RIP
You're a Regular King of the Post You're Liked 2 You're 10
Jul 15, 2012
Fairview, Alberta
VetteCoins
Car
2006 Z06
Gentlemen,

So, the snow and rain forecast for earlier in the week did not develop. While it is dropping back down to 5 or 6 above for the weekend it is suppose to reach 14 above today!

So I thought it was time to putter around the yard. Hooked the white truck up to the yellow trailer and checked the air in the tires in preparation for moving canola seed home in a few weeks.

It was so nice out here today that I decided to enlisted the help of my gf and to see how the Z06 was doing. So opened the door. First positive sign was that the battery minder light was one and it was charged.

Opened the truck hatch. Removed shoes and slide in backward. Oh that 15 or so lb I put on since last fall sure is rearing its ugly head!!

Slide into the seat. It feels oh so good! Daddy's home baby!

Hit the start button and it (of course) fires right up! What sweet music!

So with my gf's help get the trailer lined up with the edge of the Sea Can and back the Z06 onto the trailer..........

Take advantage of the crown on my driveway, park perpendicular to it and get the front wheels onto gravel. The valance starts to dig in so in a rare moment of brillance get my gf to drive the trailer away and I release the brakes to coordinate with this and the car stays stationary while the trailer drives away from under it!!!!

Add methanol...................

Have to wait another 30 minutes before I can call my insurance agent and get the road insurance put back on.

Haven't replaced the rear tire yet from last falls joyful experience but it held air all winter so I think it will help me from going much above highway speeds until that gets attended to and that, for me, is probably not a bad thing.

Hopefully give it a quick washing then off to pick my son up at school.

What a joyful day this appears to be.

Hope the rest of you are as lucky with road time today in good weather.

Cheers,

Garry

Gentlemen,

So, the snow and rain forecast for earlier in the week did not develop. While it is dropping back down to 5 or 6 above for the weekend it is suppose to reach 14 above today!

So I thought it was time to putter around the yard. Hooked the white truck up to the yellow trailer and checked the air in the tires in preparation for moving canola seed home in a few weeks.

It was so nice out here today that I decided to enlisted the help of my gf and to see how the Z06 was doing. So opened the door. First positive sign was that the battery minder light was one and it was charged.

Opened the truck hatch. Removed shoes and slide in backward. Oh that 15 or so lb I put on since last fall sure is rearing its ugly head!!

Slide into the seat. It feels oh so good! Daddy's home baby!

Hit the start button and it (of course) fires right up! What sweet music!

So with my gf's help get the trailer lined up with the edge of the Sea Can and back the Z06 onto the trailer..........

Take advantage of the crown on my driveway, park perpendicular to it and get the front wheels onto gravel. The valance starts to dig in so in a rare moment of brillance get my gf to drive the trailer away and I release the brakes to coordinate with this and the car stays stationary while the trailer drives away from under it!!!!

Add methanol...................

Have to wait another 30 minutes before I can call my insurance agent and get the road insurance put back on.

Haven't replaced the rear tire yet from last falls joyful experience but it held air all winter so I think it will help me from going much above highway speeds until that gets attended to and that, for me, is probably not a bad thing.

Hopefully give it a quick washing then off to pick my son up at school.

What a joyful day this appears to be.

Hope the rest of you are as lucky with road time today in good weather.

Cheers,

Garry

Ended up being 22 here Friday. Didn't matter.Had to work, then a blues band at the Elks club in the evening.Turned cold yesterday and today.... stayed at about 7 here most of today. But my driveway is finally dry, fences are fixed.... so next nice day, I am saying the h3ll with farm work.... going for a run.... hehe.... You gonna make Ponoka this year Garry?

I heard that it was really nice down south, even a high of 27 in Calgary recently?? That must have had the cars stored for winter out and about!!

It has been cooler here and windy for the past two days. Friday night was my son's classes' read-a-thon. Odd but 35 or so parents and while there were two or three moms that showed up and maybe stayed for an hour or two (it started Friday night a 6) there were no other parents who came to help out the teachers over night than myself. I hear that for fieldtrips and stuff the excuse is that some of them work but being Friday night and running to Saturday morning I'm finding it hard to believe that they all are working on Saturdays too. But I was up for 28 hours straight and pretty much destroyed. I was surprised that about 6 or 7 of the students made it that long as well.

Sunday morning I discovered that my son had forgot to put something in his school bag that he needed to (he went back to his mom's place Saturday morning). More of a disappointment was that he was unaware of this. But I decided that even though it was not a warm day (+7) it was sunny and so would be fine for a drive so just before supper my gf and I took the Z06 for its second drive of the year to bring my son his book. And indeed it was a nice drive too. We took the back way, it's a few km longer but less traveled. I locked in my speed at 108 (yes km's!) and other than having to dodge three chunks of wood on the road it was a fine evening for a drive.

We also fired up the side-by-side and went for a little drive north of the acreage and into one of my fields. Nothing much growing for weeds yet but certainly dry enough and no mud on the tires. Have to start getting my brain into farming mode I think. I should finally get the call to haul in most of my canola at the end of this week or the beginning of next week - yippie! I think my first outdoor chore though will be to remove the radiator from the 3 ton grain trucks (used for fertilizer and water hauling) and to get it fixed. There is no longer a repair shop in Peace River so it will have to go to Grande Prairie.

And still have to find a place that will actually order me a new Nitto for the Z when they say they are doing so......................

Cheers,

Garry

Hey Garry! Wooooooooooooooooooo! The car is out! That must be such a good feeling.
We've had spots of good weather and all the snow is gone here. I've had the car out for a couple shows but haven't actually gone cruising yet.

I'm glad you were able to get the Z out, and take your son his book!

Lastly, why do you use the 3 ton truck's radiator for hauling water and fertilizer? :D

Just to show how not everyone is so lucky, we visited my inlaws in Nipawin this past weekend. Here is a shot of what it still looks like there.

image.jpeg

Needless to say, Corvette weather is at least a week away. :D

WOW! That is the sort of thing that I wouldn't be wishing on anyone at this time of year. For sure Riley, Mustang weather perhaps but not conducive Corvette climate conditions! Gee I love alliteration this early in the morning!!

But even as a grain farmer, please keep it there. Snow I can do without in exchange for an early spring and a soaker shower after seeding is completed............

Cheers,

Garry

hehe.... yup... Mustangs and.... WHAT! that's not a Mustang.... this guy pullls into my parking lot in front of me this morning to go to the gym... first 458 Italia I've seen around here.... yup.... must be spring... Wonder what he's thinking parking that close to an SUV..... ...'cringe'.....

Ferrari 458.jpg

I think this one is a 2014.... not really up on my Ferrari's but can probably pick up a used one for around $ 210,000.00 Murray. It could be your pre-spring car for when the driveway and road is too muddy for the Corvette..... hehehe....

Weather still cool but spent the first day getting my feet wet. Had to remove the radiator from a 1973 (?) 3 ton grain truck. My only truck with a wooden box so the one I use for my water tank for spraying and also for hauling fertilizer. It went remarkably easy. Removed the fan blades, the shroud, the upper and lower radiator hose hose clamps and then the two bottom bolts and eight upper ones and out it came. Found an area along the bottom side where a seam appears to have failed (signs of Silver Stallion). I'm sure I could solder it but thought since it is out I'll get Dad to take it to the rad place in GP. Get it fully cleaned inside and also pressure tested to see if there are any other leaks.

Warning of grain to be hauled at the end of the week or beginning of next week so fueled the grain vac tractor and moved it into position. Went to boost the sprayer (spring ritual, should replace the batteries I think) but could get it to start to went for lunch. Afterward started a grain truck, fueled it and my gf went to return to boosting the sprayer. Parked the grain truck and walked to the sprayer. Oddly, my gf tried to and was successful in starting it and got it running! Then as I was approaching the sprayer heard it start to miss and as I got closer it died altogether. This has never happened before...........good reliable Cummins diesel here. Tried to start it again, fired a few times, died, tried again and it would not fire at all. ???????????? A lack of fuel?? Old fuel filters so maybe time to replace them?? So off to town, get new filters, makes no difference. Time to consult with Dad (was worked on a water well at one of my uncle's rental properties). Dad usually just has to look at something mechanical and it starts to work so high hopes.

Discovered that besides the two filters there is a sediment bowl hidden on the inside of the frame (not always found on equipment). Took the drain off the bottom and yes, some goop in there. Took the outlet line off, nothing came out, took the inlet off, blew compressed air into it and could hear it bubbling in the tank. Also took the drain plug off the bottom of the tank, little if any water. So removed the sediment bowl and yes, more goop in there and so gave it proper cleaning. Hook everything back up and it fires but won't run. Found the priming pump. Note to self, the engine was repainted black at some point and they just painted everything black thus why things like the sediment bowl and primping pump were sort of hard to find as they just looked like part of a dirty engine compartment! So pumped away, engine still won't start. Removed fuel line upstream on fuel priming pump, yes fuel comes out. Cranked engine and yes the cam driven lift pump is indeed working (fuel squirting everywhere including for some reason all over me!). Still won't start. Locate fuel pump solinoid and confirm that it is indeed working and it appears so.................

After 6 hours, stumped, confused and with much head scratching throw in the towel for the night. Good think I'm already bald otherwise I'd have some bare patches after this!!

Have a field trip to go to with my son and his class on Wednesday but weather not looking all that nice at the moment. But may still take advantage of another chance to drive the Z06..............

So off for a walk, then breakfast and then off to the farm to see if dad had any revelations over night about the sprayer..................

