Sep 9, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2014 Z51 corvette
Province
ON
I was just putting this out there!! Has anyone eliminated the stock x pipe on a C7 and installed two straight pipes in 3" diameter stainless tubing eliminating the secondary cats.. Will this increase air flow and give it a rumble... I can get a buddy to make up 2 straight pipes for me at a very cheap cost.... Just wondering if it would work or should I buy the Corsa double X pipe??? thx

The X-pipe is their to balance both sides of the V8 and scavenging the exhaust. As I recall it was first used in Nascar. You will reduce performance by taking it out. Better off improving it. Also, increasing exhaust size can also decrease performance. I'm not saying it specifically will with a C7, but that can happen as back pressure is important.

Reactions: Pocono kid
I was just putting this out there!! Has anyone eliminated the stock x pipe on a C7 and installed two straight pipes in 3" diameter stainless tubing eliminating the secondary cats.. Will this increase air flow and give it a rumble... I can get a buddy to make up 2 straight pipes for me at a very cheap cost.... Just wondering if it would work or should I buy the Corsa double X pipe??? thx

@Murray is correct. Increasing exhaust pipe diameter does affect performance. Backpressure and maintaining exhaust temperature through the pipes are important factors and these cars are tuned accordingly. Larger pipes equal slower exhaust movement which results in exhaust temperatures cooling somewhat before they exit. Cooler exhaust is both heavier and denser than hot exhaust which means your engine is working harder to push those cooler gases through the system. Bite the bullet and install the Corsa and if you want the full potential of a new performance X-pipe, don't cheap out and install the axle backs at the same time. JMO

Do you have npp? I would be really hesitant chopping off the mufflers before you listen to some youtube vids. Before I did an AWE axleback I did an x pipe that deleted the secondary non monitored cat. Made a great improvement on sound while keeping NPP. No drone

Be cautious. More and more municipalities are enforcing noise by-laws regularly now. We even have noise check stops now for vehicles and they are handing out tickets and forcing drivers to remedy and appear back to prove it has been fixed.

• Wow
Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Be cautious. More and more municipalities are enforcing noise by-laws regularly now. We even have noise check stops now for vehicles and they are handing out tickets and forcing drivers to remedy and appear back to prove it has been fixed.
I hope they are also hitting motorcycle straight pipes. Ya, they may think they sound great, but when you get them driving by your house as many as 100 at a time it gets very irritating. Ya, 100 going by doesn't happen often, but all summer long we get them driving by 1 to 4 every hour and many times on weekends convoys go by. We must be on a route from somewhere to Port Perry.
And some of them have radios blaring so they can hear the radio and over their exhaust! lOL

Reactions: Pocono kid and Dik
The "authorities" have been camping out on Lakeshore Rd in Oakville the past 2 or 3 summers, close to retirement homes, testing db levels from......mainly motorcycles.
They run a "no charge" day once in while. (one can only imagine the outcome from something "free", from that crowd).
I've never been involved, but a harley riding buddy was. His bike is loud, but it wasn't above the threshold.
There's a specific set of measurements, i.e. distance at a 45° angle, etc etc that I'm assuming could be beat easily enough in court.

• Informative
Reactions: Murray20c8
I have to chime in on this one purely because I am also a very involved motorcycle rider. The Doppler Effect - anyone heard of this before?
Its quite interesting when I had my full harley decker FLHTCU it was a requirement amongst the brotherhood to adorn the loudest pipes possible. I chose a 2 into 1 Vance and Hines solution. Adorned the bike with all of the required chrome and oh yes increased my sound system so now I could actually hammer tunes out from the front fairing. It was insane - reminiscent of Bob Segar " Turn The Page " ... Hear the echos of the amplifier ringing in your head! I had a close friend who also did the same but added fosgate amps , as he thought everyone in town should hear him and his engine no matter how far away they were. ...

Years later when I bought my 2010 C6 it came with Borla Exhaust - one trip from my farm to Burlington and I offered them up for even trade for a regular exhaust - DRONE was insane and yes when you put your head down on the pillow all you heard was the ringing in your ears! SO now I ride a BMW K1600GT ( 6 cyl - rocketship ) all factory exhaust and I wear a Schuberth Helmet as it is rated as one of the top in the world for sound reduction. My point after it is all said and done. What is the ultimate gain here for a street ride? Chances are no one will hear it only you and those who do hear wont know it is you until you roar past, so no one will see you coming :) Doppler Effect
I know call me an old man ...

Reactions: Pocono kid
Stock NPP exhaust is fine. I run with it open the majority of the time. (It barks at startup nicely :*)) Sounds nice but doesn't piss off the neighbors. I've done the B&B, Corsa route with my last two Vettes and soon got tired of the drone and the headaches especially when travelling. Now when doing miles on the highway the exhaust is closed, susp on Tour and it's a great GT car. Best of both worlds

I have the Stock NPP and the Borla X Pipe (60547 ) with the Cat delete. The exhaust sounds awesome, nice rumble with some pops and burble.

I realize my comment is subjective but I don't like rasp or drone and find my set up suits me perfectly.

Reactions: Cannonball Rally
Do you have npp? I would be really hesitant chopping off the mufflers before you listen to some youtube vids. Before I did an AWE axleback I did an x pipe that deleted the secondary non monitored cat. Made a great improvement on sound while keeping NPP. No drone
Hey do you have any videos of the exhaust sound? Looking to do the same thing

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.