Boy),sees me looking at him and he waves to me with this biggest grin. I wave back and smiled back, and his dad then waves back lol.
Funny how these cars affect some people, and how someone from say Syria, especially a small tot like that, would have ever seen a Nassau Blue 87 Z51 Vette, in their homeland.

I'm fortunate I am to be a proud owner.

Thats my story and Im stickin to it lol

... great story ... reason for the legacy of sort when travelling with @Jeffer2013
that I have also embraced where I always have a Walmart or Safeway new in package Hot Wheels Corvette
in the Car with me - should I be able to hand it to these "tykes that we once were". "Corvette seeds" get planted.
Realizing as well that times are much different now. Should it be the case, the origin of
enthusiasts has expanded with ease of travel - and where maybe the Corvette is the "exotic" to their norm.

Last edited:
My wife and i were in Vernon a few years ago and as we were coming out of the hotel to our car (It was parked across form the doorway) we saw 4 boys looking it over. their ages were 8 to 14. (yes parents were a busy bunch!) when we came out they saw us and started walking over to the family van where the parents were packing up. I called over and asked if they wanted to sit in the car. They looked at their parents who nodded and they came back as well as their parents. The boys were all over the car, I opened the hood and trunk and they sat inside and checked it out. We visited and found out the family was from the Bowling Green area and always saw the cars coming and going but never had the opportunity to get up close to one!
The Dad's work had the family travel and do work terms on large projects in different locations throughout North America and Vernon was the new location. The family had a great time checking out the car as we visited and the boys were saying they wanted to get one when they got older and were bugging their Dad that he should get one too! They thanked us as we parted ways.
We always chuckle at how these cars bring strangers together and put smiles on any age face,

Great thread you started Darrell.
This summer in Cold Lake myself and many others had our Corvettes on display during the 2 days of the airshow. Spent plenty of time on a lawnchair chatting with folks who were walking down the lines of cars admiring the corvettes. (Yes there were other cars there but this is about the 60 or so Corvettes) The usual questions of "how fast", "how much" were in abundance. However, one lady and her little boy; guessing about 4 came wandering by and the little guy would not go further. He was excited, pulling on his Mom and pointing at the car. I walked over and opened the car and asked if he would like to drive it. Barely got the door open and the little guy jumped in and grabbed the wheel. It was hilarious as he was trying to see over the dash and working the wheel for all he had. I believe this kid will be a Corvette owner in the future as he hopped over the delicate door plate before I could properly grab him and never left a mark. His Mom was just thrilled and let him play for a few minutes. She politely asked, then took some photos of him being the "greatest race car driver in the world"; then drug him out of the car as he protested. (I'm lucky he could not reach the clutch or that car would have been started and gone. :Biggrin:)
One of those moments a Hotwheels car would have been perfect.
I had a great 3 days of car shows and socializing at the Cold Lake Airshow weekend. Really enjoyed hanging out with Spence and his family, Jim, Grant, some new friends, along with meeting many others but that few minutes with that little bugger in my car made the weekend for me.

One of those moments a Hotwheels car would have been perfect.
Great story added here D ...
... nuts I missed that ... that's a small adjustment to the "sowing of the corvette hot wheel seeds" for when that happens again you will know exactly where to get your hands on one ...
as the hot wheels in my ride are all about "the opportunity", the tyke
and that brief moment(s) for whose hands it is given by.

I even have a few Camaro seeds in case @Jeffer2013 happens to bring the wrong car -
don't tell him that though although I bet he may already have a few :joyful:

I witness a little bit similar each year with our elementary school across the street. The Calgary Police has a day that they will bring a unit and park it on the lawn for the groups of kids to come out. All they want to see is the lights and all they want to hear is the siren. So comes a day when we bring the Corvettes on to the driveway and at school pickup, as much as most of these Parents are a pain in the butt with their parking disrespect throughout the school year, it is hard not to let a kid or two check out the Corvette on the condition that they don't take it for granted. The odd tyke will get a bonus with me Derek as I have an A8 :happy: and can put the driver door window down, hit a lock button and remotely start her up ... I just love that look on their face - it's absolutely priceless.

Last edited:
... great story ... reason for the legacy of @Jeffer2013 that I have embraced where I always have a
Walmart or Safeway new in package Hot Wheels Corvette in the Car with me - should
I be able to hand it to these "tykes that we once were". "Corvette seeds" get planted.
Realizing as well that times are much different now as, should it be the case, the origin of
enthusiasts has expanded with ease of travel - and where maybe the Corvette is the "exotic" to their norm.
Great stories guys!
Great idea about the Hot Wheels cars. A buddy of mine ordered a hot wheels fender badge and he put it on his ex RCMP Cruiser of all things lol. Dunno if I would put one on my ride, but it really wouldn't be out of place no? Lol.

I think at least for myself, I get too involved with listening to the car, and paying attention to it, and playing, also enjoying it, I forget about forget the "other side of ownership" ...the have nots, and it makes me feel lucky, even tho I bought it lol. So I see reactions to the car, and its comical sometimes. It brings the kid out in all of us I think. At least what I've seen lol.

When one sees @Jeffer2013 handing a corvette hot wheel out, it's easy to understand right away what the gesture truly means.
Noticeable as well was the attention @ddgermann Black Z gets at Cold Lake too. Finding what likely captures a few young eyes.
Thinking of the mention of the hot wheels badge … this is all Derek needs on a t-shirt and those kids will know who owns that Corvette of his ...
The logo won't be welcome on his Corvette though unless it is on something Carbon Fibre no doubt … this is the "...mobile" that some kids see
batman_logo_by_fraser0206.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
When one sees @Jeffer2013 handing a corvette hot wheel out, it's easy to understand right away what the gesture truly means.
Noticeable as well was the attention @ddgermann Black Z gets at Cold Lake too. Finding what likely captures a few young eyes.
Thinking of the mention of the hot wheels badge … this is all Derek needs on a t-shirt and those kids will know who owns that Corvette of his ...
The logo won't be welcome on his Corvette though unless it is on something Carbon Fibre no doubt … this is the "...mobile" that some kids see
View attachment 20184
I would love to find something like this , or Jake before I lay down the top clear coats of Lacquer! It would appear to "hang or float" between 4 layers of clear gel coat and top coat. Its a cool effect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.