Bowling

Casual User
Feb 6, 2017
Toronto
VetteCoins
Car
2010 Corvette Conv
Hello Everyone.

I haven't had too many opportunities this spring to go for a cruise, so on Monday , I set off for a drive in the country.
I stopped for coffee and noticed my front Plate holder was coming off, so not to lose it , i gently pulled it off.
It is held on with some type of mounting tape.
No worries , I'll fix it later.

I continued my cruise and all of a sudden this warning came on the dash, "Service Fuel System"!
My 2010 Convertible has 21300 kms on it.
I knew I had between 1/2 and 3/4 tank of fuel, and when I looked at the fuel guage it was reading empty!
I was shocked to say the least.

I thought I'll go to the nearest gas station and top up the tank as a first step.
As I started to put fuel in , the handle clicked off instantly , fuel was all the way up to the top of the filler tube and actually , much to my dismay, spilled on the paint.

I was approx. 100 kms from home so quickly I found the nearest GM dealer to see if they could look at it.
Unfortunately , there wasn't a technician available. So I was directed to another dealer about 10 kms away.
Unbelievably , as I was driving to the second dealer , my Right rear tire went flat!
I'm not making this up , Trust me!
I got to the second dealer on the run flats . They took the car in and were able to diagnose the Fuel problem .
Scan codes P2636 and P2066 , Right Fuel Level Sensor Reading Low.

Believe it or not their tire machine was out of service and I had to drive to an independent Tire shop to have my flat fixed.

Because I couldnt leave the car and it was still running perfectly, I drove the car home.

I took the car to a Mississauga dealership and have to wait a week for parts before the car can be repaired.

In the meantime , on the internet ,I see that as early as 2005 and as recent as 2014 many Corvettes have had issues with the fuel guage / level senders etc. I find this very disappointing. I did buy a GM used car warranty and am hoping that I wont be out of pocket.

I , like many of you, dont need to drive my car . Its not my daily driver , so I'm not bothered by having the car in the shop.

Victor

Attachments

• IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    574.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1561.JPG
    IMG_1561.JPG
    454.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1564.JPG
    IMG_1564.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1570.JPG
    IMG_1570.JPG
    574.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    545 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    644.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 22
Victor, I agree with Graham, you need a cold beverage. Frustrating for sure and I hope that you get the issue fixed and that it is indeed covered under your warranty.

There must be a better way to hold that front plate on.

Beautiful looking car. Love the colour.

No wonder you had a flat..
Someone put a big 'X' on your tire!!!

You had a tough day.
I think it is time for a beverage and nap.

Good luck with all the repairs.

Graham

Thank You Graham , I had a beer when I finally got home.
So further to this story, I picked the car up today and they have reset the warning and messages. The fuel guage is now reading correctly with about 1/2 tank. The car is running perfectly. I will return to the dealer when they get the parts. It was a cloudy morning with a 30% chance of rain on my way home but that didn't stop me from taking the top down. You were right , still smiling driving this beautiful car.
Victor

Victor, I agree with Graham, you need a cold beverage. Frustrating for sure and I hope that you get the issue fixed and that it is indeed covered under your warranty.

There must be a better way to hold that front plate on.

Beautiful looking car. Love the colour.

Thank you for the kind words Black. I noticed this issue with the plate in February. It was slightly askew when I bought the car. One day , I got down and looked for mounting bolts and found that the License plate holder is held on with some type of adhesive . I left it alone at the time because of the cold weather. So on Monday with 30 degree weather , it had started to droop even more , so l removed it before losing it. I have seen several alternative License plate mounting methods for the C6. I have to admit ,I prefer NOT having a front plate .
As far as the Fuel system warning, I'm more concerned that since 2005 , Corvettes have had fuel sender problems. I have to do more research but would I be correct in my thinking that the Old style, single Gas tank, C3 C4 cars didnt have these problems? Is this a problem , because internal fuel pumps, filters and senders are less reliable? Clearly harder to access.
Victor

