Well....I took the plunge. I did the 1st lay up on the induction inlet. I WAS gonna make another topic for this but I figured the less jumping around the better. I wrapped the crap outta the LM (Layup mandrel) composite geek speak for a mold, in shipping tape while under vacuum so I can get a good consolidation. (More geek speak for compression between layers.) Its wrapped up and laid to bed till debag tommorow. ;-)
Well, after making a few errors,
1, using foam thats too friable.
2, I trimmed waaaay too much off to get symmetry as it was outta wack in the transition from oval to round on the mold.
So its a redo. I hate crappy looking work and this was looking like a dirty chunk of corn on the cob. Guess it failed Inspection boys lol. Pics tell the tale.
I used a piece of heavy tar paper to make the master FROM the car this time, and not the accordion, wrapped the tar paper in shipping tape, once shape was established, and started another lay up, minus vacuum this time. I will vacuum when I do the CF.
I laid the Carbon Fiber on the inlet. I was reluctant to use the vacuum on it as it have seen what happens to a tool box under vacuum, lol, add the fact we stuck it in the autoclave at ramped it up to 350 psi, well it didnt fair well, and our chargehand was pissed as it was his tool box lol, but sans autoclave here, I still had concerns about 28" inches of vacuum on a 3 layer layup. I think implosion may have occurred lol So,old school cut and buff after this.