Jun 23, 2017
FARNHAM, QC
VetteCoins
Car
STINGRAY 2016
Province
QC
Reactions: ddgermann
The C8.R sounds like that because it has a flat-plane crankshaft. I posted a video about it in another thread.
That was a very good Vid EJ. I am sure it educated many people, including myself, as to different crankshaft designs. One question popped up though. I trust you are not a member of the flat earth society. LOL
The vid in the post give an actual run of the C8-R so we can better hear the sound and also gives a good look at the C8-R in action to just the looks so to say. Personally I like the looks, sorry Liz, but with a small caveat to the brake calipers as I mention in a post form Liz.
So this vid gives us a good inkling as to what "maybe" coming for the Z06 and ZR-1 models "IF" they are offered in the near future. Will the Z-06 and ZR-1 have a flat crank? Will they even be offered?
Time will tell!

That was a very good Vid EJ. I am sure it educated many people, including myself, as to different crankshaft designs. One question popped up though. I trust you are not a member of the flat earth society. LOL
The vid in the post give an actual run of the C8-R so we can better hear the sound and also gives a good look at the C8-R in action to just the looks so to say. Personally I like the looks, sorry Liz, but with a small caveat to the brake calipers as I mention in a post form Liz.
So this vid gives us a good inkling as to what "maybe" coming for the Z06 and ZR-1 models "IF" they are offered in the near future. Will the Z-06 and ZR-1 have a flat crank? Will they even be offered?
Time will tell!

There are rumors that the Z06 will be naturally aspirated (no supercharger or turbos) and a DOHC setup. There are also some saying the twin-turbo setup will be for the ZR-1 in the future, and that a hybrid setup with electric front-drive in the so-called "Zora".

But these are just rumors. We don't really know until it happens.

There are rumors that the Z06 will be naturally aspirated (no supercharger or turbos) and a DOHC setup. There are also some saying the twin-turbo setup will be for the ZR-1 in the future, and that a hybrid setup with electric front-drive in the so-called "Zora".

Rumours of a camo Vette spotted with plug set up in the front have been circulating recently.
We'll see or hear by next year I would think

Read the article either before or after watching the vid.
Also posted this in the C8 forum although as it is the C8-R it properly belongs in this forum.
Might get more views over in the C8 forum.
Also when Corvette was running Nürburgring the engine also sounded different if you want to look back at some of those posts

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a29352818/2020-corvette-c8r-race-car-sound/

It sounds good. This C8.R vid below is a start up and a couple decent revs only and sounds way more like an F1 than your vid Richard. It's a cool sound for a race car, but to be honest,.... for a street car, I still like the old muscle sound.... Apologize if this one has already been posted ... I been away...

I would love if GM put a 5.5L flat crank DOHC in the car. A smaller motor, lighter weight, offset by more hardware in the DOHC and 600HP with a 8000 rpm redline. Now that would be something to rival pretty much anything on the street. OOhhh, gives me shivers.

It sounds good. This C8.R vid below is a start up and a couple decent revs only and sounds way more like an F1 than your vid Richard. It's a cool sound for a race car, but to be honest,.... for a street car, I still like the old muscle sound.... Apologize if this one has already been posted ... I been away...

Yeah, already posted.
Still nice to look at though.

I can NOT believe how fast that thing revs. That is insane. However, it also probably idles at 1800 rpm.

I'm torn on the engine for the Z06. A light weight, track oriented, 9000 rpm flat plane crank engine would be awesome.
However, when I drive my wife's Mustang (Shut up 😝) it revs really quickly which is fun, but it doesn't have the pull from down low that the Corvette does. And I really like the how it pulls right off the bat.
I guess, my only solution will be to buy two Corvettes. One high winding track monster, and another street brawler. 🥳

I can NOT believe how fast that thing revs. That is insane. However, it also probably idles at 1800 rpm.

I'm torn on the engine for the Z06. A light weight, track oriented, 9000 rpm flat plane crank engine would be awesome.
However, when I drive my wife's Mustang (Shut up 😝) it revs really quickly which is fun, but it doesn't have the pull from down low that the Corvette does. And I really like the how it pulls right off the bat.
I guess, my only solution will be to buy two Corvettes. One high winding track monster, and another street brawler. 🥳
I was thinking I might be swayed if they offer a C8-R. Just because of the yellow highlights.

