Power User
Oct 8, 2016
West Vancouver, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2022 C8 Z51 3LT HTC
Province
BC
A loaded track pak GT 500 is about $128k CND. If the se adds $30k ( if that's CND) takes it $158k. To each their own. :Spit:
Just saying: awesome car - period! I am a corvette guy - on my 4th one - how many have you owned? I would definitely buy a C8 over the GT500 - no question; however, if my wife was not so anti cars, I would probably have both. I can afford both - not the issue - issue is wife - LOL!!

Just saying: awesome car - period! I am a corvette guy - on my 4th one - how many have you owned? I would definitely buy a C8 over the GT500 - no question; however, if my wife was not so anti cars, I would probably have both. I can afford both - not the issue - issue is wife - LOL!!
I'm with you on the C8. Happy you are on your 4th..

The GT500 has a 7 speed dual clutch Tremec TR-9070 which is similar to the 8 speed Tremec TR-9080 in the C8 but in a longitudinal configuration. The auto shift will likely drive sales similar to how the 8 speed auto has in the Challenger and Charger Hellcat.

Definitely to each their own, different tastes, and different circumstances. The GT500 is going to give more of the front engine muscle car sound and visceral experience, but with a chassis of a modern sports car, giving a great GT car experience. The C8 is trying to compete with mid engine supercars

A friend of mine has a Mustang GT convertible because he has 2 kids, and if he isn't able to drive the kids in his car, he probably wouldn't keep his wife, plus they can also all go out in the Mustang so he isn't relegated to driving the boring family car.

The GT500 has a 7 speed dual clutch Tremec TR-9070 which is similar to the 8 speed Tremec TR-9080 in the C8 but in a longitudinal configuration. The auto shift will likely drive sales similar to how the 8 speed auto has in the Challenger and Charger Hellcat.

Definitely to each their own, different tastes, and different circumstances. The GT500 is going to give more of the front engine muscle car sound and visceral experience, but with a chassis of a modern sports car, giving a great GT car experience. The C8 is trying to compete with mid engine supercars

A friend of mine has a Mustang GT convertible because he has 2 kids, and if he isn't able to drive the kids in his car, he probably wouldn't keep his wife, plus they can also all go out in the Mustang so he isn't relegated to driving the boring family car.
Yeah. I am very familiar with the Gt 500 and the GT: my son's friend - both graduated with a B.A.Sc. (mech. engineering from UBC) worked at the firm in Ontario that builds the GT. And, yes, as is obvious, different cars for different markets and segments thereof. I bought one of the first (2007) GT 500 which was not a great car - I had to lower the car and install Shelby suspension pkg. to make it handle somewhat OK in the curves otherwise that baby was all over the place - LOL!

I only mentioned the dual clutch to differentiate "AT" from the planetary gear torque converter transmission in other cars like the Hellcat and ZL1.

I think the new GT500 might finally do what I hoped the early one could have been, as they were all over the place like you said with the live rear axle and heavy engine. I was really into the Terminator Cobras in the day, but that chassis was long in the tooth, the SN197 chassis had the potential to make the GT500 a great step forward, then I was thoroughly disappointed they went with a live rear axle and cast iron engine block. They improved later on with suspension upgrades and aluminum engine block reducing the front weight but still felt held back by suspension and tires.

I only mentioned the dual clutch to differentiate "AT" from the planetary gear torque converter transmission in other cars like the Hellcat and ZL1.

I think the new GT500 might finally do what I hoped the early one could have been, as they were all over the place like you said with the live rear axle and heavy engine. I was really into the Terminator Cobras in the day, but that chassis was long in the tooth, the SN197 chassis had the potential to make the GT500 a great step forward, then I was thoroughly disappointed they went with a live rear axle and cast iron engine block. They improved later on with suspension upgrades and aluminum engine block reducing the front weight but still felt held back by suspension and tires.
Yeah! I agree with you. The new GT500 has the same dual clutch as the Ford GT, I believe?

Yeah! I agree with you. The new GT500 has the same dual clutch as the Ford GT, I believe?
I think so, just in a longitudinal case instead of a transaxle case like the Ford GT, and it won Le Mans so they did something right. Then the TR-9080 in the C8 is related to the TR-9070 but has 8 speeds as opposed to 7.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Users who are viewing this thread