Jul 1, 2017
VetteCoins
This just out. Seems like some big power on the horizon. Can't post the link but a quick search will get you there...

"According to this engine production forecasting document, GM is starting production of two new DOHC V8s at the Tonawanda production facility. One will be a 4.2L, and the other will be a 5.5L. The current 6.2L V8 is also listed as an option.
A look at horsepower. Short of exact numbers, “elegant” and “rsinor” list “maximum output” of the new engine family (across all displacements) as 850 hp and 720 lb-ft of torque. So it would make sense that the new 5.5L twin-turbo would be the 800+ hp model to move it above the ZR1 in power and performance. But, if you do some backwards math and cut that 5.5L into a horsepower-per-liter measurement, and then apply that to the smaller 4.2L, you get a max output of 650 hp. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that it lines up nicely with the Z06 Corvette."

Last edited:
This just out. Seems like some big power on the horizon. Can't post the link but a quick search will get you there...

"According to this engine production forecasting document, GM is starting production of two new DOHC V8s at the Tonawanda production facility. One will be a 4.2L, and the other will be a 5.5L. The current 6.2L V8 is also listed as an option.
A look at horsepower. Short of exact numbers, “elegant” and “rsinor” list “maximum output” of the new engine family (across all displacements) as 850 hp and 720 lb-ft of torque. So it would make sense that the new 5.5L twin-turbo would be the 800+ hp model to move it above the ZR1 in power and performance. But, if you do some backwards math and cut that 5.5L into a horsepower-per-liter measurement, and then apply that to the smaller 4.2L, you get a max output of 650 hp. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that it lines up nicely with the Z06 Corvette."

Thanks. Good info. Could it be an actual platform shift?

Thanks. Good info. Could it be an actual platform shift?

I think yes for sure these engines are being designed specifically for the mid engine platforms of the Cadillac and Corvette. The Camaro is already suspiciously receiving the high end and formerly exclusive performance and handling tech from the Corvette, and will likely be our only RWD performance choice very soon.
Just my thoughts on all this. Good news is I'm almost always wrong. ;)

A smaller engine with a DOHC and a twin turbo would be nice. The DOHC and turbos will add weight and size, but the smaller displacement will make up for that. There are 4 liter or smaller engines out there producing 500 HP plus. Always a trade off. The Zora may be a fantastic machine ... but I will not be able to afford it:(

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread