It seems a bit high to me but maybe not overly. As we have seen the base Z06 prices have been about ~20K higher than the base model corvette with the fully loaded base cars actually surpassing the base Z06 prices.

Think it more depends on the Z06 you are looking for. My 3LZ Z06 Z07 was optioned 30K over the 3LZ base price so it really is subjective.

This is a good discussion to have and timely, to distract us from the mayhem going on around us now.

You should get some interesting thoughts on this... one great thing is Corvette has such a wide variety of options and upgrades. You really can build the car that's perfect for you.

hang on... here we go

Reactions: 61ratvette
With the base C8 coupe now at about $70,000 for Canada and if the ZO6 C8 comes out in 2022 as originally forecast (who knows now?), you need to piggyback any increase on what the base Stingray will cost in 2022. So if we assume $85,000 for the 2022 base Stingray to take into account 2 years of improvements and price increases, and you add $20,000 onto that, then we'd be looking at $105,000 for a drop-dead absolute basic 2022 Z06, which few people will likely order. The average cost of a new Z06 coupe with average options to personalize it, is likely going to be much higher than $105,000 based upon those assumptions: $120,000 to $125,000, plus gst? Just think of the options that GM will dream up in 2022 to tempt people with! The Z06 looks like it's going to be a wonderful track/performance vehicle and one to rival the Porsche 911 so people might be willing to pay something in that price range for it, plus they're more likely to spend more on options if they view this vehicle as "a keeper" and also for additional bragging rights on the track.

Who knows? Lots of variables at this stage so this is nothing but fun speculation.

I look forward to seeing the Z06 and what it can do but at this stage, I'll just be happy to get my regular C8 order filled. Amen. :)

Also don't forget the Liberal Government's promised 10-per-cent luxury tax. If this comes into play, I will hang on to my current C8 for a very long time!

Then in BC we have to pay 12% sales tax on cars over $55,000, and 15% over $125,000, so could be looking at over 30% for highly optioned models. More of the cars could be leased from new for tax reasons, making the total number less of a consideration than the other terms.

I'm not familiar with the BC tax rules but it sounds like you're saying leasing an expensive car avoids the "luxury car tax" that a BC buyer would pay? Is that correct? And if so, do many British Columbians lease for that reason?

I've never leased a new vehicle before but if doing so will save $10,000+ that might prove too tempting...

I'm not familiar with the BC tax rules but it sounds like you're saying leasing an expensive car avoids the "luxury car tax" that a BC buyer would pay? Is that correct? And if so, do many British Columbians lease for that reason?

I've never leased a new vehicle before but if doing so will save $10,000+ that might prove too tempting...
Or a post office box "showing" residency in Alberta…….

So a base C8 is $70,00, loaded around $90,000. It would make sense that a base Z06 would be more then a loaded C8, so I think around the $105,000 mark as well. A loaded C7 Z06 came in at $140,000. I think the C8 would be a bit higher. I don't think GM wants to price these too much beyond the C7's. If rumours are true about the flat plane 5.5, then this should be quite a fast and lighter car.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ddgermann

I have not heard the Corvette is available for a lease contract to date. However, that may change with the C8 and GM trying to recoup the losses out of their projections on getting the car out there; once they have delivered to all the folks who did not bail on the purchase deals. Lots of new and sitting C7s getting grabbed up now too so a small positive for them.
A few years ago I tried to lease a new 16 Z06 through "the driving force" who I had leased 2 vehicles with before. The dealerships would not even sell them the car as it was going to be leased. Ended up buying one.

Or a post office box "showing" residency in Alberta…….

That is not so easy anymore. You cannot do this with a BC drivers license and have 3 months to change it if not. Then get your wallet out and register your vehicles in BC. I have done this move to BC and when they say "bring cash" it is totally true.
Of course owning a house and utility bills, health care, etc makes this extremely difficult for a BC resident. I did know a couple of guys who did this though.

Reactions: Cariboocreek
I'm perfectly ok with spending $99,000 on a Z06 as the base price here in Canada, but if the Liberals actually go through with the 10% tax ON TOP of the 13% HST here in Ontario, I'm DEFINITELY out. This is very likely too because of the massive spending during COVID-19, gotta make the money back in every possible way I suppose.

Not because I wouldn't be able to afford it, just out of sheer principle. Taxes like that are ludicrous.

• Agree
Reactions: tyho and OL Yeller

@netsinah sorry I missed your question. When you lease, you only pay tax on the down payment and the monthly payments, not the total value of the car, so in BC at least the luxury tax isn't triggered if the total payments over the term don't go over the tax bracket. For those looking to limit their tax exposure it's a good option, though I couldn't say how many people do this.

Reactions: gone
Agreed, 23% tax along with the various other taxes and fees associated with buying a car is just going to close the door on many potential customers. Given the Liberals track record and the massive black financial hole, I suspect the luxury tax will not be the only new tax we see.
@tyho especially when the guy in charge of the federal finances didn't realise he wasn't billed $41,000. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: OL Yeller
@tyho especially when the guy in charge of the federal finances didn't realise he wasn't billed $41,000. ;)
Ya, I don't believe for one moment he didn't realize that WE funded his family vacations since he didn't pay for them. Miraculously he realized this a few hours before he was to testify. I am stunned at the audacity and lack of ethics and integrity of some of our politicians. At the very least they should be booted out of office, at best jailed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.