Black Vettes Matter
Regular
Dec 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z51 Owner
Province
MB
Ever since I got my vette back from having the harmonic balancer replaced I've had steering wheel vibration/shake at hwy speed especially when passing. Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. I know my mechanic had the whole front suspension apart to get access. Hopefully it's a quick fix and I'm not chasing the problem.

Spoke to my mechanic this morning, he thinks its a wheel balancing issue.... but he just mounted and balanced my new wheels a month ago, this only started once the front end was pulled apart. Oh well, its going in tomorrow.

I could believe that. When I replaced my front wheels I noticed one of the weights was gone. They were mounted so close to the brake caliper there would have been little margin. When I got the new wheels balanced I asked them to put the weights away from the edge.

Maybe a wheel weight got knocked off when they took the tires off to get at the suspension? Hopefully the issue gets resolved for you!

• Wow
Reactions: ddgermann
You sure this did not happen before the harmonic balancer was replaced?

I ask because when I changed my wheels the car became impossible to drive. The problem turned out to be the sheet metal "speed nuts" that the factory used to hold the rotors on during manufacturing. The wheel would not sit flat on the rotor head. The original factory wheels were machined for clearance of the nuts most aftermarket wheels are not.

Just a thought. Good luck.

You sure this did not happen before the harmonic balancer was replaced?

I ask because when I changed my wheels the car became impossible to drive. The problem turned out to be the sheet metal "speed nuts" that the factory used to hold the rotors on during manufacturing. The wheel would not sit flat on the rotor head. The original factory wheels were machined for clearance of the nuts most aftermarket wheels are not.

Just a thought. Good luck.

I didn't notice anything before the harmonic balancer was replaced. A month prior when I had the new rubber put on I also used AMT hub centric spacers front and rear with longer ARP studs for the back, then the ZR1 replica wheels, no issues.

was it wheel balance or something else?

Sorry for the late follow up. Yes the wheels needed to be rebalanced. I'm not sure if they were using dollar store glue or maybe no name gum to stick the weights on. But 3 out of the 4 wheels were missing them lol. I've heard of them occasionally coming off, but seriously I just had them done this spring and 3 out of 4! I live rural and only drive hwy so not a nice image to think of metal flying off my car at a high rate of speed either. Needless to say they used a different kind this round. I'm going to get the oil done at the end of the month and will have them re checked.

good you got it fixed. The rim really has to be clean for tape weights to stick . I never liked them as it is common for the glue to let go and they fly off. So what I started doing is putting a little dab of clear silicone on the ends for added insurance, and even on the hammer on lead weights I put a dab just to help keep them on.

Reactions: AxeZ06
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.