Great info. I was already storing the car with a low amount of fuel but for a different reason. even with stabil in the fuel, my supercharge LS9 dont like 5 months old gas and get sluggish until fresh gas . Now, when taking it out of storage, I drive the car until I have the message of low fuel then I fill it up and trow a bottle of techron in it.

The sensor is pretty always in the fuel in my cars as I am really one who will not have
my fuel tank below 1/2 unless I am on a trip and between stops. I guess it becomes
matter of being damned if I do and damned if I don't.
I am curious to know how much of a problem this has already actually been over all these years
with Corvettes having these sensors that are being reported here to being (apparently) unsuitable
for the fluid that they are purposed for and yet designed to be immersed in :Confused5:
... or am I missing something else ...
Oh well ... should anyone else be topped up with fuel and ready for blast-off
at any time during their sportscar life, you can know ... you are not alone ...

I was always taught to keep the tank full for condensation reasons. Good advice for a car with a steel tank.
The bit in the video about the venting of the tanks through the charcoal to knock out the hydrocarbons makes sense but it doesn’t control moisture. But with the plastic tank it really does not matter.
I never run the car with less than 1/4 tank to protect the fuel pump from overheating... which was a known issue in the 90s on vehicles. Is it relevant anymore?
So here we are in almost 2019... things are different now. We have to now consider other woes like ethanol and the negative effects of it sitting in our tanks. Even repairing fuel tank issues in a modern corvette is a nightmare. Wow so much torn off the car to get the tanks out. 😱

So .... old dogs and new tricks for us it seems.

I was always taught to keep the tank full for condensation reasons. Good advice for a car with a steel tank.
The bit in the video about the venting of the tanks through the charcoal to knock out the hydrocarbons makes sense but it doesn’t control moisture. But with the plastic tank it really does not matter.
I never run the car with less than 1/4 tank to protect the fuel pump from overheating... which was a known issue in the 90s on vehicles. Is it relevant anymore?
So here we are in almost 2019... things are different now. We have to now consider other woes like ethanol and the negative effects of it sitting in our tanks. Even repairing fuel tank issues in a modern corvette is a nightmare. Wow so much torn off the car to get the tanks out. 😱

So .... old dogs and new tricks for us it seems.
I use Chevron 94 which, I believe does not have ethanol? I hear Shell V-Power is great as well - not sure if it has ethanol. For all the driving I do: only 9000 Km is three years, I do not think it really matters. I watch F1 racing on T.V. once in a while and it looks like they use Shell. I think the CPU in these cars adjusts for the octane etc. anyway - BWTFDIK (decipher - LOL)

I found I have to go to Shell stand-alone Stations here in YYC for ethanol free v-power. I pulled up to Shell pumps at Flying-J and saw “may contain ethanol stickers” on the pumps. Of course nobody inside knew anything so although a corvette filling up with the big rigs nearby gained attention, I did not follow through.
I had non-fueling stops at a flying j in Brooks and Sherwood Park over the Summer but forgot to look at the pumps.
We always refuel at either Shell or CO-OP with all our vehicles (ethanol free)

... sorry off topic ... so I will add “filled full” to my fuel stops (including the one just before hibernation) .... 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: ddgermann
From the old days I still top up my summer toys with premium fuel to sit for the winter. I guess I should stop, with the plastic tanks we have now. I understood that the fuel sensor issue is GM wide and was only from 2000 to 2007. Then they figured out how to make a fuel sender again. I know of a 2001 GMC and a 2006 Trailblazer with that problem around here. Some forums have Corvette owners with the same thing. Many say Techron is supposed to help. Certainly can't hurt. Going to Bismarck for New Years. Will be bringing a case or 2 back. In the mean time I have been hoping that Sea Foam will keep the sensor happy. The thought of having to pull the tanks on my Vette gives me nightmares. It's the connections from one side to the other that look impossible.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread