Nov 17, 2013
Waterdown, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2011 ZR1
I know there are quite a few posts on some of the Corvette forums about tail of the dragon trips but I haven't seen too many comments about the road itself. While talking to some guys that have done it with motorcycles they say I would likely damage the splitter on my ZR1 because of the deep corners and have advised me not to drive the ZR1?? Though I have been on some twisties that I have scraped the lower air deflectors I haven't had to worry about the splitter being damaged. I'd like to hear from guys that have done the dragon with their Corvettes and if possible ZR1 owners. This trip is going to be a 2000+ mile round trip and I want to be prepared.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Your car will be fine. I have been to the Dragon several times in the Z06 and on bike. This link will give you first hand facts, including video of the Dragon.

http://www.technologyx.com/auto/23-...es-the-ultimate-2015-corvette-z06-test-drive/

Oh and book Fontana Lodge as it is a great hotel, has a gas station and is away from the crowd yet close to the Dragon. Also, check out other area roads like Devils Bend and Cheraholla Skyway as there is so much more there than just the Dragon. I would actually advise 421 Snake Run which is north but that is in my article as well.

Your car will be fine. I have been to the Dragon several times in the Z06 and on bike. This link will give you first hand facts, including video of the Dragon.

http://www.technologyx.com/auto/23-...es-the-ultimate-2015-corvette-z06-test-drive/

Oh and book Fontana Lodge as it is a great hotel, has a gas station and is away from the crowd yet close to the Dragon. Also, check out other area roads like Devils Bend and Cheraholla Skyway as there is so much more there than just the Dragon. I would actually advise 421 Snake Run which is north but that is in my article as well.
Thanks for the trip info. I plan on doing the Blue Ridge Parkway and then the dragon. I'll post back the highlights!
Thanks again.
Jim

Our typical route is crossing in Buffalo to Front Royale which is at the North base of the Appalachians. From there we take the top of the mountains south along Skyline Drive and only partially on the Blue Ridge. We cross over on Hwy 81 at Roanoke to Bristol where we then do Snake Run 421 and head down to Fontana Lodge which is a few minutes from the Dragon and then do the Dragon, Cheraholla, Devil's bend etc the next day. This is the route my article follows then heading to the NCM.

Just a heads up that doing the Blue Ridge Parkway further south can be very long and tedious with some crappy areas. It is single lane through the mountains with locals taking their time and you will find yourself stuck behind trucks for hours on this portion. been there done that...frustrating as hell as there is nowhere to pass, unlike Skyline Drive further North.

Don't let it intimidate you but make sure you don't get distracted on the Dragon or any of the other enthusiast roads as there are several accidents each year on these roads. In our last run of the Dragon there was an accident both times we did it restricting my video use incredibly. Try to get there for an early morning run or you feel like you are on a rope, one after another. There are always police with radar on the road as well. This map is one of the better as it shows most roads of the area, including 19 and 74 from BRP...

SmokyLoop_2015.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Our typical route is crossing in Buffalo to Front Royale which is at the North base of the Appalachians. From there we take the top of the mountains south along Skyline Drive and only partially on the Blue Ridge. We cross over on Hwy 81 at Roanoke to Bristol where we then do Snake Run 421 and head down to Fontana Lodge which is a few minutes from the Dragon and then do the Dragon, Cheraholla, Devil's bend etc the next day. This is the route my article follows then heading to the NCM.

Just a heads up that doing the Blue Ridge Parkway further south can be very long and tedious with some crappy areas. It is single lane through the mountains with locals taking their time and you will find yourself stuck behind trucks for hours on this portion. been there done that...frustrating as hell as there is nowhere to pass, unlike Skyline Drive further North.

Don't let it intimidate you but make sure you don't get distracted on the Dragon or any of the other enthusiast roads as there are several accidents each year on these roads. In our last run of the Dragon there was an accident both times we did it restricting my video use incredibly. Try to get there for an early morning run or you feel like you are on a rope, one after another. There are always police with radar on the road as well. This map is one of the better as it shows most roads of the area, including 19 and 74 from BRP...

View attachment 6205
I would second everything that has been said. Have done the Dragon a number of times, always on a Honda Goldwing. Had planned to take the C7 there this summer but ended up trading it in May - still waiting for my Grand Sport to arrive. All of the roads mentioned in that area are outstanding. We are heading out to go there on Monday. Trailering the bikes down this time and staying in Maggie Valley for nearly a week. Great place to base your operations out of for that entire area. If you do ride the dragon make a note of the day and time as there are a couple of professional photographers who sit in the bushes and take great action pictures of your drive through. You can go to their web sites and see the proofs and order them if you like them. I think Killboy is one of them. Just Google Tail of The Dragon and you should be able to find their sites. I would also caution you about trying to drive too much of the Blue Ridge as it is 469 miles long (not including the 100 miles of Skyline Drive that is the north end. The Blue Ridge is great for driving a two or three hour section and then getting off.

Reactions: AllFlash
What a great day, got to ride "The Dragon" at Deals Gap on my motorcycle this morning in perfect weather and not too much traffic. In the afternoon got an email from my dealer that my build week for my new GS is September 12, including my red calipers. Keeping my fingers crossed now. Order has been sitting in limbo since first week of June, first due to M7 transmission constraint and then due to the red brake caliper constraint. By the way the new Watkins Glen Grey colour is now an extra cost colour in Canada, around $570 I believe.

I was in Bowling Green August 08, on our way to Florida, to visit the plant and the museum, we saw this new color and it is very nice. It look awsome with red calipers. There was one with the same color combe ready to be delivered on the museum center place, my wife realy loved it. I think the M7 is the good choice, my wife prefer auto transmission soooooooo, she leave my ZR1 in the garage :Woohoo::Party:

We also went to carlisle on our way back for 2 days, so these were Corvette related vacation.

Just got back from a week of motorcycling around the North Carolina - Tennessee Blue Smokey mountains area. Unfortunately did not have the new Grand Sport but I now have a build week of september 12.

David & Hazel-Deals Gap 3  (1024x664) (640x415).jpg

David, that is quite the picture. Longest invisible selfie stick?

Nice. Great news on the GS.:thumbs:

There are at least 4 different photographers that position themselves along the "Tail of The Dragon" road at Deals Gap and they take pictures of every vehicle that goes by, literally hundreds a day. They then post little thumbnail pictures on their web site the next day and you can order a digital download for about $6.00 a file and they are great resolution. Google "Tail of The Dragon" and you can see hundreds of videos of people going through. There are other roads in the area that are just as good or even better but they have managed to create an institution around this 11 mile section called the Dragon with its 318 turns, many of them extreme.

Well it has taken me a loooooong time to report back on my trip to the Dragon (sorry!) but what a trip! I won't get into the whole thing but no issues with the splitter at all. DavidWG and AllFlash are correct there are other more treacherous roads in that area FOR SURE!! While on the Parkway it started getting late so we attempted to find our way over to the interstate to make up some time. Well the road we found to it was much much more challenging than the Tail of the Dragon (we learned that the next day after doing the Dragon) and we did it at night, pitch black on an unlit road and did it FAST. I learned my wife has a vocabulary I've never heard before! Anyway my sides were hurting from laughing. I traveled with four other Corvettes on this trip and ALL the ladies had words for me! They were all yelling at their husbands for trying to keep up with me! The Tail was well worth the trip but next time I'll plan to spend a week or two and see more.
Jim

Reactions: theboss and DavidWG
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.