ve2yzb

Mar 12, 2011
Quecbec,Canada
VetteCoins
Car
1998 convertable C5
Got that squicking annoying noise again :swear: I had that noise last year comming from that pulley....So I had it changed to a new one (25% Underdrive pulley) and tha squicking is back again.....????

Manny I need your help !!! :( Before I had it changed it made a small squicking noise only when the motor was cold...once it warmed up, it was gone....But now I just took it out for its first ride yesterday and with the motor cold or warm it is squicking badly again. Just before the season finished it started squicking a bit but wasn't a big deal, but now it is bad...I don't understand whats going on here??? Do you think my nbelt needs tightening or is the belt already worn out...cause the belt is as new as the pulley....I need to get this fixed before taking that long ride the 26th of May.. :(

Manny will fix you up! I doubt it's your balancer. I want to make a guess before Manny gets on here and tells you what it is. My guess is that it is one of the belt tensioners. One easy way to test this is by removing one belt at a time so you can isolate which one and narrow it from there.

Manny! How did I do!

Thats a pretty good guess....I was looking in my GM service manual online and they specify changing this part ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT TENSIONER 12559325 and belt...and if so, how do I test the tensioner by itself to see if its really the cause ??

Good question. From what I was reading to see if it is a belt, a good idea is to pour water on the belt as the engine is running. If the squeak goes away, it is the belt, if not, tensioner or one of the drives such as the AC compressor or alternator. I don't know how much water to pour on it though. People have tried belt dressing but I don't think this fixes the issue and it made it worse is a couple cases. Others swear by putting Comet on the belt, others rub a bar of soap on the belt. If you do take off the belt, it's a good time to clean the debris off the surfaces of the pulleys (with the engine off of course). We need Manny to give you a real answer but these are a few of the things I read. In most cases, it's nearly always the tensioner and it's recommended to change the tensioner and the pulley at the same time as if you just replace one, the squeak seems to come back after a couple months.

I have spare ones here and would change it out for free , so if you can put up with the noise for a little while , I will look after it when you are here . I pretty sure thats what you are heaing :D

I have spare ones here and would change it out for free , so if you can put up with the noise for a little while , I will look after it when you are here . I pretty sure thats what you are heaing :D

:agree: Now thats a good offer that I cannot refuse all depending how patient I get with that :swear: squicking !!! Meanwhile I will put the volume up more on the sound system just to cover that annoying noise...:D

I will be comming up on friday May the 25th to check in at hotel near by...So when I arrive, I can give you a call or just stop by maybe, thats if I arrive early...

Thanks again Manny..:coolgleam:

I thanks Riley for grandma's old remedy's that usually seem to work ....:D

I just can't wait to go up and meet you all.....:canada:

:agree: Now thats a good offer that I cannot refuse all depending how patient I get with that :swear: squicking !!! Meanwhile I will put the volume up more on the sound system just to cover that annoying noise...:D

I will be comming up on friday May the 25th to check in at hotel near by...So when I arrive, I can give you a call or just stop by maybe, thats if I arrive early...

Thanks again Manny..:coolgleam:

I thanks Riley for grandma's old remedy's that usually seem to work ....:D

I just can't wait to go up and meet you all.....:canada:

Cool VE2 -- just remind us before you come and we'll hook up for a trip to Manny's on the 25th.
Hopefully your 'squeak' won't get any worse b4 then.

We look forward to your visit and I'm sure we'll all love the Coping Charity and Corvette event on the 26th.

Cheers,
Colin

Sure thing Colin:agree:
I should arrive around midnight , I will give you guy's a ring or will it be to late ? ...:rofl: just kidding:D. I will try to get there as early as possible... See you then !!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.