Regular
May 15, 2016
Lloydminster, SK.
VetteCoins
Car
1999 Magnetic Red C5
Province
SK
So a buddy and I were talking about the next generation of car enthusiasts, and what direction we felt the whole car scene was going, from car meets and clubs, to sales and classic auctions etc. Anyway, it was a very interesting subject, and the more we talked about it, more scenarios and topics would come up. The one thing that I mentioned in the conversation that we couldn't agree on was my thoughts about the muscle car collectors, and the values of the cars they have in the future, when very few people will desire them! At Barret Jackson it's not uncommon to see these cars in the 6 figure marks, but what about when next generation of car enthusiasts are hunting for collector cars? Are they going to want the Japanese and European vehicles and the small displacement, high revving 4 cyl cars?
There are a lot of questions and concerns, for the entire collector car industry, but what are your thoughts?

Interesting topic. I see the time of the "automobile enthusiast" coming to an end. The younger generation seems to have little interest in automobiles. They don't own, they rent when needed and I see this trend continuing until the interest wains. They see little excitement in automobiles they are simply a method to get from one place to another. I recognize that folks living in major urban areas may think about this differently having access to rapid transit than those who live in rural areas with no options would see things. It will take time but things will be very different in the years ahead.

I am looking forward to seeing what other people think on this. Great thread.

We have had this discussion numerous times out here offshore. The consensus pretty much boils down to nobody really owning cars anymore. You will book an autonomous transportation unit based on your needs and it will arrive wherever you are at the requested time. You will get in and be whisked away to wherever you are going. Of course there is a fee to be paid but it will be deducted automatically. When you are finished it will leave for its next usage call. :droid:

Us old guys who remember the ICE and would to drive vehicles still powered by them will have a special permit. We will once again call up the autonomous transport unit and it will load our out-dated, smelly and noisy ICE vehicle. We will get odd looks as the ICE vehicle is trailered to a special area where will we will be able to use it on a closed course under strict guidelines. Eventually even this will be outlawed as we get older and become less numerous.

It is all very depressing to me. :Cryin:

We have had this discussion numerous times out here offshore. The consensus pretty much boils down to nobody really owning cars anymore. You will book an autonomous transportation unit based on your needs and it will arrive wherever you are at the requested time. You will get in and be whisked away to wherever you are going. Of course there is a fee to be paid but it will be deducted automatically. When you are finished it will leave for its next usage call. :droid:

Us old guys who remember the ICE and would to drive vehicles still powered by them will have a special permit. We will once again call up the autonomous transport unit and it will load our out-dated, smelly and noisy ICE vehicle. We will get odd looks as the ICE vehicle is trailered to a special area where will we will be able to use it on a closed course under strict guidelines. Eventually even this will be outlawed as we get older and become less numerous.

It is all very depressing to me. :Cryin:

I think you are right on the mark. Our 18 yo drives a loaded Jeep Wrangler and could not care less. I would have gave up 1 ball for a vehicle like that at 18. It is nothing more than a conveyance to him. Seems his friends are the same.

Uber will be taking over the planet... :Biggrin:

Reactions: Rruuff Day
In theory I agree Derek but not sure it will be Uber.

I think there will be no private vehicles anymore. I won't ever know if I'm right but I'm guessing there will be vehicle staging stations all over every city where you just walk up to a vehicle; get your Iris scanned, jump in and drive away. You can park it at another depot near your destination or for an additional charge, a company employee will pick it up. No more credit cards. Credits will automatically be deducted from your account to pay for the vehicle use (as well as anything else you buy, rent, eat, whatever). All done through iris scanning technology. No privacy anymore (not that there's a lot left anyway), as everyone will be constantly scanned everywhere they go, and whatever they do will end up in a giant government database. George Orwell was no idiot.

IMG_4077.PNG
... and don't forget the invention of the time machine that will bring me back to when life had some FUN :thumbs:
One just has to browse Amazon. 88 miles an hour !!

In theory I agree Derek but not sure it will be Uber.

I think there will be no private vehicles anymore. I won't ever know if I'm right but I'm guessing there will be vehicle staging stations all over every city where you just walk up to a vehicle; get your Iris scanned, jump in and drive away. You can park it at another depot near your destination or for an additional charge, a company employee will pick it up. No more credit cards. Credits will automatically be deducted from your account to pay for the vehicle use (as well as anything else you buy, rent, eat, whatever). All done through iris scanning technology. No privacy anymore (not that there's a lot left anyway), as everyone will be constantly scanned everywhere they go, and whatever they do will end up in a giant government database. George Orwell was no idiot.

