Nov 29, 2019
Etobicoke
VetteCoins
Car
2020 C8 2LT Z51
Province
ON
So I am sitting at the airport waiting for boarding. The security and us customs were a ghost town. I travel quite a bit with my job so I would say a seasoned traveller. This is spooky. I am pissed the lounge is closed. I always try to get my moneys worth in booze from AC. Stay tuned.
F6758C16-15BC-4748-8DDB-831C2EFE319B.jpeg

Attachments

• E2F0DE79-4414-4782-AD64-C2AAC15C279F.jpeg
    E2F0DE79-4414-4782-AD64-C2AAC15C279F.jpeg
    738.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Haha
Reactions: ABC
So the air travel was an experience. No food on planes. Just drink service and even then only tea, coffee, OJ or some sodas. No alcohol at all. Mask to be worn at all times. ( I guess except for the drinking thing) LAX was dead. Easy and fast pick up for car rental shuttles. I used Enterprise on this trip as I was not sure if Hertz was even running. They are operational. My car rental a very fitting Blue Chevy Malibu. haha. Staying in Marina del ray for the day. I have family down here and we will make a day of it, then off to Pahrump, NV tonight. The Spring Mountain Event comes with one night stay but you can add the second. I did but still needed to bookend the trip with two other nights at the local Holiday Inn. The drive to and from LA is about 4.5 hours each way. My return flight is 7:00 am Thursday morning so a nap and then night drive back to LA.

So no Air Canada Lounge open and no bar service on the plane. When I get to my hotel in Marina del ray, no bars open. No indoor food at all. There is no stage three here. We have nothing to complain about in Ontario. LA is in lockdown. I will be fine when I get over the withdrawal shakes. Had a coffee. Need to find a patio with bar soon!

Calgary airport looked similar when we flew to Dallas on our way to Tucson a few weeks ago. No one in security or customs and we walked to the front of the line in both. Dallas was a different story - "Alive" but everyone was wearing a mask.
Dallas.JPG

Last edited:
Made to Parhump, NV last night around 6 pm. Checked in to the Holiday Inn Express for the night. Still no food or bars in hotels. No pool or hot tub open either. Looks like my bathing suit sits this trip out. At least booze store was open. Stocked up for our tailgate party today at 3:00pm. That's our official kick off party with the crew of 10 plus spouses. the drive from LA to NV was long, dry, and very very warm. My phone says we hit a high of 120 degrees. Oh and the water. No such thing as cold water unless you add ice. Taps are warm and warmer. haha. My son has an order in for a new Ford Bronco. He would love to have had it on this trip. off roading reigns supreme.
IMG_4247.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

Keep up the good work with the “trip photo blog”. I’ll be going next year so I’m keen to get your thoughts. My best memory of the Nevada heat is parking my motorcycle on the highway shoulder to take a photo of the shimmering desert, only to have my efforts cut short when the bike fell over from its kickstand sinking all the way down into the soft asphalt. Lesson learned and no more stops after that. Thanks again.

Reactions: Bucketoy and ABC
Calgary airport looked similar when we flew to Dallas on our way to Tucson View attachment 43692a few weeks ago. No one in security or customs and we walked to the front of the line in both. Dallas was a different story - "Alive" but everyone was wearing a mask.
So I also was quite surprised to see that masks are in full force and many are actually wearing gloves too. The media we get insinuates that the US is burning and nothing is being done. Quite the contrary in my trip. They are tighter and locked down more than I usually see in Ontario. all stores are well signed, social distancing is being respected. and all looks very compliant with new COVID norms. Our hometown stage three with food service coming back online is the big difference. No such thing here. Fast food is open but no traditional restaurants yet (that I can see) going to go check out Paddys Bar for Lunch here in town. That place was featured on "Bar Rescue"

• Happy
Reactions: turbozig
great to hear you made it to Ron Fellows from Canada , yes I talked to Donna at R.F. , record heat currently , keep us updated about trip and closures etc.,how things (covid) are and how you feel about safety etc...look forward to any postings , we are booked for Novemeber ( fingers crossed) , just concerned with how things are down south. Thanks

Andrew your vlog is great and informative. Mark Riel is waiting for you with cold beer

View attachment 43694
Yes about eight of them along with spouses are all booked at the Bellagio in Vegas. Looks like they had a great time. I was pre-booked for the night at the Holiday Inn for the one night and then to Spring Mountain today and tomorrow. The drive from LA plus I had family to meet up with was a pretty full day. And to be fair, not sure I want to wade into the Vegas space. I am trying to be careful. But we will all meet up today for our cocktails at check in. Looking forward to meeting everyone today and hearing about their car experiences. I stocked up on the beer for the tailgate party in the lot. hahaha.

great to hear you made it to Ron Fellows from Canada , yes I talked to Donna at R.F. , record heat currently , keep us updated about trip and closures etc.,how things (covid) are and how you feel about safety etc...look forward to any postings , we are booked for Novemeber ( fingers crossed) , just concerned with how things are down south. Thanks
I shall try to keep updating all here for exactly that purpose. I can say that I feel very safe and at no time do I think there is any reckless behaviour here. LA was in full lockdown. Everyone is wearing masks, even just walking outside. The facilities are all taking similar or higher levels of precautions as we are in Canada. So, happy to report so far so good.
The Toronto Airport has a new program for COVID testing right away when you come off the plane. Results are given in 48 hours. So I shall completely test upon my return.

So I also was quite surprised to see that masks are in full force and many are actually wearing gloves too. The media we get insinuates that the US is burning and nothing is being done. Quite the contrary in my trip. They are tighter and locked down more than I usually see in Ontario. all stores are well signed, social distancing is being respected. and all looks very compliant with new COVID norms. Our hometown stage three with food service coming back online is the big difference. No such thing here. Fast food is open but no traditional restaurants yet (that I can see) going to go check out Paddys Bar for Lunch here in town. That place was featured on "Bar Rescue"
It's not Nevada that has issues. It's the more densely populated areas like Florida and California.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.