Black Vettes Matter
Regular
Dec 6, 2018
VetteCoins
Car
C7 Z51 Owner
Province
MB
You know how if you turn the car off and close the doors with the keys inside the car will honk to tell you your stupid? When in my garage i generally leave them on the roof or trunk in case is need to get inside. Today when i left in the morning i guess i left them on the roof. Started the car, drove 45 min to work, no warning signs or " no fob detected", couldn't get inside my building so had to drive back and there they were after the first corner i took from my house. Luckily i left early enough so there was no traffic and they were still intact.

You know how if you turn the car off and close the doors with the keys inside the car will honk to tell you your stupid? When in my garage i generally leave them on the roof or trunk in case is need to get inside. Today when i left in the morning i guess i left them on the roof. Started the car, drove 45 min to work, no warning signs or " no fob detected", couldn't get inside my building so had to drive back and there they were after the first corner i took from my house. Luckily i left early enough so there was no traffic and they were still intact.

If I where you, I would go buy lottery ticket right away.

I gotta ask... I do not have any cars with this ‘proximity’ key fob stuff.

Why doesn’t the car shut off when it gets a certain distance from the fob??
Seems simple to me.

I’ve always thought if I was standing by my car then could someone could hop in and drive it away?
How close does the fob have to be.??
We were ou5 at a restaurant with friends a bit ago.
His car was parked right near the window where our table was.
I asked him if he knew how close the proximity fob had to be? He didn’t know.
I said I wonder if I can go outside to your car right now and drive away.
If you are loading stuff in your trunk can the car be started by someone else?
Sorry if these are simple questions.. I have no way to test my speculations.

Thanx
Graham

I gotta ask... I do not have any cars with this ‘proximity’ key fob stuff.

Why doesn’t the car shut off when it gets a certain distance from the fob??
Seems simple to me.

I’ve always thought if I was standing by my car then could someone could hop in and drive it away?
How close does the fob have to be.??
We were ou5 at a restaurant with friends a bit ago.
His car was parked right near the window where our table was.
I asked him if he knew how close the proximity fob had to be? He didn’t know.
I said I wonder if I can go outside to your car right now and drive away.
If you are loading stuff in your trunk can the car be started by someone else?
Sorry if these are simple questions.. I have no way to test my speculations.

Thanx
Graham

For C7s
Yes you can walk away from your running car with your FOB in your pocket Graham and it will keep running. However if you’re smart with the settings the doors will lock when your about 2 meters away. When you approach the car the doors remain locked until you touch the sensor to open it.
The FOB must be in the car for it to start. So no...technically a person couldn’t jump in and start it if you were loading into your open trunk. As above the doors would technically be still locked as they open individually. Settings again.
No..the car will not start, even if your doors were unlocked for some insane reason (settings) and the car was parked within 2 meters of where you may be with the FOB. As above the FOB must literally be inside the car for it to start.
Also... If the FOB battery goes dead there is a slot in the steering column you slide it in and your car will start and operate normally.
If you walk away from the car with the FOB left inside the car will make a hell of a racket to let the know your “making a mistake”, however this can get dicey if you carry 2 FOBs and one is still in your pocket.

• Useful
Reactions: nascar03
Pretty much everything Derek said goes for my car/fob. Except for the steering column feature. That must be a C7 thing. If I recall,the 2008 and onward C6s changed the fob to one that can plug into a slot in the glove box ? Can anyone confirm that ? I have a fob that I’ve only seen once before and that was an 06 Vert owners.

I’ve never had anyone drive away in my car while it’s running to test the “don’t stall” theory but I can say. It won’t start unless I’m sitting in the car so with that,I’d say if someone stole it and then stalled,she probably won’t start and the doors probably wouldn’t open,,,,,,Im guessing on that.

I’ve had a buddy try the door with the car off from different distances as we approached it. My doors sense the fob at about 3/5 feet away. Both sides.

As for how I carry my one and only fob,I have this utility cord attached and I loop it through a belt loop on my jeans/shorts. It’s the safest way possible I think. I can’t imagine losing this somewhere in the mountains.

675D0747-3D5F-4781-B116-E3F44A648BA9.jpeg
833386B2-A31E-45F7-A64B-8AD31EC9767B.jpeg

Reactions: 12cents
Pretty much everything Derek said goes for my car/fob. Except for the steering column feature. That must be a C7 thing. If I recall,the 2008 and onward C6s changed the fob to one that can plug into a slot in the glove box ? Can anyone confirm that ? I have a fob that I’ve only seen once before and that was an 06 Vert owners.

I’ve never had anyone drive away in my car while it’s running to test the “don’t stall” theory but I can say. It won’t start unless I’m sitting in the car so with that,I’d say if someone stole it and then stalled,she probably won’t start and the doors probably wouldn’t open,,,,,,Im guessing on that.

I’ve had a buddy try the door with the car off from different distances as we approached it. My doors sense the fob at about 3/5 feet away. Both sides.

As for how I carry my one and only fob,I have this utility cord attached and I loop it through a belt loop on my jeans/shorts. It’s the safest way possible I think. I can’t imagine losing this somewhere in the mountains.

View attachment 30165View attachment 30166

Yes Mike you are correct, my 13 had a slot in the glove box for a dead FOB.

Reactions: MikeysZ06

View attachment 30165View attachment 30166
Maybe you can offer these for sale Mikey. Would make a down payment on that C8

That’s a slick feature. Wish I had it. For peace of mind,I bought the 2 battery package and have the extra in the glove box. Got 5 years out the last one so I figure I’m ok for a bit.

Mike. My C6 had it and I'm 99.9% sure yours does too. The slot is on the inside left side of the glove box. A flashlight helps you find it the first time. The key in the fob will let you in the trunk, pull the drivers door cable release, insert the key fob in the slot and your car will recognize it and start for you. It has to face one direction in the slot and I can't remember which. Owners manual would help there.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeysZ06
Mike. My C6 had it and I'm 99.9% sure yours does too. The slot is on the inside left side of the glove box. A flashlight helps you find it the first time. The key in the fob will let you in the trunk, pull the drivers door cable release, insert the key fob in the slot and your car will recognize it and start for you. It has to face one direction in the slot and I can't remember which. Owners manual would help there.
That was what that Pelican flashlight was for!

I’ll look again after work but I’m sure I don’t have one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.