Don't be so sure you won't be here to see it Pal. This is happening now and electric driverless ground taxi systems are being tested now all over as well. They pick up and deliver passengers and return to charging stations staged in strategic locations. Some of these systems are being developed to have flying pods that mate up with a ground chassis for more flexibility in the system. I warn you though.... once you start searching this the day is shot. Have some time.. haha

This $hit already exists... all hail Mr Orwell.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2017-09-27/dubai-tests-driverless-drone-seeks-to-become-first-city-to-use-flying-taxis?context=amp

A taxi you will be able to take very very soon.
This one has no pilot...and I see they need to look a bit closer at the exposed blades but it is under functional testing now.
IMG_6470.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Rruuff Day
the car hobby owes much of it's origin to racing. win on sunday, sell on monday. the insurance companies, governments, and special interest groups are trying their damnedest to kill it. the fan turnout at drag strips now is pathetic. there are more of us racers than fans. if racing and auto hobbyists are not shown support both will disappear. sadly, today's young folks are more interested in techno gadgets on cars than the actual car itself.

the car hobby owes much of it's origin to racing. win on sunday, sell on monday. the insurance companies, governments, and special interest groups are trying their damnedest to kill it. the fan turnout at drag strips now is pathetic. there are more of us racers than fans. if racing and auto hobbyists are not shown support both will disappear. sadly, today's young folks are more interested in techno gadgets on cars than the actual car itself.

I hear ya ... "Virtual Racing" and then taking what they "absorb" (because it isn't "learn") to the Urban Roads. It's absolutely Pathetic !

I hear ya ... "Virtual Racing" and then taking what they "absorb" (because it isn't "learn") to the Urban Roads. It's absolutely Pathetic !

That is so much more true than people realise. And it is not only the young ones either. People are driving these days like it is all a big video game because that is where they think they are honing their so-called skills. Go ask your local first responder what they privately think about drivers these days.

That is so much more true than people realise. And it is not only the young ones either. People are driving these days like it is all a big video game because that is where they think they are honing their so-called skills. Go ask your local first responder what they privately think about drivers these days.
Been there,seen it,and closed it. Open it up 6/8/10 hrs later..... the road I mean.

So a buddy and I were talking about the next generation of car enthusiasts, and what direction we felt the whole car scene was going, from car meets and clubs, to sales and classic auctions etc. Anyway, it was a very interesting subject, and the more we talked about it, more scenarios and topics would come up. The one thing that I mentioned in the conversation that we couldn't agree on was my thoughts about the muscle car collectors, and the values of the cars they have in the future, when very few people will desire them! At Barret Jackson it's not uncommon to see these cars in the 6 figure marks, but what about when next generation of car enthusiasts are hunting for collector cars? Are they going to want the Japanese and European vehicles and the small displacement, high revving 4 cyl cars?
There are a lot of questions and concerns, for the entire collector car industry, but what are your thoughts?
Interesting topic to be sure. Both my sons are car enthusiasts maybe because I have always had corvettes or a Mustang GT 500 vert as a second vehicle. There friends love cars and drive BMWs etc. My youngest who just graduated from UBC with a B.ASc. (mech eng.) and lived on campus rented a smart car (all over the place here) the odd time when he was too lazy to take transit. Hybrids and electrical cars will be the future for some people; but, right now they are quite bit more expensive than the comparable gas model. Then there is the issue of infrastructure to support electrical cars which will be expensive. I was out with my youngest son and wife last weekend for lunch and I went into the Tesla dealership while they went to an optical store. Tesla had a S Sedan and an X Model on the floor: the S was $160K and the X was $240K before 15% taxes. I spoke to the gal working there and she told me most clients buy because they get 1.9% financing - make more on there capital elsewhere. Obviously, the average consumer can't afford these prices. Now this is the extreme end of the spectrum; but, even electricals and hybrids at other dealerships are a fair bit more expensive. I think it will be 2 generations before gas engines are gone, and even then, I think they will still be around. In any case, I will be long gone before any of this is a major factor. A good question: what are they going to do with all the gas/diesel powered vehicles that are displaced with electrical/hybrids? I know that all the high end cars are coming out with hybrids: Porsche, Audi, BMW - even the Italian super cars; so, perhaps car collecting will evolve.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.