Zeeman28a

RIP
Ontario You're a Regular 2 You're 10
Jan 29, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Mike, aka Raggdoll, has organized a Fall Memorial Cruise to the Huntsville area.

Sat October 17. Meet at the new ONroute Center on Hwy 400 just north of Major Mac for between 9 and 10 am, with a lift off at 10 am.

We will cruise north and pick up Heino and Birgit Stoefer (Alex's prents) along the way to Huntsville. Lunch, social time and photo opps will be at the Deerhurst Inn between 12 and 2 pm.

Afterwards, we will cruise some nice Muskoka roads to take in the fall colours while making our way back south. I'm anticipating a full day, getting back to the GTA by 4 or 5 pm.

It's hard to believe that on October 29th it will be one year since Alex left us. This cruise is meant to be a celebration of Alex's life and all our memories of him from the Corvette Forum in the Canadian Events section.

This likely will be the last formal cruise of the year that we organize, so please mark it on your calendar and be sure to attend. Plus it will be great having Heino and Birgit there so that everyone can meet them as well. Let's show them that we will never forget Alex and honour his memory.

See you all there
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, Deerhurst has offered a special rate for the Corvette Forum Memorial Cruise. We've had a few people take advantage of this deal.

Steve@Deerhurst said:
Please have your guests call 1-800-461-4393 and ask for the "Corvette Weekend" special rates.

The regular rates that weekend start at $199.00 plus resort fee and taxes. I would be pleased to offer "Corvette Weekend" special rates starting at $139.00 plus 6% resort fee and tax. Providing a discount of over $92.00 per night. or close to a $200.00 discount on a weekend stay!

Additionally we also offer:

Indoor and Outdoor pools
Hot Tub
Rock climbing wall
Tennis Courts
Yamaha ATV Riding Adventures
Treetop Trekking
Paintball
Trail Rides on Horseback
Hiking
On-site Spa
Restaurants and bars

Depending on interest we could also have available to your group:
Identified V.I.P. parking spaces.
Customized group menu
Complimentary private function room
Car wash station

IMG_2027.jpg

Stan, I never had the pleasure of meeting Alex but I was broken hearted to learn of his passing just a day or so after the benefit cruise for him last year.

We will be there rain or shine. Thanks to Mike and you for putting this cruise together.

Thought I would pop this one back to the top. Hopefully some of you folks will join up. The colours of the north? Still spectacular, shot these this morning. This promises to be a fun day with lots of cars and people joining in. Hopefully Stan or Mike will give a quick update on timing for this event scheduled to leave Toronto on Saturday morning.

FoiEtxXl.jpg

t9I5s9Zl.jpg

vvJOXkKl.jpg

Last edited:
Hey folks.

I was chatting with Mike and we agreed to post up this request to everyone for Saturday's cruise.

I know the weather reports will keep a lot of you away. Can't say that we really blame you on this. But we would like to request those that don't come out in the vettes to at least make the cruise in their daily drivers.

This is the last official cruise of the season, and it is in Alex's memory. We'd still like it for everyone to get together for this last event.

Right now, the snow seems to be limited to the Barrie and Orillia area if it does fall, so we should be good once we get north of Orillia. Plus the fall colours for the ride home should still be spectacular.

Hope to see everyone tomorrow at the King City OnRoute on Hwy 400 north of Major Mac, and a second stop at the Barrie OnRoute on Hwy 400 north of Mapleview.

Stan.

Thanks Graham, the sunrise was just spectacular this morning. My photographs did not to it justice.

Hopefully there is a good turn out tomorrow, I really do not think snow is going to be an issue. Cold maybe but no snow. Heaters on for sure!

Hopefully Stan will give the official update but it sounds like this cruise scheduled for tomorrow to Deerhurst in Huntsville has been cancelled.

Disappointing but perhaps understandable with the potential weather issues.:(

Just want to thank Stan and Mike for their efforts with this, I am sure it was a tough decision for them as well.:thumbs:

Yes it has been cancelled, but there is a small group that have booked rooms at the resort and they will be there for lunch. You can still meet them for lunch and a cruise afterwards.

Well, unexpected as it was this cruise did happen. Great day with a really nice group of Corvette enthusiasts. Snow, freezing rain who says Canadian's aren't a hardy bunch. A few shots from the run to Huntsville.

Thanks Stan, another great day.

mt3S8ykl.jpg

5itV2Qxl.jpg

zthzlLwl.jpg

7f4t80vl.jpg

2tEJdnzl.jpg

qSv68xcl.jpg

eHa5aqOl.jpg

g86Q8Frl.jpg

cXAY1H0l.jpg

gbqaO8zl.jpg

3WHchwkl.jpg

Excellent pics Murray. Here's my contribution.

So after yesterdays little fiasco, I had decided to go to Deerhurst anyways. I wasn't going to let a little snow scare me away. And from watching the Environment Canada website, I knew we weren't really going to be affected as much.

I logged onto the website first thing in the morning and I posted the forecasted weather, Rick recommended I repost the cruise was on and whomever shows up, shows up.

