Featured Thread
Jul 28, 2019
VetteCoins
Car
1988 Corvette
Province
NS
Well, stuck in the house has spurred me on to build something I’ve wanted for a while: a shooting bench.

I’ve got several pellet/bb rifles/pistols that I plink targets with in the back yard:

Thats only a few I had out. I enjoy pellet rifles/pistols because they are cheap to buy, cheap to shoot and challenging to get good groupings at distance. I did 29 years in the military and was trained to “sniper level” accuracy. I wasn’t a sniper, but I have a natural ability with shooting. One day when I was on a standard annual shoot qualification, the range safety officer was impressed by my groupings with the browning 9mm on the 25 meter range. Turns out he was an “ex” sniper and he had a couple guys that were still snipers there with him that day. They took me aside and showed me a few things. Next thing I knew, I was on the base shooting team.

So having developed the skill, I really didn’t want to loos it. Pellet rifles are a bit different in shooting characteristics from powder weapons, but the basic skills can still be practiced.

I usually shoot from the standing position, due to my broken back. Somewhere along the way I decided a shooting bench would be good. I checked prices and decided I could build something that fit my needs better, was higher quality and cheaper to boot.

So I grabbed some oak planks I salvaged from some cabinets that were being tossed out at work. Pulled all the nails, ran them through the planer and the jointer, glued them up and left them overnight. This morning, I cut out the shape, added a “stop” all around the table (to keep things from rolling off), welded up a frame from 1” square tube and attached it to the underside of the table to add strength/weight.

Then I finish sanded the whole thing and gave it a coat of “red oak” stain:

Not too shabby if I do say so myself!

Then, on to the folding legs:

The legs are actually angled a bit forward and rearward. Doesn’t show in the picture for some reason. Probably the camera angle just not showing it.

Next I’m thinking of putting a copper inlay around the table top. Not much, just about a 10 gauge wire size. Just something to give it a little touch of “bling”. I was thinking of doing it in brass, but brass is just too expensive.

I’ll finish it up with a few coats of varithane and then start building the gun rest....

Working on the rifle rest:

That’s just a very basic start. The rifle rest will be on the standing aluminum cylinder. It will be a screw jack for height adjustment. There will be another screw jack at the rear for fine adjustments on elevation. It will also be adjustable for windage. The front mount allows both those movements. It pivots up and down on the upper bolts on the front mount and it will swing left/right by pivoting on the bolt you see in the close up of the front mount.

Still a long way to go, but its a good start.

:)

Last edited:
Great build. With Covid-19 on the rise, and everyone hunkered down, it is a great time for garage alone time, and inside projects.
I have my C6 on 4 jack stands, ready to change the fluids, and replace the old rear axle nuts with new ones.
Also a good under carriage cleaning will finish the job.
Although my regular poker games with my buddies has been put on hold, I did refresh the poker room, cleaned the table, added new cup holders and chips. I'm ready when the pandemic is over.

I watched the rerun of game #7 of 2011 playoffs between the Canadiens and Bruins. Although I knew that the Bruins had won that game in overtime, I was still thinking that Montreal would score ...not to be :(

Styay safe and healthy out there.
20200225_120812.jpg

Tourmax, I was a SB and AR RSO with the CF cadet program for 24 years. We trained the cadets with Daisy 853C rifles, at 495 ft/sec muzzle velocity, just short of firearm status. You should try that rifle. Very accurate... A properly trained cadets will shoot grouping targets less than 2 cms, and 90's on a 10 meter range. Good stuff at keeping up the skillset. We would train rookie reservists at the request of the units, as we could shoot these rifles anywhere, not just on a proper CF range. It allowed us to give them the basic training and skills up front, so that they wouldn't be wasting their time on a cold outdoor range.
Anyway, have a look at this link, you'll find that this outfit has plenty of accessories for this kind of shooting.
Enjoy!

The CO2 BB rifles and hand guns are a blast to practice with. Fairly quiet, cheap ammo and non-lethal fun. Just wear eye protection and don't point it unless it's the designated target.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.