Dik

Regular
May 7, 2014
St. Albert
VetteCoins
Car
2019 Z51 Convertible
Cathy found this truck for me in Grande Prairie back in 99, when I first started automation consulting. I leased it for three years then bought it out through my company (eazy peazy). I put ~450,00 klicks on this unit then sold it over night for $4500.00 to a nice family that drove in from Fort McMurray. I think he was going to mod it big time? It was a perfect truck to "slam", etc.

It was a highway commuter; I commuted from G.P. to Fort Murray for one year then the second year from St. Albert. Then I commuted to Calgary for another year....and so on. I wracked up 80,000 klicks in one year! The only mods were a Roll-N-Lock (froze every time it was cloudy, made in Florida....should have known better :Banghead: ) box cover and a full set of Pia driving lights. I needed a full set of lights (all six ON the same time...) because I was driving at night a lot. Yeah, everyone hated my lights. Now I know better.

One story; I left home in the afternoon and was on a secondary highway between Valleyview and High Prairie, (near Sunset House....if you know the road) as usual. There was about two inches of fresh snow. It was just dark out and I could see someone ahead of me and their tire tracks were alternating smoothly from shoulder to shoulder! They were having a hard time staying in the right lane! I was smoking along and caught up to the wandering culprit; an ambulance, with its flashing lights ON doing about 70 k/hr.! I cautiously passed the EMT's, put the hammer down and laid a straight set of fresh tracks for them to follow to High Prairie. 😇

I should have keep this one to modify myself.

Attachments

• 99 GMC 002.jpg
    99 GMC 002.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 26
  • August 2010 002.JPG
    August 2010 002.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 25
  • June 30 2005.jpg
    June 30 2005.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 23
  • August 2010 001.JPG
    August 2010 001.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 26
Cathy found this truck for me in Grande Prairie back in 99, when I first started automation consulting. I leased it for three years then bought it out through my company (eazy peazy). I put ~450,00 klicks on this unit then sold it over night for $4500.00 to a nice family that drove in from Fort McMurray. I think he was going to mod it big time? It was a perfect truck to "slam", etc.

It was a highway commuter; I commuted from G.P. to Fort Murray for one year then the second year from St. Albert. Then I commuted to Calgary for another year....and so on. I wracked up 80,000 klicks in one year! The only mods were a Roll-N-Lock (froze every time it was cloudy, made in Florida....should have known better :Banghead: ) box cover and a full set of Pia driving lights. I needed a full set of lights (all six ON the same time...) because I was driving at night a lot. Yeah, everyone hated my lights. Now I know better.

One story; I left home in the afternoon and was on a secondary highway between Valleyview and High Prairie, (near Sunset House....if you know the road) as usual. There was about two inches of fresh snow. It was just dark out and I could see someone ahead of me and their tire tracks were alternating smoothly from shoulder to shoulder! They were having a hard time staying in the right lane! I was smoking along and caught up to the wandering culprit; an ambulance, with its flashing lights ON doing about 70 k/hr.! I cautiously passed the EMT's, put the hammer down and laid a straight set of fresh tracks for them to follow to High Prairie. 😇

I should have keep this one to modify myself.
I love these trucks. I plan to keep mine forever since there are few to be found and no more new ones. Ford makes a shorty still but so what. I just threw out the lame 4.8 and put in a slightly cammed 5.3 and Flowmaster American Thunder duals. The other cool part is the plastic back fenders. No rust from the salt there.

Attachments

• IMG_1737 (1).JPG
    IMG_1737 (1).JPG
    691.1 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: Rruuff Day
Very nice! 😎 Yes, mine had the 5.3 l. rated for I think 270 hp? I added a CAI and Flowmaster exhaust but the drone was a killer. First I went back to stock exhaust then ditched the CAI.

I have considered a Ford shorty but I just can't go there.... I think GM is the solution to balanced performance; fuel economy vs horse power.

Very nice! 😎 Yes, mine had the 5.3 l. rated for I think 270 hp? I added a CAI and Flowmaster exhaust but the drone was a killer. First I went back to stock exhaust then ditched the CAI.

I have considered a Ford shorty but I just can't go there.... I think GM is the solution to balanced performance; fuel economy vs horse power.
I have an AFE CAI and no drone from the American Thunder. I got a dyno tune on the 5.3 - 330 at the wheels. I really wanted to go 6.2L but that was a Gen 4 rewire of the engine compartment and how that talks to Gen 3 transmission control unit no one could be sure.

Bixter. How many kilometers do you have? My transfer case "popped" around 250,000 kilometers or about 100,000 of AUTO mode. I learned this was an issue for 1999 1/2 (mine) models. IIRC the AUTO mode oil pump mount was moulded as part of the transfer case shell. When driving in AUTO mode a lot the oil pump wears a hole in transfer case shell literally dumping the transfer case oil on the ground.The transfer case was replaced basically at my expense (off warranty but have friends at a certain dealership :Biggrin:). The newer transfer cases were re-designed to eliminate this problem. I do not know exactly what the new design included or which model year it started?

Consider this before worrying about your TC; I was driving many many highway kilometers (typically over 2000 k/week) in AUTO mode and usually very fast. When I described my driving habits to the Service Manager he said, "well, that explains it".

I am happy to say I don't drive like I used to. My driving goal/style since is to "not make bad decisions" ..... or as darn few as possible. ;)

Bixter. How many kilometers do you have? My transfer case "popped" around 250,000 kilometers or about 100,000 of AUTO mode. I learned this was an issue for 1999 1/2 (mine) models. IIRC the AUTO mode oil pump mount was moulded as part of the transfer case shell. When driving in AUTO mode a lot the oil pump wears a hole in transfer case shell literally dumping the transfer case oil on the ground.The transfer case was replaced basically at my expense (off warranty but have friends at a certain dealership :Biggrin:). The newer transfer cases were re-designed to eliminate this problem. I do not know exactly what the new design included or which model year it started?

Consider this before worrying about your TC; I was driving many many highway kilometers (typically over 2000 k/week) in AUTO mode and usually very fast. When I described my driving habits to the Service Manager he said, "well, that explains it".

I am happy to say I don't drive like I used to. My driving goal/style since is to "not make bad decisions" ..... or as darn few as possible. ;)
It is an '05 with 195,000. Funny you should mention Auto. I never use Auto because it doesn't work smoothly. Our Trailblazer is seamless in auto. My truck doesn't kick in the front wheels as soon as I would like. The revs come up because the back wheels are losing traction and the front wheels slam in. You can feel it in the steering wheel. I feel I could trash the transfer case even sooner than expected. I have a buddy that has done some work on his transfer case. He crawled under mine and put an x on it with a Sharpie where my case will wear through at some point. Maybe the same spot where yours wore through. The truck doesn't have traction control. I was surprised to see that. I then assumed it was because it was an SLE. Maybe SLT's would have it. But I have yet to see an SLT shorty up to '07 anyway. The service manager quote is hilarious. I like to rock and roll too. Just was never very lucky in my youth. Five 0 were always right there. I have more luck now that I am older for some reason.

Reactions: Dik
Hey Bix. Yeah I totally agree about how the front axle was slammed into action when the rear tires slipped. There is a lot of slack to wind up! This was really annoying when shifting from REV to FWD or when pulling away from a stop, any low speed condition. FYI, My truck was equipped with "Traction Control".

Because I was hauling my butt down a sometimes patchy snow covered or icy highway I would leave it in AUTO rather than punching the buttons between 4WD or 2WD. And at constant highway speeds I never felt the slack wind up and slam my front axle into drive. I had (sort of safely) tested that the front axle was engaging just a couple of times and am confident it was "pulling". Slippery corners were a smooth transition into 4x4 so I expect the same thing on long straight stretches of snow covered or icy highways.

.... So after ~10 years, ~450,000 kilometers, zero accidents, zero ditches (zero winter tires) and only one deer-hit I'm very confident with that drive configuration.

EDIT: Did your buddy put that X on the lower passenger side of the T.C.?

Hey Bix. Yeah I totally agree about how the front axle was slammed into action when the rear tires slipped. There is a lot of slack to wind up! This was really annoying when shifting from REV to FWD or when pulling away from a stop, any low speed condition. FYI, My truck was equipped with "Traction Control".

Because I was hauling my butt down a sometimes patchy snow covered or icy highway I would leave it in AUTO rather than punching the buttons between 4WD or 2WD. And at constant highway speeds I never felt the slack wind up and slam my front axle into drive. I had (sort of safely) tested that the front axle was engaging just a couple of times and am confident it was "pulling". Slippery corners were a smooth transition into 4x4 so I expect the same thing on long straight stretches of snow covered or icy highways.

.... So after ~10 years, ~450,000 kilometers, zero accidents, zero ditches (zero winter tires) and only one deer-hit I'm very confident with that drive configuration.

EDIT: Did your buddy put that X on the lower passenger side of the T.C.?
You have given me a new thought process about Auto and will use it in patchy highway conditions. It makes sense that it will work better at highway speed. My problem is around town, leaving stops signs and stuff. So I just use 4x4. Since your truck had traction control I am going to have look into that again. My truck cost $41,000 in 2005!!!! according to the window sticker. Other than an optional 4:10 rear end, there's nothing special about it. And it's an SLE. No leather, heated seats, lumbar etc. That seems like a lot of money for a little truck missing a few popular options. I'd like the traction control for when my wife drives my truck. Which isn't often. I like that yours went 450,000 kms. I plan to die with mine, so I am glad it is going to last. The new 5.3 helps with that plan too. I really wanted to go Procharger on the 4.8 but needing premium gas in my daily driver isn't the way I want to go. Save that fuel for the Vette. And yes that's where my buddy put the X. Probably about time I had a look at that spot. It got a new transfer case on warranty before I got it. So it doesn't have the full 195,000 on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Dik
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.