R

RockyPM

So I installed the Steering Column Lock Bypass module last summer as I was starting to have the occasional issue of the car not starting and the dreaded "Service Column Lock" displayed on the dash. All has been well until today.....
Started the car in the garage this morning and the display showed the message then disappeared. Thought that was odd and continued on to work. Went to go for lunch and the car won't start. It does not display the message but the service engine engine block graphic is showing. Anyone with a C6 ever have this happen with the bypass installed? Wife will be picking me up and I'll bring back my tools and it's open the dash surgery and make sure all connections are tight.

Going to be a fun evening diagnosing this issue. thank goodness its in my offices underground parking.

Stay tuned.......

No issues like that on mine Paul. Just a wonky airbag light that seems to be off lately more than on. Hoping for you it’s nothing serious.

First I’ve heard of the C6 having this issue. That totally sucks. I installed a bypass kit on my C5 nearly 10 years ago and it’s been good ever since (knock on wood). How’s your battery? If the C6 is anything like the C5, gremlins start poking up when batteries start getting weak.

So went home and got my tools and went back to the office parking. I didn't realize how warm the garage is 5 floors below ground! Opened up the dash and unplugged the bypass box. Plugged the original wiring back in and the car fired up! Home safe and sound now. I've called West Coast Corvettes and a new bypass is on the way. The failed one came from corvettes of Houston and don't know if I just got a dud or theres a bigger issue but should be operational by cruise weekend!

The C6 has the same issue as the C5 for the column lock and there's a few different companies that make a bypass so the column doesn't lock and then fail. thenks @Riley P battery is all good, tested it as well. Googled the bypass failing and couldn't really find much on others having this issue. (Didn't spend a long time on it though)

Happy you don't have the issue @MikeysZ06 ,it's a PITA. I found it was happening when my steering column got hot, ie: hot summer day and car is sitting with the roof down. Got the original bypass when the car was sitting in the sun, +28 and could barely touch the steering column. I put the roof up, covered the column with a cloth from the truck, opened both doors and thankfully there was a cross breeze blowing. Took about 20 minutes but it cooled enough for it to reset. Was lucky!

The good part about this is I can open up a C6 dash in a matter of minutes now!
dash apart.jpeg

So went home and got my tools and went back to the office parking. I didn't realize how warm the garage is 5 floors below ground! Opened up the dash and unplugged the bypass box. Plugged the original wiring back in and the car fired up! Home safe and sound now. I've called West Coast Corvettes and a new bypass is on the way. The failed one came from corvettes of Houston and don't know if I just got a dud or theres a bigger issue but should be operational by cruise weekend!

The C6 has the same issue as the C5 for the column lock and there's a few different companies that make a bypass so the column doesn't lock and then fail. thenks @Riley P battery is all good, tested it as well. Googled the bypass failing and couldn't really find much on others having this issue. (Didn't spend a long time on it though)

Happy you don't have the issue @MikeysZ06 ,it's a PITA. I found it was happening when my steering column got hot, ie: hot summer day and car is sitting with the roof down. Got the original bypass when the car was sitting in the sun, +28 and could barely touch the steering column. I put the roof up, covered the column with a cloth from the truck, opened both doors and thankfully there was a cross breeze blowing. Took about 20 minutes but it cooled enough for it to reset. Was lucky!

The good part about this is I can open up a C6 dash in a matter of minutes now!
View attachment 19100
Good

Reactions: ve2yzb
That's the same place where I got my bypass lock. At least the C5 will start and run if the Service Column Lock issue comes up, however, on a stock car it will cut fuel off if you go over 2mph. After I installed the new lock bypass, I had Russ Kemp reprogram the fuel cutoff to something like 241 mph, so I could at least drive the car should it ever arise in the future.

Glad you got the car running!!! That is excellent!

Reactions: ve2yzb
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread