cfug

I'm New Here
Jun 6, 2020
VetteCoins
Province
ON
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member here.

I've always wanted a Corvette and I think the time may be right for me now. When the C7 hit the streets I loved it. Now the new C8 looks great as well, but I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. My thought is that I can always trade up to a C8 in a couple years, and maybe not best to buy the first year of the new model.

Is this sound logic? or is the C8 so much better, and I would be silly to consider anything else?

Assuming the answer is go C7.

Is there a particular year and model that would be a sweet spot to look for?
Something that is a couple years old maybe to gain from a bit of depreciation, but not lose out on any new features?

As an example, is a 2017 C7 basically the same as a 2019?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to joining the club.

If your heart is set on a C8 then you may have a bit of a wait. I gather all the early allocation is sold out. Now it is a nice car but I wouldn't necessarily pick it over a C7.
There were in my view just minor enhancements between the 2017 and 2019 C7 models based on the same trim levels. The major difference as I understand it was an improvement in the auto transmission for 2019 which apparently cured some of the "whining" issues that existed in some earlier years models. Read somewhere the other day that there were only about 300 new 2019 C7's unsold at the moment. So if you are going that direction you should consider moving quickly. Otherwise a good lightly used earlier model is not a bad place to start. Should save you some money as well.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hey "cfug"; welcome to the Forum. Your question will have people answering either way, since many are die-hard C7 fans and others like me were pushed over the edge for a Corvette because of the C8. Really, both are great cars so it comes down to your choice. I'd suggest you:

1. look at the many YouTube videos out there reviewing each car individually and also those comparing them. The C8 is pretty well a 100% ground-up new design and considered revolutionary for Corvette, due to its mid-engine and other design changes. That's what's caused all the buzz. But many consider the C7 to be the pinnacle of the front-engine design Corvette;

2. you really should try and see a C8 up close; there's a world of difference seeing it on a video compared to in-person. It sounds like you're familiar with the C7 so you've likely had a chance to see it in-person already. Ideally, it would be nice if you could visit a dealer who had both a C7 and C8 for you to look at, at the same time. With production of the C8's having resumed, we should hopefully see them starting to arrive at Canadian dealers again in the next 6 to 8 weeks (?). Find a dealership close to you that orders lots of Corvettes and has more C8's coming in, get to know the new car sales manager and put yourself on his/her radar by expressing an interest in a new C8 but indicate you're trying to choose between the C7 and C8...then hopefully you'll gain access to a new C8 when it comes in; perhaps not to sit in it but I was allowed to view one inside and out when it was in a dealer's shop getting ready for a customer's delivery;

3. seek input from people who have owned a C7 and now own a C8. But right now, C8's are rather scarce in Canada. That will change over the next several months. And perhaps someone here on CCF will chime in to describe their thoughts on the C7 versus the C8, if they've owned both. You may however expect some bias from people who have already gotten rid of their C7 in favour of a C8;

4. how important is it for you to have a standard transmission? If it's by far your preference to "use a stick" then the C7 will be your logical choice;

5. consider your finances, since an older or used C7 will save you TONS of money, compared to a new C8. So if money is a big factor, that makes the choice very easy;

6. consider how much of a hurry you're in to get "the car of your dreams". Depending upon your age and future goals, maybe now is the time to get a C8, if doing #1 and #2 above, has you strongly leaning towards a C8. On the other hand, if you're OK waiting, know you'll enjoy a C7 right now as much as or almost as much as a C8, know you'll be able to buy another Corvette down the road (ie. the C8) then for sure, pull the trigger on a C7 and save the dough, not only when buying a Corvette now but hopefully later when the C8 has been out awhile, demand has diminished and with that, perhaps pricing or GM throwing in better finance rates or free options...or you can try to buy a used C8 w/o taking as much of a depreciation hit down the road. We know that when the C8 Z06 comes out in 2022(?), there will be C8 Stingray owners trading them in for the Z06 and that could be your opportunity to find a nice used C8 Stingray. Doing this gives you the best of both worlds: owning a C7 and then a C8;

7. if you're super concerned about buying a new model year, then that also makes your decision easier: buy a C7 which has been in production for many years. On the other hand, GM tells us that during the COVID shut-down, it addressed most of the early glitches found with the C8. Time will tell but perhaps that's now less of a concern for the C8.

