Noticed this system with stereo, navigation and back-up camera.

Priced out the items and it looks like about at least $1800 CDN for the dash panel, stereo, back-up camera and wiring harness. It sure looks like alot of work to install. The video is long because of the installation and may be beyond the abilities of the average diy.

Not exactly a high-end solution, but for $40 at Best Buy, I got a bluetooth FM transmitter that powers off the 12v lighter plug. Pair your phone to the transmitter, tune the factory stereo to an empty FM station and that's it.
Hands free phone and all the music Spotify can throw at me.
When you lock in on a really empty FM station the sound is great.

A bluetooth FM transmitter really is a very cost effective solution, and is very practical. I have a couple of 32GB micro SD cards for my phone that I can load a TON of music onto, or stream, and integrate google navigation, etc. I have done this for many years with work trucks that you can't change the radio in, but you can still get what you want.

So since the original stereo has no Bluetooth and such was wondering what folks have done to change there factory stereo? Kinda like the option of keeping the factory 10 disc changer in the back as well . Any pictures of what has been done? Thanks
☝🏻 That device above looks interesting ☝🏻

Sounds like the same (very similar) 10 disc remote unit design that I had in my 1998 Grandprix GTP.
I struggled in my search for a hands free option with that specific unit all the way up to sadly parting with that awesome Pontiac.
My search stopped but it would be interesting if a remedy is now available ... and if only I waited.
I too did not want to take any of the "factory look" away from the dash - other than for the entertainment unit (if needed).
I also did not really like having to plug something into the "cigarette lighter" outlet.
I think it was in a difficult spot and projected out toward my shifter (I think).

For me, Bluetooth was for merely being able to go hands free with a smartphone upgrade and so
I ended up with a crazy looking Bose Earpiece that was absolutely awesome ... but I hated the idea of the contraption in my ear.

I also did not really like having to plug something into the "cigarette lighter" outlet.
I think it was in a difficult spot and projected out toward my shifter (I think).

I found a very slim transmitter that fits in the 12v socket in the arm-rest. All that comes out is a single wire and a controller about the size of a twonie. Sits on the passenger seat if I'm riding solo, or in the co-pilot/DJ's hand if I'm lucky enough to have company. All tucks inside the arm-rest if I'm not using it, super clean.

After finding this thread I just ordered one of these units from Best Buy last night, so we'll see how good the sound is.
My 1996 GMC dually still has a cassette player in it, and I was able to find an adapter that plugged into my phone and you shoved the cassette part into the player and I can play music from my phone

Best Buy still sells the cassette adaptor? You've got to be kidding, and I hope this is just a good joke, because it really is. The magnetic tranferance from the adaptor to the cassette reader head is awful. An FM transmitter works significantly better, and there is no cord!

Its funny when you talk about cassette tapes. My son seen a 8 track tape and didnt have a clue what it was lol
I remember the faux alligator-skin "briefcase" my parents had in the back seat of the Monte Carlo, probably 24 8-track cassettes. Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell artwork always triggers that flashback.

Had a lot of Styx, Trooper and Meatloaf of Course.
and Columbia House Get Eight 8 tracks for a Penny
then buy 8 more at regular price over the next 12 months (something like that).
Now that was a teen-staple and a lesson for life ...
download.jpgR-4906429-1379065346-3942.jpeg.jpg616WYO1LlYL._SY550_.jpg81SZg1QJq6L._SY550_.jpg

Most important is the memory it brings back with was my Grandpa teaching and helping
me install the under-dash player and then speakers into the back dash ... fresh from Radio Shack ...
I was so pi$$ed every time I hit a bump in the road and the music skipped.

Last edited:
I found that cassette adapter last year in a Canadian Tire Store !!!
Best Buy still sells the cassette adaptor? You've got to be kidding, and I hope this is just a good joke, because it really is. The magnetic tranferance from the adaptor to the cassette reader head is awful. An FM transmitter works significantly better, and there is no cord!

I found that cassette adaptor in a Canadian Tire store last year lol
Now that I am getting this new FM transmitter thingy I can put the cassette adaptor to rest LOL

• Haha
Reactions: YFCvii
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.