I bought the reproduction colour matched bags from Corvette Central a couple of years ago. They're the ones with the dome snaps. They work fine and fit like a glove. Cargo room is limited for me and I felt the suitcase style would take up too much room.

Hi Bob.... Carry-bags. Carry-case... ?
Is this for top storage in the back of the car?
I used factory vinyl bags for a while.. Factory bags with snaps were a very tight fit for the tops. I bought some aftermarket faux leather bags with velcro. These were much better.
Then I moved on to a much better idea. I bought some 1" thick soft foam cut two pieces to fit the back area of the car. Sewed-up some covers for the foam out of terry towel material. When I take the roofs off I do the following:
I fold my seats forward, pull both foam pieces forward, place a roof in the back, put a piece of foam on top, put the 2nd roof panel on top of that, another piece of foam, and pull the retaining straps tight, fold the seats back and get in and drive away.
This all takes about 2 minutes.
To put the tops on you fold the seats forward, undo the strap, pull out a roof, install it, pull out another roof, install it, puts seats back , get in and drive away. The foam remains in the back of the car.
I've used this method for 30 years.
Graham

I considered the fact that the suitcase might take up too much space as Case75 mentioned. It costs twice as much too.
Graham where do the straps you have attach, or are they loose? You have to remember I have only had this car 2 weeks and I put it in storage. I know there is very little room behind the seats. If I have a suitcase or 2 for luggage do I put the tops on top of them?
While I have your attention----If I recall correctly this car has tilt steering (guess) does that mean it will have telescope as well? I ask because the signal switch lever (with Cruise) is broken,so I ordered a new one and I got one with "tilt and tele"---now I am second guessing my choice.
Isn't there a slide out cover 4 the cargo area? Is it strong enuf to hold the tops?
Sorry----I may know more when I get the car home!

There are tie down straps in the back...one from each side meeting in the middle just between the seats more or less. Lay them over the tops and cinch them down to hold the tops in back or anything else back there. If you have tilt wheel then you also have tele. The cover over the back is like a roll shade.

Hi Bob.. I see you have a '78. I have a '75 so things may be slightly different.
There is a T' strap to hold the tops. I have two chrome hoops on the tops of the wheel wells, in the carpet, and a third loop between the seats.. The 't' strap hooks to these loops and is cinched done to hold the roof panels.
I found a picture...
I may not have described it very well.
Maybe some instructions are in your glove box manual. I'll check mine.
Roofs go in first and cinched down, then pile stuff on top.
I believe the steering columns were either fixed OR Tilt 'N Tele combined.
The slide-out cover is just to keep sun off your contents and provide some privacy for your contents. It will not support anything.
There is plenty of room back there. We have travelled everywhere in our Corvette and with careful planning it all fits in. We've done numerous trips to Vegas, Calfornia, etc. And we don't have your big back window!
Graham

Last edited:
Okay, Thanks guys, I didn't realize there were hold down loops and straps. I'll have to have a look c. Also the car has new carpet and I want to lift it to c if the former owner has put any heat barrier underneath. Can't wait 4 this winter to move on. The new signal lever has wires for the cruise but I can't see how the "tilt and tele" will make any difference. Unless the wires are longer or shorter.
I've gotta get this Case75 guy over 4 a coffee ----he seems to have the knowledge I need to pick this car apart. Maybe ----when the cold snap leaves we can get together. I hear he has a new mill in his machine----I'd like 2c it!

Okay, Thanks guys, I didn't realize there were hold down loops and straps. I'll have to have a look c. Also the car has new carpet and I want to lift it to c if the former owner has put any heat barrier underneath. Can't wait 4 this winter to move on. The new signal lever has wires for the cruise but I can't see how the "tilt and tele" will make any difference. Unless the wires are longer or shorter.
I've gotta get this Case75 guy over 4 a coffee ----he seems to have the knowledge I need to pick this car apart. Maybe ----when the cold snap leaves we can get together. I hear he has a new mill in his machine----I'd like 2c it!

We'll certainly have to get together Bob. Snow should be gone by June I figure. :rofl: :( :mad: :swear: :canada:

Greg.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.