Like I told dad, at least this is the 11th of April and not the 11th of May. I had oddly went to start the sprayer on a lark just as I knew of its normal spring battery issue and as well to move the sprayer and to throw the battery charger on it over night. Why it always pays to check things before you need them.............!!

The 458 actually cheered me up. Nice to know there is still some $ in Alberta and people in a position to enjoy the fruits of their labours..........

Cheers,

Garry

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Quite the Story Garry! Hopefully the sprayer will start and run for you soon and you are correct that it is good to check things before you need them! How's the air filter on the sprayer?

Would be nice to take the 458 to the gym! I wonder what he takes when he wants to go out on the town? :D

Great story Garry. Not to be mean or a jinx or anything here but it makes me smile that I'm not the only one who goes through these exercises of sometimes futility... I have a 1967 David Brown 1200 Selectamatic tractor that is my around the yard mostly workhorse. 3.6 L, 4 cyl Diesel. Great working tractor.... did the same thing last summer.... Went out one afternoon to hook up the driveway drags and no-go! wouldn't even kick.... I did exactly the same things... filters, sediment bowl (mine was black too... and it hadn't been painted...lol).... but it was all plugged up.... obviously a design flaw... a sediment bowl that needs cleaning more than every 20 years.... but I digress.... Put her all back together and ... voila` ... nothing.... to make a long story short, I had to pull the lines off the injectors and prime them all right to there before she would run.... I guess those injectors weren't designed to purge air locks...lol... Good luck with yours....

Are you going to make it to Ponoka this year?

Eric

If I get seeding done then yes I would live to make to Ponoka again. The date normally for me would be poor but as I am optimistic about the spring being early who knows!! I will be using it as a reward to get the seeding done though.

I have a Fordson that stopped running as well two years ago that is on my to attend to list! It was going to be my yard tractor as well with a nice 6' finishing mower. Cute FEL as well and even has a post pounder if need one.

The sprayer problem is getting more mysterious and bothersome. Here is what I know.............

I'm still leaning toward a fuel (?).

1)replaced both fuel filters.
2)cleaned sediment bowl.
3)blew air from the inlet hose on the sediment bowl and can hear it bubbling merrily in the tank.
4)removed line immediately after the lift pump, pumped lift pump and out comes fuel. Also cranked engine and fuel came out so I then confirm that the cam is driving the lift pump..........
5)removed line that the return line is attached to (before it starts to go into the first fuel filter, pumped lift pump and fuel comes out.
6)removed bleed plug on line that exits second fuel filter (at the start of the line that runs to the fuel pump itself), pumped lift pump and fuel comes out.
7)removed main fuel delivery line at pump itself, cranked engine and pumped lift pump and yes fuel comes out.
8)removed the 1st and 6th fuel lines running to the cylinders themselves, cranked engine, no fuel at all.
9)confirmed that the solinoid is activating and moving the lever that in on the side of the pump against the block.

So..........why no fuel going through the lines to the cylinders????

My fear - the gears that drive the pump have sheered or failed somehow and I'll have to remove and possibly replace the pump. I'm prepared for that and think that I've checked about as much as I can and that the fuel is good going up to the pump itself but it is not going any further!!!!!! Dad says that he's never hear of a fuel pump drive ever failing....................

Cheers,

Garry

Would like to be able to offer you more Garry, but a mechanic I am not.... Most of the time I take things apart and have to pay someone to put them back together... But i do wish you well and good luck ..... and would love to meet you in Ponoka this year as well if it works out for both of us....

I was up during the night thinking about this problem. No solutions but some clarity. If I have to get it custom sprayed it will be 9K plus having to still probably get professional help if the fuel pump drive did fail. Apparently timing these pumps is not easy. That being the case better to get professional help in sooner rather than later................

I'm trying to learn not to be prideful. Do the things I can do and get others to do what I can't and that is fine, you can't be good and do everything yourself.

Other than this problem I'd be pretty cheerful about how the spring was shaping up. I'm sure it will still be good unless things change and we get a wack of snow or rain, but I mean forecast +26 for Monday?? And that makes sense as that is when I expect to be hauling grain -sweating and dust and hot!!

For sure Eric I just think about Ponoka and that will be motivating me over the next few weeks.............

Cheers,

Garry

Good Luck Garry. Famers bible.... " plant in the dust....bins will bust".... Here's wishing good weather and busted bins for all the farmers out there......

Reading through your work through, do you manually pump the lift pump? If so, it sounds like you get fuel when you pump the lift pump and no fuel when trying to run it on it's own so I would get it's the pump. Unless all your injectors got gummed up at the same time?

Hopefully you can make it to Ponoka! I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Good afternoon Riley,

The lift pump is driven off the camshaft, but is also has a manual push plunger as well.

Took the Z this morning to school, +2! Showered on my way home just now. I'll have to remember that technique for summer when I want it to rain!

Back to the farm and the sprayer!

Cheers,

Garry

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.