Peter sorry to hear of you getting burned. I know there was a grated shield over the pipe but I think the pipes and shield still manage to get very hot. My buddy has the same issue with his Viper. Certainly caution must be taken.

Again sorry it happened.

Reactions: Peter watson
It is so hot that it was instantaneous. It is hard to believe GM released a car like this. You could not touch it to see if it was hot. This car is in New Zealand and may have had it replaced. The owner of the car and myself were just wondering if it was normal. If it isn’t I will find replacements for him when I get home at the end of April and then ship them to him.

Just one of those things you’ll have to remember not to do. Kinda like when anybody gets in my passenger seat. First thing I say is....”Don’t slam the door”

I recently got a very bad burn of the exhaust as I got into the car. It was so hot it was like touching the headers directly. Is this normal or could there be something missing.

I had another closer look at your 69 pictures Peter and It looks to me there isn't any heat shield cover on those babies whatsoever... No wonder you got burned and no wonder you compared it to touching the headers directly.... .... They look like aftermarket pipes but I wouldn't swear to that.... Heat shields and covers would definitely help but again, it looks to me that you are going to have to know the header and pipe manufacturer to get the right fit.

35314d1188051048-hooker-corvette-style-retro-sidepipes-cimg0025_640x480.jpg

Yikes! I bet that was a shock when getting out of the car! I hope your leg is doing well. My dad's 65 had side pipes, but they had the heat shields overtop of them.

I'm assuming, after this, there won't be side pipes in your Z06's future? :Biggrin:

Without the heat shields,one would say to ones self “ I’ll only do this once “. Hopefully the burn didn’t require a hospital stay Peter. That’s something that you’ll have to tell every passenger from now forward. Before they get in the car and as soon as you get parked and they’re about to get out. “Be careful of the exhaust”.

That’s should be number one on the “rules of your car” list. Again,hopefully it wasn’t 3rd degree. All that aside,that is a gorgeous car and probably gets a lot of attention. Can’t be very many in New Zealand is there?

A friend put the Corvette side exhausts on his COPO Chevelle. Before the summer was out, he had them off. The steady noise at highway speed got old pretty quickly and he did a fair bit of highway running. 4.10 gears didn't help either.
COPO With Side Pipes.JPG

Thank you for all your help. It is not my car, it is my buddies car. He has had it only a short while. It is good to know there should be a shield. I will help him when I get back to Canada. There is not much in the way of corvette parts in New Zealand. So once again thanks to every one who took the time to write.

There should be factory heat shields but they only help so much. I installed the hookers on mine after the engine swap and boy do they get hot. Told my wife numerous times be careful only to singe my own calf so bad the blister was the size of a softball. Love the look, now I step extra wide getting out and no more shorts when I drive her. LOL

As with Black 03 Z06, it pains me to hear of your skin sizzle on the side pipes. (I have had a few scalds on motorcycles) Having said that, Karma must have got you by you pre-warning your wife and then doing a show and tell for her..... ouch

I feel your pain Bearone. I had a 900 Kawasaki back in the mid 70's for a while. Had a funny noise one day and I squatted down to listen. Lost my balance backwards and reactively grabbed a handhold.... an exhaust tube... I still do stupid things at times but never did that again.

I feel your pain Bearone. I had a 900 Kawasaki back in the mid 70's for a while. Had a funny noise one day and I squatted down to listen. Lost my balance backwards and reactively grabbed a handhold.... an exhaust tube... I still do stupid things at times but never did that again.

I wish you still had it, so I could buy it to relpace the one I had! (I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Z900RS)
I have leathers with holes burned through from riding SS bikes all my life. No scars on my leg, but too many burns to count.
So much different on a C3. I'm guessing, once the skin touches the side pipes.....you're kinda buggered as far as jumping away is concerned?
Feel for you OP.

I wish you still had it, so I could buy it to relpace the one I had! (I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Z900RS)
I have leathers with holes burned through from riding SS bikes all my life. No scars on my leg, but too many burns to count.
So much different on a C3. I'm guessing, once the skin touches the side pipes.....you're kinda buggered as far as jumping away is concerned?
Feel for you OP.
You bet, absolutely love the look and the sound is not bad, definitely gives it a unique rumble. As soon as I was done installing them I looked at them and said " yep gonna have to be careful here". You really need to keep it in mind when getting in and out after driving, actually had somebody walk up to tell me how nice it looked and got too close and got a littler sizzle.

You gotta get heat shields. I have the obx maximizer side pipes and I added the vettepack inserts with some header wrap and they still get hot but not burn your skin off hot.

Reactions: Bearone
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.