I believe the "full" tank for winter storage came about when the fuel tanks were metal. Leaving air in the tank (less than full) could cause tank corrosion. Most fuel tanks are now plastic so there is no problem with corrosion. Would still go with some kind of fuel stabilizer as six month old gas will not be prime stuff to start up with in the spring. Would actually prefer some space in the tank and make my first run in the spring to the gas station to get some fresh fuel.

• Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
I believe the "full" tank for winter storage came about when the fuel tanks were metal. Leaving air in the tank (less than full) could cause tank corrosion. Most fuel tanks are now plastic so there is no problem with corrosion. Would still go with some kind of fuel stabilizer as six month old gas will not be prime stuff to start up with in the spring. Would actually prefer some space in the tank and make my first run in the spring to the gas station to get some fresh fuel.
From the gas station to the parking should do it..

Agreed Richard. I like to put in some fresh fuel ASAP in the spring so I left a bit of room too. Stabilizer goes in this weekend when I get home. Not a scientific thing... just what was left in the tank when I parked it.
Yes true about the plastic tanks not having the rot problem. Jeffy comments were about gunk on the level sensors when leaving too much fuel in. Now we worry about running the cars below 1/4 in the tanks as electric fuel pumps can fail. Different era... different drama. 😂

46E0E75E-93F4-48D3-91DB-DFA0A376DF3C.jpeg

I like how there is such variety in our fall rituals. 👍

I like how there is such variety in our fall rituals. 👍

What would get my attention here is if someone (we know) shares a fall ritual failure ...
and not that I want anyone's ritual to fail at all ... just knowing what didn't work.
Otherwise it's pretty much chalking up as a "whatever floats your boat" ... and all appear to be working :thumbs:
oh damn ... that reminds me, I still gotta check my boat (before October ends) ... :WillyNilly: ...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.