KenTO

I'm New Here
You're 5
Oct 17, 2017
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2017 911 Targa GTS
Greetings to my fellow Canadians. I have owned a number of exotics in the last few years, including a Ferrari F430 Spyder, 458 Italia, a few Porsches, and I now own a 2017 Porsche Targa GTS. After a long absence I went back to Mosport last year for some driver events, and I was really impressed by some of the Corvettes on the track. I am now looking for a car that I can take on the track about 6-8x per year. I was looking at the Porsche GT4, but it has been having a lot of transmission-related problems and actually doesn't drive very well. The GT3 has now become a car for posers and flippers and it's almost impossible to get one. Which brings me to the Corvette Grand Sport. For a track car the price is really nice. I would like to know your opinions on the following:

1. Reliability of the car on the track?
2. Ease of getting service and quality of service. I am thinking of buying the car and servicing it at Wilson Niblett. Is this a good dealer? Reviews are mixed.
3. Any independent service guys that can work with the car/ are reliable?
4. Options that are worth getting, like carbon ceramic breaks, etc?

Thank you all for your valuable advice (I am in the GTA).

Welcome to the forum.

I would look for a C5Z for a good platform to start. Strong runners right out of the box.

Dave Stevenson in Port Perry has a great deal of expertise in building, setting up and maintaining these cars.

Have fun, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Reactions: Nik
Welcome to the forum.

I would look for a C5Z for a good platform to start. Strong runners right out of the box.

Dave Stevenson in Port Perry has a great deal of expertise in building, setting up and maintaining these cars.

Have fun, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

@KenTO

I agree with Murray here.

03/04 C5Z with a few mods is super fun and low cost on the track. Car is 20-30k, some track prep and better rubber for 5k and you're good to go. They are fairly light weight cars and very capable. Good aftermarket support and fairly cheap to maintain.

I'm of the opinion that Carbon Ceramic brake discs are typically avoided for heavy duty track work. They cost a fortune and yes they do wear out though not in a traditional way. A lot of guys are selling them and swapping for regular cast iron just due to cost alone.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
I was actually interested in getting a new C7 GrandSport, I was wondering how it would do out of the box. Most of the track days I would be doing would be intermediate DE's with companies such as Apex, nothing too hardcore initially.

I was actually interested in getting a new C7 GrandSport, I was wondering how it would do out of the box. Most of the track days I would be doing would be intermediate DE's with companies such as Apex, nothing too hardcore initially.

Can't go wrong with the new GS. Extremely well regarded and the better choice for frequent track visits than the Z due to heat issues.

I would still avoid the z07 package with carbon ceramics unless you're ok with replacement costs.

There are a few independent shops in or near the GTA depending on what you are looking to do.

Hi Ken...
Welcome to the CCF Forums.
It may be beneficial to buy a C7-C06 vs a C7 Grand Sport...
The GS does have the Z06 suspension/tires but not the motor.
I believe you can put a performance oriented Z06 together for about the same price as a GS if you avoid all the ‘dress-up’ items...CF grills, rocker mouldings, etc.
650HP vs 460HP has got to be more fun on the track.
I could be off here but I think a basic Z06 can be had for 100K. Or loaded for $130K
I think GS Vettes are $110K+. Or loaded up to $120K...? Mostly dress-up stuff.
Maybe some C7 shoppers can correct me if I’m wrong.
The dealer could put prices on both options for you.

Graham

Hi Ken...
Welcome to the CCF Forums.
It may be beneficial to buy a C7-C06 vs a C7 Grand Sport...
The GS does have the Z06 suspension/tires but not the motor.
I believe you can put a performance oriented Z06 together for about the same price as a GS if you avoid all the ‘dress-up’ items...CF grills, rocker mouldings, etc.
650HP vs 460HP has got to be more fun on the track.
I could be off here but I think a basic Z06 can be had for 100K. Or loaded for $130K
I think GS Vettes are $110K+. Or loaded up to $120K...? Mostly dress-up stuff.
Maybe some C7 shoppers can correct me if I’m wrong.
The dealer could put prices on both options for you.

Graham

Agreed Graham, love the GS but can't substitute Z06 HP.
The heat issues in the Z06 are pretty much resolved from 2017 on. The pricing you mention looks about right too. The Carbon ceramic brakes come with the $9000 Z07 option. This option is available on the GS and Z06 and also includes stage 3 aero, some removable cooling ducting to be installed for the track, Sport Cup 2 tires and some heavier suspension tuning. The CC brakes are pretty well liked by the track guys for the performance but yes they cost to replace. I know I like them on my Z06 even though I do not track it.
Repair is by dealer if you buy new as the warranty is good on the cars. There are good techs available at some dealers. The local guys there will know them well and let you know. I read today all Z06 engine failures have been covered by GM as of late 2016. (take that for what its worth...internet article with a "quote" from a GM bigshot.)
For non warranty work there a number of good shops there near the center of the universe as well.
The A8 and M7 both work well however there is the ongoing 2nd to 3rd bump debate going on with the A8. Various levels of issues around this A8 thing with customers. The M7 apparently needs a short shifter install to be awesome. For my needs the M7 is good. I've had 2 of them and they were both identical in feel. I've driven the A8 for a week and liked it but did not push the car very hard.
Ken it seems you know your stuff and I guess it depends on what you want...used...or new off the lot.... or ordered with your specifics.

Either way you will love a C7 Ken. Very fun ride. :thumbs:

Reactions: nascar03
Welcome to the forum Ken. Great choices available to you depending on money and how much horsepower you can use and want.... The C7 Z06 is indeed impressive with the 650 HP but rumour has it this car can get away from you if not careful....On the flip side, the GS has been getting rave reviews as a track car as well. And and of course the price difference.... New 2017 3LT GS being advertised in Edmonton right now for $ 89,995.00.... All the best in either choice....

Reactions: ddgermann
No first hand experience, but plenty of research/internet experience. :D
The GS is a little more forgiving at the track when compared to the Z06 due to a slightly softer suspension and not having to hold as much hp out of the corners.
The Z07 package would be a great addition for the track as it provides less unspring weight and more aero. However, beating a dead horse, the brakes are expensive.
As for service, it’s a Chevy. A few specialty items but nothing super exotic when compared to other high end cars. As for which dealer, I would suggest you take some time to visit a few different places and get a feel for if you’d like them or not. Make sure the dealer is interested in your business and find out how much knowledge they have of the Corvette because although I said it’s a Chevy, it’s good to have someone not only with knowledge of what options it comes with, but you want people who are up to speed on any trending issues and/or the latest service bullitins.

Anyway, here is a good vid for your entertainment.

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.