Aug 25, 2011
Kootenays SE British Columbia
VetteCoins
Car
1984 Z51
Ok you guys might need to sit down for this. I have been looking at a viper. 2nd gen viper. 2002. It's old but still fast 500 lb/ft of torque. Low 12's. 0-60 in 4 seconds. They look like they have bottomed out in price. I have always liked that original styling. It's a GTS, the one with the solid roof.

Make sure you drive the car on rough road before you buy. I must admit I'm a little biased but I was working on one recently and took it for a road test. Power yes lots, but if you ran over a dime you'd be able to tell if it were heads or tails. A good car for the track but not a multi purpose car in MY opinion. Glad to get back into my ZR1. Power AND reasonably comfortable to drive on rough roads.

Hi Nelson84 -

It sounds like you're really close to jumping in! It's exciting - I'm a Viper fan too.

In 2011, we bought a '93 Gen1 RT/10 and drove it for 4 summers. It was super unique and ticked the bucket list box. When the C7s came out, it was time to let the uncivilized fun factor go. We traded her in on a new 2015 vette. I don't regret it for a second!

I realize the Gen 2s are much improved for driveability. So, some of this might be moot. But what the heck - may as well share some of the real world drivability factors to consider. They are not easy to drive. We have many fast cars, but the Viper is quite uncivilized! Ours literally bucked at low speeds in 1st under 30k/hr. Race gear ratios I presume? Though, she was stock. She scared me silly once in the rain even with brand new tires. As a gal, I don't have that raw power need for speed... but my hubby had to be especially careful with no traction control and size 13 feet. The pedals are crowded and skewed right (like Ferrari does?) and the cockpit (both sides) heats up enough to fry the rubber off your shoes. Make sure yours has A/C! Many parts are getting super hard to find, bordering on obsolete.

If you get a wicked deal, I think the fun factor is so worth it! Not that you need any approval - except maybe your wife's LOL! Please keep us updated - love to know if you bought it. Just in case you need any more nudging... a few pics at our place with da Viper gang. Ours was the black roadster.

Franci

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    733.7 KB · Views: 21
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.