YFCvii

Power User
Beta
Oct 10, 2016
VetteCoins
Sending out an inquiry on whether anyone has swapped out the C7 Interior Back Hatch Lights and the C7 License Plate Lights with LED replacements? Thinking it would be nice to illuminate our Personalized Plates with White Light rather than having the dim incandescent tint ...
:rolleyes:

If one has taken this on, would you be kind to add to this thread on whether there are certain LED lights to avoid or better yet,
the LED lights that you have had success with and where you were able to obtain them from.
Like maybe available at Canadian Tire? This seems like a fairly easy task to undertake ...
:Confused5:

For some reason, with the abundance of LED lighting on our C7's, there has been an exception for these two locations.
I am considering this as one of my "hibernation projects"
even though it will only take about the same amount of time as it does to sneeze ...
and that my ever-growing "honey-do list" (like painting walls) will remain unavoidable.
:meh:

Thanks!
:)

Last edited:
I changed the rear plate light and the hatch to led lights. Easy switch, and the light is brighter and whiter. Also changed the front and rear marker lights to led white to match the colour of my car. The are also brighter and all work quite well.

Sending out an inquiry on whether anyone has swapped out the C7 Interior Back Hatch Lights and the C7 License Plate Lights with LED replacements? Thinking it would be nice to illuminate our Personalized Plates with White Light rather than having the dim incandescent tint ...
:rolleyes:

If one has taken this on, would you be kind to add to this thread on whether there are certain LED lights to avoid or better yet,
the LED lights that you have had success with and where you were able to obtain them from.
Like maybe available at Canadian Tire? This seems like a fairly easy task to undertake ...
:Confused5:

For some reason, with the abundance of LED lighting on our C7's, there has been an exception for these two locations.
I am considering this as one of my "hibernation projects"
even though it will only take about the same amount of time as it does to sneeze ...
and that my ever-growing "honey-do list" (like painting walls) will remain unavoidable.
:meh:

Thanks!
:)

So when I searched for C7 LED accessories I got this....
IMG_6431.PNG

Recommend using the word Corvette in your search...these look a bit difficult to fit, although some are kind of nice Spence.

:tongue2:

OK back on topic ...
GM Dealers know nothing ... just have the yellowish ambient glow bulbs ... oh joy! :bucktooth:
Canadian Tire has just changed stock to Sylvania Bulbs (13.99 each) ... they have one LED in them pointing straight out the top of the bulb ... but the so-called lens cover is suppose to "scatter" the LED ambience. ... YYSSW! The Sylvania bulbs are returned :bucktooth:
So off to Auto Value ... they have a two-pack 194LED Bulbs (list $22.57) for $16.97 and these have 5 LEDs per bulb. :cool:

Installing real easy but the bulbs have a right way and a wrong way. For the Interior Hatch space ....
Open hatch and wait for the two inside yellow lights to go out (it may take a while). You don't want to install the LEDs when powered-on right away.
Once the lights dim out, switch out bulbs. The lights pop out at one end with a small flathead screwdriver.
Close the hatch and reopen to see if the lights come on. If one doesn't, it needs to be rotated in the socket.
Repeat the replacement making sure the lights are dimmed out first. Do not do this with power to the socket.

Licence Plate lights are just a easy.
Pop out the Licence Plate light and rotate the cover off the socket (the plastic lens comes off)
Switch out the bulbs. Then open you driver door (with key fob nearby) so that the exterior lights come on.
Check the back licence plate lights to make sure they are on.
Rotate the bulb(s) that are not working (after the lights go off ... do not touch exposed LEDs).
Retest the lights by opening the driver door again.
Twist the plastic lens cover back on and pop them back into the bump panel.

... YYSSW ... I couldn't wait for winter ... but I didn't want this thread to gain yet more messages of when Christmas Lights going on sale.:Shifty:
The task is done and what a difference it is - nice white interior lighting and the personalized plate pops! :thumbs:
... as must do for people with nothing better to do ... now it's off to my "honey-do" list :Sour:

and the two Sylvania bulbs that I opened and could not return work perfectly for my Sierra Licence Plate Lights ... these use a top directional LED bulbs.

Last edited:
OK back on topic ...
GM Dealers know nothing ... just have the yellowish ambient glow bulbs ... oh joy! :bucktooth:
Canadian Tire has just changed stock to Sylvania Bulbs (13.99 each) ... they have one LED in them pointing straight out the top of the bulb ... but the so-called lens cover is suppose to "scatter" the LED ambience. ... YYSSW! The Sylvania bulbs are returned :bucktooth:
So off to Auto Value ... they have a two-pack 194LED Bulbs (list $22.57) for $16.97 and these have 5 LEDs per bulb. :cool:

Installing real easy but the bulbs have a right way and a wrong way. For the Interior Hatch space ....
Open hatch and wait for the two inside yellow lights to go out (it may take a while). You don't want to install the LEDs when powered-on right away.
Once the lights dim out, switch out bulbs. The lights pop out at one end with a small flathead screwdriver.
Close the hatch and reopen to see if the lights come on. If one doesn't, it needs to be rotated in the socket.
Repeat the replacement making sure the lights are dimmed out first. Do not do this with power to the socket.

Licence Plate lights are just a easy.
Pop out the Licence Plate light and rotate the cover off the socket (the plastic lens comes off)
Switch out the bulbs. Then open you driver door (with key fob nearby) so that the exterior lights come on.
Check the back licence plate lights to make sure they are on.
Rotate the bulb(s) that are not working (after the lights go off ... do not touch exposed LEDs).
Retest the lights by opening the driver door again.
Twist the plastic lens cover back on and pop them back into the bump panel.

... YYSSW ... I couldn't wait for winter ... but I didn't want this thread to gain yet more messages of when Christmas Lights going on sale.:Shifty:
The task is done and what a difference it is - nice white interior lighting and the personalized plate pops! :thumbs:
... as must do for people with nothing better to do ... now it's off to my "honey-do" list :Sour:

and the two Sylvania bulbs that I opened and could not return work perfectly for my Sierra Licence Plate Lights ... these use a top directional LED bulbs.

Well that worked out great. Happy to hear it.
So Spence..you don't like Christmas lights huh... ;)

Reactions: YFCvii
Purchased many different leds from dt-autotech on eBay. Changed out all of my bulbs in my 70 for led lamps from him. Great leds, great prices and very reasonable shipping. Simply search the seller in advanced search and then search for the specific bulb numbers. Let me know what you find. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread