Dec 15, 2012
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 LS2
Hey everyone.
This message pops up from time to time...maybe once every few months or so then the next day it's gone. When it happens the car seems to almost jerk forward as I start accelerating from a complete stop, and just doesn't feel safe.
The dealership says everything is in fine working order...but yesterday it happened again.
Any ideas or suggestions?
I'm bringing it into the dealer tomorrow morning but I feel like I need to be better informed before they give me their usual song and dance...blah blah blah.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

12074531_10206712458362882_883855706487609631_n.jpg

David

Yes I did. I've since deleted the image of the codes so can't tell you what they were but I gave them to the dealer but they told me that they'd do the same. Not sure that they did...not sure 'what' they did....

But...

Let me bring you up to speed on what's happened since I made this post, and then bringing it into the dealer to have them 'fix' it.

Long story short, it's still happening and it's a lot worse now.

When I picked up my car, they said it was all fixed. They found a loose wire from the headlight recall service they performed.
OK, I make biker wear for a living...know nothing about cars so it seemed to make sense.

Driving the car home from the dealer....no problems. None.

The very next day and every day since, once I accelerate at a traffic light, and I'm not talking gunning it...just normal acceleration the dash starts beeping and the Service Traction Handling message comes on. Then just as before, once I start accelerating the car jumps from 1st to 2nd gear (I have an automatic) and the 'kick' the car gets can sometimes be pretty strong.

Still the same once I shut the car off. Upon starting the engine the message is gone and the car runs great...then as I gas it even ever so slightly when driving, say to change lanes or pass someone that now ever so predictable beeping sound kicks in and we're back to square one.

Over a month ago I took it in and they told me it was all good, and I get that they may have believed that...but I've been getting the run around from them ever since.

They don't return my calls, even when I get my rep on the phone he still doesn't call me back to get this sorted out. "David I'll call you right back". "David I'll call you tomorrow". "David let me check what I can do and I'll call you right back". ...and more of the same, but....nothing. No returned calls ever. Not one. Not to my home, work...nothing.
Nice huh? Going on over a month now.

So, enough is enough. I'm filing a complaint with the dealership, following that up with GM Head Office and getting my social media team on this to get my story of how this dealership "Wilson Niblett - GM Dealer‎" brushes off their customers.

All they do is rush me off the phone. "OK David I'll check with the Service Manager and get back to you"...but I never get a call back no matter how many times I contact them.

Supposedly the Service Manager is going to call me today to figure this all out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again, I get it...even if I take them at face value that they believed they fixed the issue...it's now worse than ever but they're refusing to deal with it, or me. That's what this is about now.

The funniest part is the only reason I took it to this dealership in the first place was for the headlight recall and it was the most convenient dealer for me at that time.

So, there you have it. If they don't contact me today I'm done....The story is much longer and with far more details that I've left out of this already far too long winded post. But if it comes to this, I'll take out a few pages in our local (Richmond Hill, Ontario) magazines and tell my story and overall experience so that others can judge accordingly if they wish to take their vehicle there.

Enough already. This isn't about it not being fixed per say...but how they've been treating me for the last month.

I'll keep you posted. :(

David

David...
That is not a good story..!!
I've had a similar occurrence recently with an ONSTAR upgrade thru a local dealership...
I believe you are at the point of getting GM involved..
Those dealerships do not want to be in the bad books with GM..
I'm hoping that solves your problem.

graham

The brakes on our '05 Jimmy started doing strange things. There was a fine vibration in the brake pedal and a bit of a noise when braking lightly coming up to a stop. Hold the brake pedal down and it would gradually go to the floor. The scanner showed faulty wheel speed sensors. Pulled the fuse to the antilock brake unit and everything instantly worked fine. Now, what kind of engineering comes up with stuff like this. About $300 a wheel because the bearing and sensor are all together. When I think of all the computerized stuff in these newer Corvettes, it is starting to make me feel a bit uneasy.

Yes I did. I've since deleted the image of the codes so can't tell you what they were but I gave them to the dealer but they told me that they'd do the same. Not sure that they did...not sure 'what' they did....

But...

Let me bring you up to speed on what's happened since I made this post, and then bringing it into the dealer to have them 'fix' it.

Long story short, it's still happening and it's a lot worse now.

When I picked up my car, they said it was all fixed. They found a loose wire from the headlight recall service they performed.
OK, I make biker wear for a living...know nothing about cars so it seemed to make sense.

Driving the car home from the dealer....no problems. None.

The very next day and every day since, once I accelerate at a traffic light, and I'm not talking gunning it...just normal acceleration the dash starts beeping and the Service Traction Handling message comes on. Then just as before, once I start accelerating the car jumps from 1st to 2nd gear (I have an automatic) and the 'kick' the car gets can sometimes be pretty strong.

Still the same once I shut the car off. Upon starting the engine the message is gone and the car runs great...then as I gas it even ever so slightly when driving, say to change lanes or pass someone that now ever so predictable beeping sound kicks in and we're back to square one.

Over a month ago I took it in and they told me it was all good, and I get that they may have believed that...but I've been getting the run around from them ever since.

They don't return my calls, even when I get my rep on the phone he still doesn't call me back to get this sorted out. "David I'll call you right back". "David I'll call you tomorrow". "David let me check what I can do and I'll call you right back". ...and more of the same, but....nothing. No returned calls ever. Not one. Not to my home, work...nothing.
Nice huh? Going on over a month now.

So, enough is enough. I'm filing a complaint with the dealership, following that up with GM Head Office and getting my social media team on this to get my story of how this dealership "Wilson Niblett - GM Dealer‎" brushes off their customers.

All they do is rush me off the phone. "OK David I'll check with the Service Manager and get back to you"...but I never get a call back no matter how many times I contact them.

Supposedly the Service Manager is going to call me today to figure this all out, but I'm not holding my breath.

Again, I get it...even if I take them at face value that they believed they fixed the issue...it's now worse than ever but they're refusing to deal with it, or me. That's what this is about now.

The funniest part is the only reason I took it to this dealership in the first place was for the headlight recall and it was the most convenient dealer for me at that time.

So, there you have it. If they don't contact me today I'm done....The story is much longer and with far more details that I've left out of this already far too long winded post. But if it comes to this, I'll take out a few pages in our local (Richmond Hill, Ontario) magazines and tell my story and overall experience so that others can judge accordingly if they wish to take their vehicle there.

Enough already. This isn't about it not being fixed per say...but how they've been treating me for the last month.

I'll keep you posted. :(

David

The obvious culprits for traction control malfunctions are your 4 wheel speed/abs sensors as well as the steering wheel/yaw/position sensor. The important thing is that you need a Tech 2 scanner to diagnose BCM codes i.e. to tell you which sensor is bad. You can't do that with a standard code reader when the car is stationary. This should be a very easy test for a tech to drive your car with a tech 2 plugged in. Go hard on your dealer and ask them to start replacing the sensors. Failing that it could be a number of other things like a faulty BCM module, faulty wiring etc etc but start with the obvious. If you can recreate this go hijack a dealer tech and tell him to scan the car whilst you're driving and this is happening. This isn't rocket science and these sensors go bad all the time.

I can't imagine a faulty headlight wire causing this unless it was shorting out the BCM somehow.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I checked my phone and as fate would have it, the image of the code reader was still there.
Here they are:
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 ECM
and
P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 ECM

I've googled them but they don't make much sense to me.
Any suggestions?
And thanks in advance.

David

Thanks guys for the suggestions.
I checked my phone and as fate would have it, the image of the code reader was still there.
Here they are:
P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 ECM
and
P0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2 ECM

I've googled them but they don't make much sense to me.
Any suggestions?
And thanks in advance.

David

Oh those are completely different issues. Do they show up regularly after the car has warmed up a bit?

That could be anything including: bad MAF sensor, bad O2 sensors, vacuum leaks in the intake/air bridge, electrical gremlins. Check your intake is seated and sealed properly. Re-plug the MAF connector in firmly to start with the obvious.

Do you get those codes when the service traction message pops up?

Last edited:
I have the exact same car mine was doing the same thing, please change your brake fluid all of it. I bought this one used and it had never been done I am sure, I tested it and it was 1% which is good but I changed it anyway and the problem went away. try it it's an easy thing to do let me know.

I have the exact same car mine was doing the same thing, please change your brake fluid all of it. I bought this one used and it had never been done I am sure, I tested it and it was 1% which is good but I changed it anyway and the problem went away. try it it's an easy thing to do let me know.

Thanks for that. The car is now stored, but once I take it out I'll absolutely give that a go.
I'm curious though, and forgive my ignorance...I know nothing about motors and electronics, but how does the brake fluid relate to the traction control?
In other news the dealer never returned any of my calls. I'm continually told that the Service Department Manager says he'll call me back on this day and that day, at this time and that time...but he never does. He simply refuses to talk to me, and I've basically had it with them. I filed a complaint through GM Head Office and they seem very interested in helping me. I guess we'll see what happens next.
Once again thanks for the tip. Come spring I'll let you know what happens here.

David

Well, the mystery is solved.
There's actually a recall on the 'Active Handling' for 05-06 models under the Vin Numbers listed in the recall, and yes mine qualifies.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...0V172-2715.pdf

Why my original Dealer has been giving me the run around since April and just refusing to deal with this...I have no idea.

So now I just got off the phone with a new dealer, obviously wont go back to that other one....gave them the recall notice, and sure enough...my car falls under the recall.
No questions, no run around....appointment booked for spring time to have it dealt with. Finally!

David

Well, the mystery is solved.
There's actually a recall on the 'Active Handling' for 05-06 models under the Vin Numbers listed in the recall, and yes mine qualifies.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...0V172-2715.pdf

Why my original Dealer has been giving me the run around since April and just refusing to deal with this...I have no idea.

So now I just got off the phone with a new dealer, obviously wont go back to that other one....gave them the recall notice, and sure enough...my car falls under the recall.
No questions, no run around....appointment booked for spring time to have it dealt with. Finally!

David[/QUOTE

Do you mind telling me what dealer you brought the car to so I know not to bring my car there for warranty purposes? If you can't post please pm.

Oh absolutely.
It's Wilson Niblett in Richmond Hill.
Wilson Niblett Motors - Richmond Hill, ON

The only reason I brought my car there in the first place last April was for the headlight and roof recalls. Otherwise I was perfectly happy with my own personal mechanic caring for the car.
As a business owner myself, I know all too well the power of bad feedback and how quickly it gets around the net...so I'm always careful when I have to post something negative about a supplier or service because feedback has to be fair, honest and factual...especially when it's bad.
Which is why I have no issues now releasing the dealers name.

David

Wow that's crazy! Never expected that from Niblett being from what I hear, the dealer to go to if you have a Vette. Took mine last summer to Boyer in Ajax for the headlight recall and some other warranty work with no issues.

Nothing is worse than having a problem and the people who make the car can't figure it out!

Reactions: DAVIDYR1
david, my 05 was doing the same thing under acceleration and progressively got worse, the code it gave me was a c code. it turned out that it was the maf sensor, replaced it fro about $110 and all has been good since. ps a "C" code usually has to do with traction control, but it turns out that all the code meant, was that it was turning off the traction control. I has previously cleaned my maf sensor as it was throwing those same codes you are currently getting. by the way, when the computer turns off the traction control with a code, it doesn't reduce the pressure in the trans which is why the hard 1-2 shift.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAVIDYR1
I have an 05 C6 with the 5 speed automatic that gave me a Service Traction System message as well as the active handling warning light as I shifted into reverse at a gas stop several weeks ago. It drove as if it was starting in 3rd gear and had no power for starting or passing. The dealer replaced the Transmission Control Module. I drove it home and on another 2 short trips with no incident. Then today, as I shifted into reverse the original event recurred, same warnings and same symptoms. The 1st occurrence I had 0 speed and 0 on the tach and XXX for transmission fluid temp, today unreliable mph and unreliable tach, but still the inop transmission temp indication. Again it was like starting in 3rd gear. I tried shifting to 1,2 and 3 and they all felt the same. I actually did not have enough power to start up a small rising exit to the highway without almost flooring the accelerator pedal. So I will call the dealer again tomorrow and see what happens next. I am hoping to be able to drive this in the National Caravan this August. Does anyone have a read on this?

I have an 05 C6 with the 5 speed automatic that gave me a Service Traction System message as well as the active handling warning light as I shifted into reverse at a gas stop several weeks ago. It drove as if it was starting in 3rd gear and had no power for starting or passing. The dealer replaced the Transmission Control Module. I drove it home and on another 2 short trips with no incident. Then today, as I shifted into reverse the original event recurred, same warnings and same symptoms. The 1st occurrence I had 0 speed and 0 on the tach and XXX for transmission fluid temp, today unreliable mph and unreliable tach, but still the inop transmission temp indication. Again it was like starting in 3rd gear. I tried shifting to 1,2 and 3 and they all felt the same. I actually did not have enough power to start up a small rising exit to the highway without almost flooring the accelerator pedal. So I will call the dealer again tomorrow and see what happens next. I am hoping to be able to drive this in the National Caravan this August. Does anyone have a read on this?

I had something similar on my C6z. Turned out to be a LF wheel speed sensor. Which means a total hub change as they are integral. Yours sound a bit more complicated due to the auto trans but hopefully it’s just wiring issues which is also very common with this kind of problem.

As per @ddgermann above most common issues are faulty wheel speed sensors (hub usually needs replacement for those as they're part of the abs system) or a yaw sensor (typically a quicker fix). You were in limp mode which is normal. Mech needs to plugin a GM Tech 2 tool and drive it whilst monitoring those sensor data streams to determine which one is going/gone bad. Hopefully it's just a sensor and not a BCM module or some other issue. Not a horribly expensive fix.

Update: I left my Vette with the dealer for a week along with a printout of the advice to use that tech 2 diagnostic tool. They said that is what gave them the code for a bad TCM(transmission control module) in the first place. They tested it again and got the same code. So a 2nd new TCM was installed and 120 miles over several trips driven for testing and no repeat of the problem. I have not had a repeat event either. So the analysis was a bad TCM and a bad 1st replacement. Now I’m a happy Corvette driver! Thanks everyone for your input.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.