We were 11 cars strong when we left the King City OnRoute. Me, Scube and RDBVette are not in the pic.

Rick, Bruce, Faraz, Corrado, Al, Mike, Randy and Ryan.
IMG_0161.jpg

I remember when Rick was restoring this car in his garage. Still a wonder to behold. Well done Rick! Chrome bumper C3's are still my favorite looking vette.
IMG_0163.jpg

Paul in the red C5 joined up with us at Hwy 88 & 400. We stopped at the Barrie OnRoute to let Heino and Birgit catch up. We were now 13 cars.
IMG_0166.jpg

At about 4 degrees, it was a bit chilly. The "gang" was huddled, and cuddled, up.
IMG_0170.jpg

As we drove north on Hwy 11, the greens started to turn.
IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

As we passed through Orillia, 3 additional cars joined up with us. They are in that line back there somewhere. That now makes 16 cars.
IMG_0185.jpg

Beware of falling rocks sign are almost everywhere up north.
IMG_0188.jpg

Just north of Bracebridge, Murray in his '03 Z06 also joined the pack. That makes us 17 cars strong. :thumbs:

Of course, mother nature just couldn't let us have a day without "some" drama. Just as we pulled onto Hwy 60, the freezing rain started. You can see from the time stamps. It started at 12 noon on the dot.
vlcsnap-00002.jpg

vlcsnap-00003.jpg

It looks really bad here. :eek: I started to think we were going to be in trouble here.
IMG_0189.jpg

vlcsnap-00004.jpg

vlcsnap-00005.jpg

vlcsnap-00007.jpg

But it was all over by the time we pulled into Deerhurst 7 minutes later.
vlcsnap-00008.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

Colours on the trees were really bright.
IMG_0197.jpg

Once I got everyone settled into the restaurant, I ran out to my car to grab my phone and camera. I ran into Chris and Maureen from the LCCC. Seems they made the cruise to Deerhurst anyways and were happy to find us here. 18 cars all told, 24 people.
IMG_0199.jpg

Last edited:
Since I had cancelled lunch at the resort, I was able to get us into the Maple Pub. The food was good and the service was excellent.

Here's Murray and Al facing me with Faraz to my right.
IMG_0202.jpg

Bruce looking at the camera, sitting next to Dave. That's Randy with the hat on and Rick by the window.
IMG_0203.jpg

Maureen looking into the camera next to her hubby Chris and then Ryan with his back to me. Sarah and Paul sitting opposite from Maureen and Chris, and Rebecca sitting opposite her hubby Ryan.
IMG_0205.jpg

Casey, Bhonnie and Birgit on the right.
IMG_0207.jpg

Sandy, Richard and Heino on the left.
IMG_0209.jpg

Paul in the red sweatshirt next to his wife Mary, sitting with Gary and Diane.
IMG_0213.jpg

The menus.
IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

After lunch, I proposed we all do a group buy for Saturday's $64M 649. We all chipped in a dollar each. I am unhappy to report that our numbers did not come up.
20151018_081505.jpg

During lunch, Mike and Diane from Lucas Oil showed up to join us for the rest of the afternoon. (17 cars and 26 people. Corrado and Mike had to pull off before reaching Deerhurst as they couldn't stay for lunch.) I had to run out to buy the 649 the ticket as they didn't sell them at the resort. While I was out, Mike and Diane were able to give out some swag. I don't have any pictures of this.

After lunch, we said our goodbyes to Paul and Mary, Sandy and Casey and Gary and Diane as they had booked rooms at the resort for the weekend and didn't accompany us on the last legs of the cruise.

Long lineup of cars behind me.
IMG_0227.jpg

We did CR20 which is a twisty cottage road just off 35. I stopped to grab this pic.
IMG_0228.jpg

From here, we all made our way home. Most continued south on 35. I went north to 118 to get to Hwy 11. Randy, Chris and Maureen, and Heino and Birgit made our way to Hwy 11 where we stopped in Gravenhurst for a pit stop. We stopped at the Tim Hortons for a coffee and orange juice and we sat for about 20 minutes and then made our way home.

It was an excellent day. I think everyone had fun during the cruises and lunch. I'm glad the Heino and Birgit were able to make it as well. There was only a handful of people that actually knew Alex and we miss his dearly, but everyone expressed their condolences to his parents.

And with that, my 2015 cruising season is now over. HDR's will continue for as long as the weather holds up for us. It's been an exceptional year weather wise. We were also able to get together with the group from the Piedmont Corvette Club of Virginia for a cruise thru Niagara. And with the exception of my Bala cruise, we didn't have any rain delays and we didn't miss any HDR's.

I just want to thank everyone for making it out this year to the many cruises and the HDR and I look forward to 2016.

Watch for news on the Christmas Dinner I'm putting together on Friday Dec 11.

Until then.

Stan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12cents
Great shots and story Stan. Another fun outing.

Appreciate all you do for the group.

I have to tell you I was surprised just how much traction the Michelin Pilot Sports had in the wet and cold. I was impressed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread