HLN A55

High RPM Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Sherwood Park
VetteCoins
Car
2001 Z06
Ok well after much deliberation and research I made my mind up and bought my parts. I was morally torn between my elected path and the LG5X3 through Manny but I couldn't argue with the value and performance with my choice (including the equally positive reviews and research I did)

I'm going with the Vengeance Racing VRX5 cam kit. Including the pushrods, springs, retainers etc..

Yella Terra Ultra Lite rockers, melling oil pump, JP performance timing set and the virtually new Kook long tubes and fake cats I found for sale locally!!!

The reason I went with my choice was that after exhaustive research I really couldn't find the performance difference between that and the LG kit and essentially with the money I saved I got the new rockers basically for free in comparison to just the KG cam kit. I certainly wasn't able to find a difference between the performance, reputation, and feedback between the LG5X3 and the VRX5. In the end, the price of all the equipment in CAD dollars shipped with brokerage was the same as the LG5X3 in USD BEFORE shipping and brokerage??? :canada:

I'm not slagging LG at ALLLLLL :nono:. They're a great product and maybe they are the best... maybe I'll regret my choice but I feel I made the right one right now.
So anyhow, that's the plan. The goal is 430 RWHP and 400 trq (headers and cam) which should be pretty achievable from the data i've seen both on the net and and locally at the shop. Shop has an in-house dyno as well and there are 2 EFI Live techs working there.

With the clutch, tranny I'm really happy with where my ride will be at next year.

Actually I was going to go with the Vrx6 which should have netted around 450 RWHP but didn't for 2 reasons... I really don't feel like going with heads on this motor and the tech had just installed one in another car. He had the impression that for stock heads it was really a little too much cam. The other reason was that I wanted to stay away from pushing the power that far up in the RPM band... i'm also not planning on a set of gears either....

Well, that's all good and everything, but I can't help to wonder if you will be able to get all that power to the ground without a hood seal.:D

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like a great combo and all things being the same or very comparable, it's hard not to go with the choice that costs less money. Best of luck with the build!

Have you considered installing hardened shafts in the rear end? I have no idea at what horsepower this is required but this is a mod I've heard other people do.

I THINK... (key word there LOL) that there really isn't any issue with the stock rear and the power that I'm planning to put through it. Plus I probably won't be doing very many super hard drag launches either. All remains to be seen!!!

I THINK... (key word there LOL) that there really isn't any issue with the stock rear and the power that I'm planning to put through it. Plus I probably won't be doing very many super hard drag launches either. All remains to be seen!!!

Go for the hard drag launhes......its so much fun!! Its a Corvette not CTS-V, can't hurt it. Last year at Arm Drop I was droping the clutch at 5500rpm and hooking, cost me a clutch though..lol

I run the VRX3 cam and has lots of lump at idle and good power range... That VRX6 cam must be crazy at idle or even your VRX5.

aren't you running the vrx4? i remembered your original post and ur running about 445 RWHP with the heads and cam (plus all the rest of the "stuff" lol) no? did you change to the vrx3 maybe?

I'm pretty pumped about hearing the car though. After seeing the Vengeance racing vids on youtube I thought about changing to the VRX6 but nahhhh. I still think it's too much cam for stock heads and gears. Not that I can really back that up with any proof though :eek:

aren't you running the vrx4? i remembered your original post and ur running about 445 RWHP with the heads and cam (plus all the rest of the "stuff" lol) no? did you change to the vrx3 maybe?

I'm pretty pumped about hearing the car though. After seeing the Vengeance racing vids on youtube I thought about changing to the VRX6 but nahhhh. I still think it's too much cam for stock heads and gears. Not that I can really back that up with any proof though :eek:

Yes my bad!! I am running the VRX4

12's shouldn't be a problem. I think you should be in low 12's a least. I have a set of BF Goodrich drag radials that are worn but still useable, I got new ones this fall and the old ones taking up room in my garage. They would help out on 60' times you could have them if your ever in red deer.

well you never know!!! I sincerely appreciate the offer!! I have the drive down to cgy a lot for work ;) I need one of those "11 second club" sitckers for my window LOL

Seems so far away... May is it??? YUCK Spring??? blahhh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread