Ntmd8r

RIP
You're a Regular 2 You're 10
Jan 27, 2009
Richmond, B.C.
VetteCoins
Is there any supplier in Canada for a CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator ?

To order one from the US is OK... but they all ship UPS,
and we all know what UPS does to Canadians.

And to have to make trip across the border for a $25 item is nuts.

Or... if I buy from a US supplier, I need to find one that will ship USPS.

Is there any supplier in Canada for a CAGS Skip Shift Eliminator ?

To order one from the US is OK... but they all ship UPS,
and we all know what UPS does to Canadians.

And to have to make trip across the border for a $25 item is nuts.

Or... if I buy from a US supplier, I need to find one that will ship USPS.

Why wouldn't you just get the guy you are buying the car from to install it for you before he ships it, or just throw it on the seat! ;-)

I did mine with the fuse you can buy. It's just a matter or replacing the one in the engine compartment fuse block with the one supplied. I don't feel I really needed it. About the only time the light ever came on was when I would be cruising along in low gear without picking up much speed. With normal driving the shift light seldom came on. Manny Dasilva can probably get you the fuse and may stock them.

Manual transmission Corvettes have, for many years, had a feature called "skip shift" which will prevent you from shifting into 2nd gear from first, if you attempt to shift at low engine speeds (under 2000 rpm) It will force you into 4th gear by slamming the gate closed to 2nd, a bit disruptive and annoying, although it just gives you an excuse to hold first a bit longer to avoid it, in my book!

The eliminator is a plug in that disables the system. It cannot be installed by a GM dealer, unfortunately, as it alters the emission and economy profile of the car as sold new.. It is, however, about a 15 second install if you happen to wander into a service bay while your car is in the air... ;-)

Our car passed the emissions test with the eliminator fuse in place.

It doesn't alter emissions in the sense of passing or failing the test. It is simply a case of GM basing the cars' fuel efficiency and emission output on driving with the skip shift functioning, and dealers are not supposed to do anything to alter that unless it is factory authorized. ie, you can have the dealer change the exhaust, so long as it maintains the factory emissions. You can have a dealer do a tune, so long as the same applies.

The skip shift is supposed to aid gas mileage slightly by getting you into a higher gear sooner and you can see the improvement when monitoring the digital readout in the dash. Removing anything emissions related has always been illegal. Only in the past five years, have the MOE guys have been pulling over the old muscle cars, street rods and Corvettes and fining owners who have taken off their smog related equipment. The '69 L78 Chevelle that we had came with headers from the previous owner. I spent about $2K buying repro exhaust manifolds and smog pump system then a new exhaust system to put it all together. Something to think about when buying cars with all the smog stuff long gone. It can get quite expensive to make them legal. Been there. I see cars from the '70s and '80s on Kijiji with all the smog stuff gone. NOT interested in them at all.

The skip shift is supposed to aid gas mileage slightly by getting you into a higher gear sooner and you can see the improvement when monitoring the digital readout in the dash. Removing anything emissions related has always been illegal. Only in the past five years, have the MOE guys have been pulling over the old muscle cars, street rods and Corvettes and fining owners who have taken off their smog related equipment. The '69 L78 Chevelle that we had came with headers from the previous owner. I spent about $2K buying repro exhaust manifolds and smog pump system then a new exhaust system to put it all together. Something to think about when buying cars with all the smog stuff long gone. It can get quite expensive to make them legal. Been there. I see cars from the '70s and '80s on Kijiji with all the smog stuff gone. NOT interested in them at all.

:agree:

By eliminating the 2nd and 3rd gear with the skip shift, it is also designed to improve emission release by preventing higher engine speeds...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.