Whatever you do, you can't go wrong with either choice. But it boils down to your preference and perhaps the foregoing factors will help you decide. Good luck!

@cfug Don't know if your money situation has you financing or simply buying outright, but a 2017 and up C7 gets you enjoying the car right away. There are some great deals on them in all trim levels and models...except the 19 ZR1. That is an expensive and scarce beast and about the only one that won't continue to depreciate steadily. The wait for a C8 realistically is till mid to late 2021 for you in my opinion as these cars have guys waiting for them all over Canada. I would not expect to find one for sale on the showroom floor for quite a while. Especially one in the colors and trim you want. As said above... when do you want to drive a Corvette?
The C7 is a fantastic ride and big improvement over the C6 and the early reports are the C8 with your sitting position far forward is greatly different in ride position and feel over the C7. These are positive reports in every one I have seen.

So it is up to you. Can't go wrong either way.

What configuration are you after... M7 vs A8; Z06 vs Stingray; 1LT(Z) vs 2 or 3LT(Z); vert vs coupe?

Congrats at wanting a Corvette. The C7 is certainly a proven choice. To correct a previous comment, the C7 was also pretty much a ground up re-design from earlier models. Having also owned a C6, the only thing carried over to the C7 was the roof release hatch and the cabin air filter. Yes. The C8 is certainly a more radical re-design but I'm certain you wouldn't regret buying a C7. Someday I may venture out and buy a new C8 but it certainly won't be until the car has proven itself first. JMO

Hey cfug, welcome to the CCF - great place to hang out and get access to a wealth of info from the gang. You will find this to be a very respectful forum.

Now to your question. If you are ready to buy now, the answer is simple; look for and find a C7. Once you make up your mind to buy a Vette (and get approval from you know who), then you want to be driving one as soon as possible. Decide on what you want: manual/auto, coupe/convertible, 460 or 650 hp. Driving season is upon us brother - so go for it. There will be a good selection of new and used 2019 C7s across Canada. Don't limit yourself to the area in which you live - there could be a great deal on the car you want in another city or province. I agree with Derek (dggerman), 2017 - 2019 is the sweet range for a C7 - just do a search and you will find a wide selection.

Get driving - now! As Rick Conti says; Stop Dreaming and Start Driving!

Keep us all posted on your progress.

WOW, I stepped out for a round of golf and came back to some fantastic responses. Thank you very much, I really appreciate the detail and thought that went into them.

I think you have already helped push me towards a C7. While I'm not in a crazy rush, I'd like to have something before end of 2021, and really I've loved the look of the C7 and have been wanting one ever since I first saw one. I think the idea of getting one now, enjoying it, and then maybe upgrading in a few years is a good solution for me.

It sounds like 2017 - 2019 is the year range to be looking in.

Manual transmission.

I think I'm leaning towards a convertible.

Any strong thoughts on trim level? If I go in the stingray range, any opinions like "You can't go below 2LT".

Going to continue reading, and as someone mentioned some you tube reviews are probably a good thing for me to check out as well.

I'll also need to find a good dealer, when I briefly considered this about a year ago I walked into a standard GM dealer who sold a few Corvettes, he knew nothing about them and didn't really want to spend any time with me. He actually said "Corvette buyers know what they want, they just come in and order...... Are you ready to order?"

Thanks again for the responses.

Convertibles are great but limit storage options. But nothing like dropping the top without stopping, getting out, and rearranging luggage.

I’m obviously a fan of the Grand Sports.

I’m old so 3 level trim. No question.

Manual. #savethemanual

Cant help with Ontario dealers. There are a couple on the forum you may want to check out.

Best of luck!

I think you can look at mid-2016 and up as this is the year the Infotainment system added car play.
It is also the year the roof panel hardware was changed (mid year). So I would broaden the scope of
your hunt to as old as mid-2016 through tp 2019.. If a stingray you might as well aim for a 3LT if you
can. As close as the 3LZ if a Z06. This way you will not be wishing for added options.

