May 25, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1974 corvette
Province
NS
Recently had my almost new cam and lifters fail in my l82 motor...given the engine is old and unknown kms I’ve decided to order a crate sp/zz partial engine however I had just redone my whole top end (dart shp heads,dome etc etc) wondering if anyone can tell me what from the original motor will transfer to the new zz.ive spent countless hours searching online and can’t even really find a year range for the zz engines any help is appreciated!!!

GM PERFORMANCE PARTS books have been around for many years.
they should be able to tell you all the specs of the various ZZ engines.
this may help with your use of other parts.

I installed a complete ZZ4 engine 20 years ago...best upgrade ever.

AB8A4BC2-C0D0-47AE-9E06-215A96E9639F.jpeg
13A14621-6BF6-438A-B851-832D230F9B08.jpeg

try your dealer for the latest version.

graham

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: ddgermann
Just my $.02 is all. Why don't you pull the engine and rebuild it? I see you have already replaced heads (Not sure what you mean by domes unless you mean pistons but that's not top end)
When you mean partial engine do you mean short block?

I have new heads,Intake,carb,distributor etc etc.basicallt the whole top end is new,local shop is talking $2000 to rebuild my engine.which is old and tired (it’s 50 years old it’s did it’s time lol) and I can get a crate short block for 3500 brand new with forged crank etc...to me it’s a no brainer. I could see if I was keeping the car original but it’s far from that already,kinda went for making it how I want it more than keeping it original

I have new heads,Intake,carb,distributor etc etc.basicallt the whole top end is new,local shop is talking $2000 to rebuild my engine.which is old and tired (it’s 50 years old it’s did it’s time lol) and I can get a crate short block for 3500 brand new with forged crank etc...to me it’s a no brainer. I could see if I was keeping the car original but it’s far from that already,kinda went for making it how I want it more than keeping it original

I gotcha. Good luck with the project!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread