ve2yzb

Mar 12, 2011
Quecbec,Canada
VetteCoins
Car
1998 convertable C5
I going to change my engine oil next week...What do you guys think about synthetic oil in a LS1 motor ? Is it worth the money ? I know for sure that synthetic oil is good for cold winter start ups.....but how about for hot days? and what type of oil filter is best....??:confused:

Absolutely when you say only .Dino oil should never be used in an LS engine ,never.

Best filters are K&N ,AC Delco (GM stock) or Mobil ! filters .Keep in mind that the filter is just as important as the oil.

I change my oil at 60-70% or about 6000 -8000 miles .

All oil changes done at ECP are done using K&N oil filters and Penzoil 5W30 oil . This is the best protection for your engine and the only I will ever do an oil change !

I have heard very good things about Penzoil 5W30, even though I still use the Mobile.
I figure if an engine comes from the factory with synthetic oil in it, that's what I'll keep putting in it.

For oil filters I use Amsoil my second choice either Purlator pure 1 or Mobil
They all use a synthetic fiber, Amsoil claim is they filter down to 98.7 percent at 15 microns ISO 4548-12. keep the crap out of your oil and your engine will last longer. I also use their oil, lab tests say it is the best.
True it costs more but you get what you pay for.

Just my 2 cents...

2008 corvette owners manaul page 6-11

The engine requires a special
engine oil meeting GM Standard
GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard can be identified as
synthetic, and should also be
identified with the American
Petroleum Institute (API) Certified
for Gasoline Engines starburst
symbol. However, not all synthetic
API oils with the starburst symbol
will meet this GM standard. Look for
and use only an oil that meets GM
Standard GM4718M.

As long the oil you use meets or exceeds GM4718M standard you are fine
Amsoil exceeds this standard
could not find a LS1 owners manaul on the net but a few sites I found listed the same standard for LS1 engines
LS1 - SJ GF2 or better

Last edited:
2008 corvette owners manaul page 6-11

The engine requires a special
engine oil meeting GM Standard
GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard can be identified as
synthetic, and should also be
identified with the American
Petroleum Institute (API) Certified
for Gasoline Engines starburst
symbol. However, not all synthetic
API oils with the starburst symbol
will meet this GM standard. Look for
and use only an oil that meets GM
Standard GM4718M.

As long the oil you use meets or exceeds GM4718M standard you are fine
Amsoil exceeds this standard
could not find a LS1 owners manaul on the net but a few sites I found listed the same standard for LS1 engines
LS1 - SJ GF2 or better

The OP should have his manual.

use 0/30 synthetic amsoil/amoil filter here for last couple of years........... protection at startup when almost all wear occurs....bit more power as well. As long as oil pressure is good....mine never sees below 40 even in the heat so I am safe.
Some really interesting backup on the internet if you are so inclined to do a search. I do believe as well though that any synthetic is outstanding protection.

Perhaps it is being cynical but do you ever wonder if Mobil paid GM to put their emblem on the Corvette oil fill cap? I can't think of better place for advertising your oil. Back in the day, I put close to 200K miles on our 427 Chevelle using off the shelf regular name band oils. The miles weren't all easy. No synthetics back then. When I tore the engine down, the crank was still fine and the pistons slid right out of the bores without ridge reaming. The bores were still good too. Are the oils REALLY all that much better today, or are we being fed a lot of hype? Lowering zinc levels to help save catalytic converters from contamination, wreaked havoc on flat tappet cams. A bottle of GM EOS seemed to keep my engines safe while still using off the shelf name brand standard oils. I'm not saying that synthetics aren't good but do they warrant the ridiculous prices charged for them? You might check www.chevelles.com and search for tests that Scott Wheaton had done on oils. It's hard to argue with independent lab results.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure Mobil 1 paid GM a lot of money to put their symbol on the filler tube cap. I'm also sure that Mobil 1 works just fine for our engine. I have heard really good things about Pennzoil synthetic but have not done the research and will look for Scotts tests as it sounds interesting.

The difference between Pennzoil and Mobil 1 being on our filler cap would most likely be who paid GM the most, then again, maybe Mobile 1 was the best synthetic available in 95-97 or whenever they were looking for a supplier. Maybe they were the only ones to meet the quantity required or because Porsche and other high end cars were using Mobil 1, GM wanted to be included in that group. My guess would be money, but there were probably a few other things that got Mobile 1 on there.

You probably won't go wrong if you use the proper weight and an API certified synthetic oil for the year of engine no matter what the brand. (provided synthetic is specified).

I believe that to be the basic requirement rather than brand.

C.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.