Last edited:
I think you can look at mid-2016 and up as this is the year the Infotainment system added car play.
It is also the year the roof panel hardware was changed (mid year). So I would broaden the scope of
your hunt to as old as mid-2016 through tp 2019.. If a stingray you might as well aim for a 3LT if you
can. As close as the 3LZ if a Z06. This way you will not be wishing for added options and resale price
will not be too far off unless the Highest end Z06 with the 07 package (the most desirable next to the
2019 ZR1)

This all good advice with the Carplay addition unless you are looking for the Z06. @cfug The roof locking pins were also upgraded in mid 16 for the coupes. There are few issues I have ever seen reported with the convertibles in operation/reliability so all good there. The 17 and up Z06 has a much-improved cooling system for the supercharger. Although this was mainly a problem with the A8 cars, not the M7s. I actually had 15 Z06 with the M7 and never had a problem, however that car never saw the track where the problems with heat soak come to light mainly.

As far as trim level goes... I always buy the 3LZ cars as it is just what I want. Bang for the buck arguments are all over about the "right" level of trim to get. It is a personal choice in what your expectations are. For me, if I am spending way north of 100K on a car it will be loaded. Also, look deeper as there are many factory options that can be added at all trim levels. You will find Corvette is incredibly versatile in what is available from the factory in options.

My advice is to take some time and learn as much as possible about what is available and look for a car that checks off as many of your boxes as possible. I admit my first C6Z was bought without knowing all the details and although it was an amazingly fun car it was lacking things I later found out I wanted. Thus a quick and expensive trade up to the C7Z with the things I wanted.

Hi cfug. Researching vettes is a big part of the fun of the purchase process (for me at least). The garage is empty right now so naturally I spend time configuring cars. The National Corvette Museum has a “learn” section on their website where they have the specs for each model year. What’s especially handy is the “What’s New for 201x” section under each model year that might help with your decision if you’re looking at 2017-19 models and specific features are important to you. Best of luck.

One quick observation from looking so far. I'm surprised how many more Automatic vs Manual Transmissions there are. Almost 4 to 1. Limits the search anyway.

I've got nothing against people who want automatic, just surprised that the numbers are that high.

736988AC-CEFC-4452-A807-959B7E017854.jpeg

One quick observation from looking so far. I'm surprised how many more Automatic vs Manual Transmissions there are. Almost 4 to 1. Limits the search anyway.

I've got nothing against people who want automatic, just surprised that the numbers are that high.

The demand for auto tranny sports cars started in the US. Since 2014, only 10,383 C7's were shipped to Canada. If GM were only building 25% manuals, that could equate to only just under 2,600 manuals in Canada from 2014 until now. Realistically, it's certainly possible that more manuals than that were ordered and shipped but few dealer lots I have cruised even had 25% manual Vettes for sale. They are around and if you want a manual, hold out for one.

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member here.

I've always wanted a Corvette and I think the time may be right for me now. When the C7 hit the streets I loved it. Now the new C8 looks great as well, but I'm leaning more towards the C7 right now. My thought is that I can always trade up to a C8 in a couple years, and maybe not best to buy the first year of the new model.

Is this sound logic? or is the C8 so much better, and I would be silly to consider anything else?

Assuming the answer is go C7.

Is there a particular year and model that would be a sweet spot to look for?
Something that is a couple years old maybe to gain from a bit of depreciation, but not lose out on any new features?

As an example, is a 2017 C7 basically the same as a 2019?

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to joining the club.
I have had 3 corvettes before buying my 2016 C7 - so, on my 4th. I love my C7 vert. I have had no issues with it - AT has been perfect with no issues - easy to use the M setting and PS. Ilove the C8; but, my wife has vetoed me - so, I am keeping my C7. Can't go wrong owning a C7.

The demand for auto tranny sports cars started in the US. Since 2014, only 10,383 C7's were shipped to Canada. If GM were only building 25% manuals, that could equate to only just under 2,600 manuals in Canada from 2014 until now. Realistically, it's certainly possible that more manuals than that were ordered and shipped but few dealer lots I have cruised even had 25% manual Vettes for sale. They are around and if you want a manual, hold out for one.

Ah I see, so something more recent.

When I bought my RX-8 in 2005 it was completely reversed. Probably 80% manual at least.

I absolutely want manual, so I will keep my eyes open. I wonder if the rarity of them helps or hurts depreciation. Less of them, but sounds like less demand as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.