I have learned something new yesterday, I would like to share with the group.

it all started with a US dealer making a claim yesterday that he has a few 2023 Z06 orders at status 3000 (accepted by production). I commented that this dealer was lying and that all orders that are entered in the system at currently at status 1100, that dealers wont know how many allocations they will get until Thursday Aug 11, and allocations need to be matched to orders for them to move to status 2000 (accepted by GM) before they can become status 3000 (accepted by production). In response to my explanation why he is wrong, he did not provide an explanation why he was right, but later on provided proof to the Admin, who shared his explanation with me. So I have publicly posted that I stand corrected. So here is an explanation of how some orders where accepted for production before any allocations.

To get your order this early here is what has to happen:

let us say you are working with a dealer which historically has had a good amount of allocations, and further that you are willing to spend $5,000 to get a custom VIN. GM has a formal application process by which they evaluate these factors.

Please note that they do not accept all custom VIN applications, Yet, when they accept your application for VIN xyz, are they not up front saying we will build your car at some point when its number is up — but we know that VINS are build in sequence.

If I were to want a custom VIN, I should have reached out to my dealer many months ago (some did it 1 year ago) and asked, could they please try and make this happen. If the dealer can assist in this process via a good allocation amount history, then a formal application is sent to GM requesting model and your desired specific VIN

Of course GM turns down some of those applications. Hypothetically, if I applied for custom VIN # 001 for the Z06, that application would of course be denied by GM because of the auction already being held/completed for number 001 — as we know going to Rick Hendrick at City Chevrolet. Similarly those applying for an extremely low VIN might conflict with some other GM specific-VIN purpose(s).

GM needs to make the lower VIN’s first, so while this reaching status 3000 is surprising in a way since no formal Z06 allocations have yet to be given out, perhaps the custom VIN application form being formally and earlier granted by GM should have told us that they have accepted these cars for production, e.g., status 3000 via a different avenue than the general one of allocations not yet being granted?

this is not a back door. $5000.00 will not buy you a PIN optioned car. It takes months of research on how to do this and then convincing General Motors on giving you that specific VIN. In my opinion 9 out of 10 dealers do not even know what RPO PIN is.

The customizable VIN option (PIN) has been available since 2011. It is not a secret.

there are 8 Z06s at status 3000, 5 Anniversary Z’s with custom VIN; 3 custom VIN but not anniversaries. In 2020 there were 31 customers, in 2021 only 5 and 2022 having a similar small handful. However with he Z06 being so coveted and people learning about option “PIN” over time, could there be 50, or even twice that?

so do those customers and vehicles count towards dealer's allocation? the answer is NO.
These are separate grantings. Think of the custom VIN application process as a completely separate route, and why I chose the word “granting” not “allocation” in this response. As noted previously, this is a complex and lengthy process before GM approves of such an application. Far from all applications are accepted.

Reactions: 2020C8#49
R
I have learned something new yesterday, I would like to share with the group.

it all started with a US dealer making a claim yesterday that he has a few 2023 Z06 orders at status 3000 (accepted by production). I commented that this dealer was lying and that all orders that are entered in the system at currently at status 1100, that dealers wont know how many allocations they will get until Thursday Aug 11, and allocations need to be matched to orders for them to move to status 2000 (accepted by GM) before they can become status 3000 (accepted by production). In response to my explanation why he is wrong, he did not provide an explanation why he was right, but later on provided proof to the Admin, who shared his explanation with me. So I have publicly posted that I stand corrected. So here is an explanation of how some orders where accepted for production before any allocations.

To get your order this early here is what has to happen:

let us say you are working with a dealer which historically has had a good amount of allocations, and further that you are willing to spend $5,000 to get a custom VIN. GM has a formal application process by which they evaluate these factors.

Please note that they do not accept all custom VIN applications, Yet, when they accept your application for VIN xyz, are they not up front saying we will build your car at some point when its number is up — but we know that VINS are build in sequence.

If I were to want a custom VIN, I should have reached out to my dealer many months ago (some did it 1 year ago) and asked, could they please try and make this happen. If the dealer can assist in this process via a good allocation amount history, then a formal application is sent to GM requesting model and your desired specific VIN

Of course GM turns down some of those applications. Hypothetically, if I applied for custom VIN # 001 for the Z06, that application would of course be denied by GM because of the auction already being held/completed for number 001 — as we know going to Rick Hendrick at City Chevrolet. Similarly those applying for an extremely low VIN might conflict with some other GM specific-VIN purpose(s).

GM needs to make the lower VIN’s first, so while this reaching status 3000 is surprising in a way since no formal Z06 allocations have yet to be given out, perhaps the custom VIN application form being formally and earlier granted by GM should have told us that they have accepted these cars for production, e.g., status 3000 via a different avenue than the general one of allocations not yet being granted?

this is not a back door. $5000.00 will not buy you a PIN optioned car. It takes months of research on how to do this and then convincing General Motors on giving you that specific VIN. In my opinion 9 out of 10 dealers do not even know what RPO PIN is.

The customizable VIN option (PIN) has been available since 2011. It is not a secret.

there are 8 Z06s at status 3000, 5 Anniversary Z’s with custom VIN; 3 custom VIN but not anniversaries. In 2020 there were 31 customers, in 2021 only 5 and 2022 having a similar small handful. However with he Z06 being so coveted and people learning about option “PIN” over time, could there be 50, or even twice that?

so do those customers and vehicles count towards dealer's allocation? the answer is NO.
These are separate grantings. Think of the custom VIN application process as a completely separate route, and why I chose the word “granting” not “allocation” in this response. As noted previously, this is a complex and lengthy process before GM approves of such an application. Far from all applications are accepted.
Well this could be a good idea, especially if you keep the car and you get 5k in GM money. It’s a break even proposition.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.