Well here is the official scoop.
I wonder if the C8-R is "only" 500HP though

The Corvette C8.R features something different under the hood engine cover. Powering the new race car is a 5.5L naturally-aspirated DOHC V8 engine with direct-injection that will produce a Balance of Performance-specified 500-hp and 480 lb-ft of torque while a new 6-speed sequential transmission from X-Trac was redesigned to make more room for the rear diffuser.

Corvette engineer Ed Piatek confirmed that the new C8.R engine features a flat-plane crankshaft which would explain its completely different engine note from the C7.Rs

We asked if we might see a variant of the 5.5L DOHC C8 engine in a production Corvette, but no definitive answers were provided by the Corvette Team. However, the homologation rules require at least 300 engines be produced and installed into a “series vehicle” by the same manufacturer so we are saying “stay tuned” when it comes to discussing “future product”.

Another major difference in the C8.Rs is their racing livery. The No.3 Corvette C8.R will be running the traditional “Yellow Corvette” with silver accents while the No.4 Corvette is shown in predominately Silver with Yellow accents. The silver car is said to have been inspired by the silver-painted 1959 Corvette Stingray Racer and the 1973 Aerovette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1OpMpbrS8

Reactions: 12cents
well said!! zo6 or zr1 hybrid hypercars a laFerrari is in the talks. im still a true supercharger beleiver ...not a turbo guy really were they have to comebsck to Oshawa here in Canada to get a DSSV suspension setup if they can get there u.s.a. ego out ...why fix something if it aint broke lol those dssvs are the best shocks i ever felt above any supercar...i mean lets face it..thanks to multimatic they made that zl1 1LE win all records...actually a perfect car in my opinion after many decades...that Alpha platform is just on point weight distribution wise perfect 50/50

the z51 magnetic ride feels ancient now ...perfect for a daily driver to change from touring to Track mode. after the 1LE Zl1 came out Corvette had to go back to the drawing board were they pushed the front engine as much as they could not even matching that perfect Camaro . but hydrolic spoilers?? when i saw those patents ..redflag right there...sometimes we gotta keep it simple were dssv is nothing but complicated pure genius. they re invented the wheel of suspension technology...no one can come close to it. c7 zo6 not even fun to drive ...like a viper...a 88grand zl11le camaro showed thr world what perfect traditional engineering is all about..even the zr1 overprived c7...that camaro rivalry has to stop were they should take evrything good about it and make it plus...but too many internal changes old guys with egos which only the customer is penalized from true greatnes in the end.

Well here is the official scoop.
I wonder if the C8-R is "only" 500HP though

The Corvette C8.R features something different under the hood engine cover. Powering the new race car is a 5.5L naturally-aspirated DOHC V8 engine with direct-injection that will produce a Balance of Performance-specified 500-hp and 480 lb-ft of torque while a new 6-speed sequential transmission from X-Trac was redesigned to make more room for the rear diffuser.

Corvette engineer Ed Piatek confirmed that the new C8.R engine features a flat-plane crankshaft which would explain its completely different engine note from the C7.Rs

We asked if we might see a variant of the 5.5L DOHC C8 engine in a production Corvette, but no definitive answers were provided by the Corvette Team. However, the homologation rules require at least 300 engines be produced and installed into a “series vehicle” by the same manufacturer so we are saying “stay tuned” when it comes to discussing “future product”.

Another major difference in the C8.Rs is their racing livery. The No.3 Corvette C8.R will be running the traditional “Yellow Corvette” with silver accents while the No.4 Corvette is shown in predominately Silver with Yellow accents. The silver car is said to have been inspired by the silver-painted 1959 Corvette Stingray Racer and the 1973 Aerovette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1OpMpbrS8

The C8.R is only 500hp because that's the regulation for the class the car is racing in. The engine is capable of a lot more, but they're not allowed to produce more.

The current C7.R produces 500hp as well.

The street going car will definitely have more power.

Reactions: LE BARON
well said!! zo6 or zr1 hybrid hypercars a laFerrari is in the talks. im still a true supercharger beleiver ...not a turbo guy really were they have to comebsck to Oshawa here in Canada to get a DSSV suspension setup if they can get there u.s.a. ego out ...why fix something if it aint broke lol those dssvs are the best shocks i ever felt above any supercar...i mean lets face it..thanks to multimatic they made that zl1 1LE win all records...actually a perfect car in my opinion after many decades...that Alpha platform is just on point weight distribution wise perfect 50/50

First comment: Dude, spellcheck. Second, go back to school and get some grammar lessons. That's difficult to read.

Second comment: What does the DSSV have to do with Supercharging vs Turbocharging?

DSSV isn't manufactured or installed at Oshawa. Oshawa GM has nothing to do with the DSSV.

The 2019 Camaro does not have "perfect" 50/50 weight distribution. It's near that, but not 100%. It's front-heavy. Add 100lbs of supercharger kit and it's even further from 50/50.

The ZL1 1LE isn't winning all records. I don't even know of one record it's holding, TBH.

the z51 magnetic ride feels ancient now ...perfect for a daily driver to change from touring to Track mode. after the 1LE Zl1 came out Corvette had to go back to the drawing board were they pushed the front engine as much as they could not even matching that perfect Camaro . but hydrolic spoilers?? when i saw those patents ..redflag right there...sometimes we gotta keep it simple were dssv is nothing but complicated pure genius. they re invented the wheel of suspension technology...no one can come close to it. c7 zo6 not even fun to drive ...like a viper...a 88grand zl11le camaro showed thr world what perfect traditional engineering is all about..even the zr1 overprived c7...that camaro rivalry has to stop were they should take evrything good about it and make it plus...but too many internal changes old guys with egos which only the customer is penalized from true greatnes in the end.

Magnetic Ride Control is used ina multitude of cars, many high performance cars. It's still a valid technology.

"1LE Zl1 came out Corvette had to go back to the drawing board were they pushed the front engine as much as they could not even matching that perfect Camaro ."

Dafuq?

A Z06 Corvette is faster than a Camaro ZL1 1LE all day, every day. The Z06 also came long before the ZL1 Camaro. The ZR1 Corvette was initially designed before the Gen6 Camaro even existed.

"hydrolic spoilers??"

What? Where did this come from? No GM vehicle has hydraulic spoilers or wings.

GM did not invent the DSSV suspension. MultiMatic did. Porsche, Ferrari, and a few other brands and racing teams have been using them for years. The 2019 ZL1 1LE Camaro also wasn't the first GM vehicle to use it. The Colorado ZR2 came before it, as well as the Gen5 Camaro Z28. You can actually buy them from the Chevrolet Performance Catalog for both vehicles.

You think the Z06 isn't fun to drive? Clearly you've never driven one. I've driven both a C7 Z06 and a 2019 ZL1 1LE. I would take the Z06 any day.

You've also clearly never driven a Viper either.

I can't even decipher the rest of the post to understand what is being said.

The C8.R is only 500hp because that's the regulation for the class the car is racing in. The engine is capable of a lot more, but they're not allowed to produce more.

The current C7.R produces 500hp as well.

The street going car will definitely have more power.
I will go to bed less ignorant tonight EJ. LOL
I thought the C7-R was similar to the C7-ZR1 in HP.
Obviously I am not a big race follower.
Still wonder what HP they will come up with for the Z06 and ZR1 - if they produce them.
Again, considering they have the C8-R I see no reason why they would not offer the same line-up as in the C7 series.

Magnetic Ride Control is used ina multitude of cars, many high performance cars. It's still a valid technology.

"1LE Zl1 came out Corvette had to go back to the drawing board were they pushed the front engine as much as they could not even matching that perfect Camaro ."

Dafuq?

A Z06 Corvette is faster than a Camaro ZL1 1LE all day, every day. The Z06 also came long before the ZL1 Camaro. The ZR1 Corvette was initially designed before the Gen6 Camaro even existed.

"hydrolic spoilers??"

What? Where did this come from? No GM vehicle has hydraulic spoilers or wings.

GM did not invent the DSSV suspension. MultiMatic did. Porsche, Ferrari, and a few other brands and racing teams have been using them for years. The 2019 ZL1 1LE Camaro also wasn't the first GM vehicle to use it. The Colorado ZR2 came before it, as well as the Gen5 Camaro Z28. You can actually buy them from the Chevrolet Performance Catalog for both vehicles.

You think the Z06 isn't fun to drive? Clearly you've never driven one. I've driven both a C7 Z06 and a 2019 ZL1 1LE. I would take the Z06 any day.

You've also clearly never driven a Viper either.

I can't even decipher the rest of the post to understand what is being said.
Nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about on here EJ.
You didn't flunk your English course neither. LOL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.