So after waiting two weeks for my fuel tank sensors, I took the car in on Wed july 5 to have the work done. I got a call just now Sat . July 7.,from the service advisor. He has good news and bad news! The fuel sensor work is complete but while doing the work , they damaged the sensor connector on the magnetic ride shocks! How did this happen? They are the dealer . Am I to pay for perfectly good shocks that they broke? Is this typical of GM service depts.? Does anyone have any knowledge about these shocks and replacement costs etc.?
Victor

We have the base 2005 Corvette and even it has far more electronic stuff than I like to see. I don't need electric buttons to open the door then back up handles down on the floor just in case the electrical systems fail. I like the KISS system...Keep It Simple Stupid. I can't imagine owning one of these when they are 30 years old and no one makes replacement electronic modules for them.

The latest disappointment.
So , I finally got a call from the Dealer saying my car was ready. The issue with the shocks turned out to be broken harness connectors which they replaced at their cost. However , the Fuel System issue has not been fixed properly.
I picked up the car yesterday at 11 am, I decided to go for a solo shake down cruise to see that in fact, the Shock issue was done and how the car ran with the repairs to the fuel system.
I drove on a mix of highway and side roads and everything seemed normal until 108 kms later, approx. 3 hrs after picking up the car (lunch stop along the way) , I looked at the Fuel Guage , its reading Empty and I look at the dash and there's the warning AGAIN! "Service Fuel System" !
Let me remind you that this 2010 car has 21,700 kms on it!

So I drove the car right back to the Dealer and left it with them.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on?
Is this an unusual problem or have other members had this issue.

The dealer replaced Fuel tank components such as Level Sender unit, Module kit . I think the service is called 4028790 " Fuel tank Fuel pump module replacement"
Right side.
Not sure what the number means.
Parts
19257051 module kit
19207711 Sen Kit

the codes they were seeing P2066 and P2636

So , summer is going by fast , I have the Corvettes at Carlisle show booked , Wish me luck.
Victor

Could be a faulty sending unit in the tank. Over time they get corroded and dirty.
If memory serves I got some GM Fuel System Treatment which is high in Techron. This should help clean the sending unit and keep it working properly......(as well as conditioning the fuel system and cleaning the injectors).

Apparently some fuel is high in techron such as Petro Can that I use and have had no issues since that time.

GL Victor,
Colin.

The latest disappointment.
So , I finally got a call from the Dealer saying my car was ready. The issue with the shocks turned out to be broken harness connectors which they replaced at their cost. However , the Fuel System issue has not been fixed properly.
I picked up the car yesterday at 11 am, I decided to go for a solo shake down cruise to see that in fact, the Shock issue was done and how the car ran with the repairs to the fuel system.
I drove on a mix of highway and side roads and everything seemed normal until 108 kms later, approx. 3 hrs after picking up the car (lunch stop along the way) , I looked at the Fuel Guage , its reading Empty and I look at the dash and there's the warning AGAIN! "Service Fuel System" !
Let me remind you that this 2010 car has 21,700 kms on it!

So I drove the car right back to the Dealer and left it with them.

Does anyone have any idea whats going on?
Is this an unusual problem or have other members had this issue.

The dealer replaced Fuel tank components such as Level Sender unit, Module kit . I think the service is called 4028790 " Fuel tank Fuel pump module replacement"
Right side.
Not sure what the number means.
Parts
19257051 module kit
19207711 Sen Kit

the codes they were seeing P2066 and P2636

So , summer is going by fast , I have the Corvettes at Carlisle show booked , Wish me luck.
Victor

I have an '05 Trailblazer with the same gas gauge issue. Intermittent for a year then just shows empty. Lots of GM's did this, earlier than 05 too. I am just going by the DIC. It tells me how much fuel has been used.

Hello guys
I picked up the car last week and am happy to report , no more message . The dealer changed Left side Tank sensor . I drove the car last weekend to Watkins Glen , about 1000 kms return. Next trip Carlisle! I hope to make it to the CCO meeting in Sept. to join the club.
Victor

Reactions: ddgermann
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.