Sep 30, 2021
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
21 Vette Z51
Province
ON
Question about storage for all the beautiful people ........ any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !

Gonna start my mega garage build ... It will fit 3 cars about just under 1000 sq.ft. so that means the Vette will go into storage ...

Storage unit has no outlet ... so should I ....

1. Park it as is ... go and start it periodically ( the storage facility is very close to where I live )

2. Park it ... pull the battery and put it on trickle charge at home .

3. Park it as is and forget about it ( doubt that would be any good )

Im thinking to pull the battery ... and leave it ... it will probably sit for several months ... would that affect the car in any way ?

Again .. any thoughts or creative ideas would be greatly appreciated !

You shouldn't just start a car in storage. That won't heat the oil enough to burn off all the moisture. If it was me I'd pull the battery and keep it at home without the charger on it. A few months in a warm basement will do it no harm. I've kept them for about 5 months sitting on cold concrete (Urban legend).

Reactions: Vettenut
You shouldn't just start a car in storage. That won't heat the oil enough to burn off all the moisture. If it was me I'd pull the battery and keep it at home without the charger on it. A few months in a warm basement will do it no harm. I've kept them for about 5 months sitting on cold concrete (Urban legend).
Thanks for that ..... What about the car itself .... sitting with no battery for like 8 or 9 months ?

Thanks for that ..... What about the car itself .... sitting with no battery for like 8 or 9 months ?
Like Murray said pull the battery out, take it home and then connect your trickle charger a week or so before you put the car back on the road. When you put the battery back in the car it will take a little while for everything to “ wake up “ . The system will connect to the network and check for updates and will set the time etc and all will be good. I hope you have a good reason for not driving it for 9 months. Even here in the land of ice and snow it’s 6 months at the most, lol . I will be removing my battery when the time comes.

The car will be fine if it sits for 6 months. I used to inflate the "non run flats" to 40 PSI just so it's easier to get the flat spots out, but you will get a multitude of opinions on this. Just take everything with a grain of salt. In the long haul nothing will really hurt your car too much.

The car will be fine if it sits for 6 months. I used to inflate the "non run flats" to 40 PSI just so it's easier to get the flat spots out, but you will get a multitude of opinions on this. Just take everything with a grain of salt. In the long haul nothing will really hurt your car too much.
Ya . GM say something about tires when storing the vehicle or when it sits for extended periods. Can’t remember exactly what but the gist of it was you could get flat spots. Very easy to raise the car and lower the 4 lift points on to some 18 inch lengths of 8x8 . Takes the weight of the tires and suspension. No need for salt with this one , lol.

Ya . GM say something about tires when storing the vehicle or when it sits for extended periods. Can’t remember exactly what but the gist of it was you could get flat spots. Very easy to raise the car and lower the 4 lift points on to some 18 inch lengths of 8x8 . Takes the weight of the tires and suspension. No need for salt with this one , lol.
Now your shocks are sitting at extended travel where they aren't used to go. ;)
Take "everything" with a grain of salt! :p

Question about storage for all the beautiful people ........ any thoughts would be greatly appreciated !

Gonna start my mega garage build ... It will fit 3 cars about just under 1000 sq.ft. so that means the Vette will go into storage ...

Storage unit has no outlet ... so should I ....

1. Park it as is ... go and start it periodically ( the storage facility is very close to where I live )

2. Park it ... pull the battery and put it on trickle charge at home .

3. Park it as is and forget about it ( doubt that would be any good )

Im thinking to pull the battery ... and leave it ... it will probably sit for several months ... would that affect the car in any way ?

Again .. any thoughts or creative ideas would be greatly appreciated !
Pump tires to 40 lbs. , at least and plug in battery maintenance kit and that is it. Oh, washed and dried before. ;)

Like Murray said pull the battery out, take it home and then connect your trickle charger a week or so before you put the car back on the road. When you put the battery back in the car it will take a little while for everything to “ wake up “ . The system will connect to the network and check for updates and will set the time etc and all will be good. I hope you have a good reason for not driving it for 9 months. Even here in the land of ice and snow it’s 6 months at the most, lol . I will be removing my battery when the time comes.
Yea I know its gonna be hard leaving the Vette for that extended period .... but Im starting the build and we only have a few months before the actual storage season starts ( isnt that terrible ) ... ;)

• Sad
Reactions: 1st Vette
When some cars sit on dealers' lots for months at a time they don't raise the car or put dryer sheets in the cars or plastic/rubber/carpet under the tires.
From GM . In the owners manual.
Vehicle Storage
Tires age when stored normally mounted on
a parked vehicle. Park a vehicle that will be
stored for at least a month in a cool, dry,
clean area away from direct sunlight to slow
aging. This area should be free of grease,
gasoline, or other substances that can
deteriorate rubber.
Parking for an extended period can cause
flat spots on the tires that may result in
vibrations while driving. When storing a
vehicle for at least a month, remove the
tires or raise the vehicle to reduce the weight from the tires.

Yea I know its gonna be hard leaving the Vette for that extended period .... but Im starting the build and we only have a few months before the actual storage season starts ( isnt that terrible ) ... ;)
Take the beater to the storage unit, pick up Vette. Drive the Vette back to storage, drive beater home...

Just curious as to how a mouse could access the passenger compartment ?
Mice can get into any car. All they need is an opening the size of a dime.
My brother had a C4 vette, stored it in his garage every year, did not use anything to deter them.
One year, he was driving his vette during the rain and it suddenly stalled in the middle of traffic.
Everytime he drove in the rain, the car would stall, culprit were mice that chewed all the insulation on the wiring...was a nightmare.

• Scared
Mice can get into any car. All they need is an opening the size of a dime.
My brother had a C4 vette, stored it in his garage every year, did not use anything to deter them.
One year, he was driving his vette during the rain and it suddenly stalled in the middle of traffic.
Everytime he drove in the rain, the car would stall, culprit were mice that chewed all the insulation on the wiring...was a nightmare.
I got mice in my Camaro. No idea how they got in there. I agree if they want in they'll find a way.
I got mice in my C8 engine compartment. The pooped in this area. They didn't even have the decency to hit the hole!

1721156499453.png