That is the exact same thing that I have thought about 4x4.

It allows you to get twice as stuck, twice as far.:rofl:

It hasn't stopped me from having a 4x4 every year I've driven though. I just realize that you can't be an idiot with it. I did find that it would help me stop though as my little truck did not have ABS and in 2wd the back wheels would lock up first on ice so I couldn't brake as hard as I wanted. In 4x4, the fronts would force the rears to keep turning (obviously unless all 4 tires are locked up). Anyway, this would help with stopping. I also like 4x4 because you can keep the front tires turning.

And lastly, 4x4's are easier to shovel under when you high center them in snow!:rofl:

Good afternoon Riley,

I have a 4x4 for work but mainly for getting through mud during field plot season. Wintertime was always front wheel drive with legit winter tires and I've never had issues. If it was a case, non-work requirement wise, of needing 4x4 then I figure I'm better off staying home. Unless I'm on the mission of trying to move a Z06 somewhere in which case I might have broke out the tire chains to get that car on its way to Manny! LOL!!

As well, 4x4 can sometimes be higher like you say, raising the CoG which can lead to stability problems, especially if you're like some of the folks around here that like the lift kits etc.

Then as well 4x4 weigh more than 2x4 which can add to the fun that one experiences in stopping!

I would have thought that once the power was no longer being applied to the front wheels which is usually what happens when one takes their foot off the gas and apply the brakes that you would be applying the same braking force in a 4x4 as you would be with a 2x4. I could be wrong.

I do agree there would be an advantage in being able to have the front tires pulling you in the direction you wanted to go though.

Yes, having buried my TDI Beetle to the point where it ripped the belly shroud from under the engine when I floored it in reverse once it was so deep a bit more ground clearnance would be useful!! However, like you said, sometimes you can just be plain stupid.

My mother (67) has a Nissan Frontier 4x4 with the NISMO off road package, locking front and rear diff's and I thought this thing would be a tank. I got it stuck in my yard last winter trying to get it stuck (start in 2x4, get stuck, switch to 4x4, get stuck, lock diff's, get stuck, couldn't get out!) and ended up having to jerk it off the snow pile I had lodged it on with my full size 3/4 ton Ford 4x4. I had tire spin marks in my lawn in the spring from that exercise.............

May I learn from my mistakes oh Lord!

Funny mom hasn't lent me her truck since then either. What's up with that???!!!

Cheers,

Garry

P1220676.jpg
[/IMG]
P1220688.jpg

P1220694.jpg

P1220700.jpg

P1220704.jpg

P1220707.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.