Jan 27, 2009
Township of Langley, BC
VetteCoins
Car
1975 coupe/2003 vert
Province
BC
Well, it happened.... DIC Messages.!
Yesterday while driving locally I stepped on the brake and felt a vibration thru the peddle(ABS?) and then the DIC said 'Service Active Handling' Then changed to 'Service Vehicle Soon'.
My Active Handling icon in the dash gauges came on(orange) and the words 'Check Gauges' came on the in the HUD display area.
I'm thinking something is wrong!.. And I'm wondering where the $$$ sign is going to appear..!!!!
During the last couple of long trips I have noticed that my cruise control would sometimes kick-off while driving and the DIC would read 'Active Handling' then immediately change to 'Cruise Disengaged'. I would slide the cruise 'resume' switch and things would be fine for 2 mins to 2 hours before it did it again.
I assumed the active handling had done something and that applied a brake(or two) and therefore the cruise would shut-off. I had chalked it up to a errant signal from a wheel speed sensor.
I guess now it has got worse.
For most of the trip home I shut-off the active handling(button in console) and the cruise was fine from then on.
I started reading forums last nite and found a few suggestions.. steering wheel position sensor(SWPS) and possibly driver's door wiring..?? These are not places I would think to go for this problem but I'm an old-skool mechanical guy. I will do more reading.
Today I want to figure out how to get error codes to show-up in the DIC.. Maybe I can determine more from that as to a possible fix or at least point me in a direction..
I'm hoping it to be just a connector on a wheel sensor with water or dirt inside or a wheels sensor itself. Beyond that I will have to throw myself at the mercy of the dealer.
I'll pull the wheels later today and check connectors, one at a time, and take it for a drive..
Lately, while washing the car, I have been using a long brush to clean the inside of my wheel rims thru the spokes. Maybe I hit a connector or wire? I'll know more later.
If anyone has any input that would be great to share.
Help in bringing up error codes is my next challenge.
Does anyone know the dealer installed cost for a SWPS..? Is it a job for a home-mechanic.?

thanx for reading....
graham

Graham I hope you can get this sorted out with minimal costs. Sometimes you wonder about the electronic side of these cars. I worry when "warming up the active handling" seems to take longer than normal to disappear.

Good luck, maybe something really simple like the brush breaking a connection somewhere.

Hey Graham
This is how to pull codes on your C5. If you search pulling codes on C5 on youtube there is a video that shows you how to do it as well.
Hope this helps.

How to Pull Codes:
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes) Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)
5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.
Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to reset them every time you pull the codes.
9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.

OK.. I went thru the DIC modules and codes..
It's really easy to do..I'm going to check this often.
Most everything is fine.. Only one code came up
28 - TCS C1287 H
a History code, not Current code.. odd..?

I didn't clear it... I then started the car...No codes or messages or warnings or anything..?

I took it out around the block.. no codes, no messages or warnings..?
Now I'll go hunting for the meaning of C1287 H.

EDIT:
3 mins later.. apparently it is the
C1287 Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction

I was hoping it was just an ABS/wheel speed sensor connector.

OK then.. I think I will clear the code...go for a drive and see if it shows again.
But honestly I know it won't fix itself.

Thanx to everyone reading this.. I hope it helps somebody check their codes.
graham

Last edited:
I get the service active handling message when temperatures seem to be a bit cooler outside. I've also got the active handling warming up display as well a few times. When I pulled my codes, I get the SWPS and front left wheel speed sensor codes. The good news for you is that your car is a 2003 and you can purchase new SWPS's. For 99 and 2000, there isn't a new SWPS on the face of the earth so if I want to fix it, I'm looking at finding a used steering wheel column and hoping it has a good sensor. Good times. In your case, although you can replace the sensor, I'm sure you'll still have to pull the column to do it.
In my case, my first plan of attack would be as you stated, checking the connectors at the wheels. If the sensor is actually gone, it means a new spindle assembly as the sensor is integrated and not a separate part. More good times. :D

Graham and Riley, that is just weird. I get the "warming active handling" every time I take the car out. I get about 300 feet from the driveway and it comes on, there is an audible alarm that tells me it is finished its cycle. It goes off at just about the same place on the road each and every time. However on occasion it seems to take longer, temperature does not seem to have an impact on it at all.

Really hope you can get the issue sorted out Graham.

'warming active handling' seems to be working by-the-book for you Murray.

I just stopped by the dealer and checked on the SWPS module.. $110.
Labour would 2.6 hrs @ 130/hr.
$500+ to replace module.. If that is the problem?.

On the short drive today no error codes or anything suspenseful..!
Now I want to see if it is a user changeable item, 'cause I charge myself WAY=LESS than $130/hr..!!!

graham

OK... Here's what happened.....
On Monday I decided to take the car to the dealer and have them run some diagnostics...
They couldn't replicate the problem and therefore couldn't prescribe a cure.
C1287H was a history code, not C1287C which would be a 'current' code.
We mutually decided that the SWPS was intermittently at fault.
I told them to go ahead and change it out.
Got the car back today and drove it home and then to the local A&W...
No codes, no messages, no active handling warnings.
I'm hoping this has fixed the issue.
I'm a happy guy if this works.
Graham

Last edited:
Keith.. YES SWPS seems to cause numerous issues.
Riley.. I AM lucky to get a new one. I suppose for the 'early' C5s you would have to find a used one that you trust??
I wonder if anyone has rebuilt an older one??
I should have got my old one back..I would have liked to take it apart.
Murray.. thanx.
graham

Yah, the issue with the 99 and 2000 corvette is that you can only get them used and you have to replace the whole steering column as the SWPS break if you try to remove them. So, it sucks to take the chance on replacing your steering column only to find the SWPS doesn't work......but I guess after a few times of trying different columns, you'd get really good at it! :D

Yah, the issue with the 99 and 2000 corvette is that you can only get them used and you have to replace the whole steering column as the SWPS break if you try to remove them. So, it sucks to take the chance on replacing your steering column only to find the SWPS doesn't work......but I guess after a few times of trying different columns, you'd get really good at it! :D

IMO this is ludicrous. Makes me wonder if I should be looking for a broke down 2002 in case I can't get parts for that in a year or two. Imagine not being able to drive an otherwise perfect car because of a sensor gone bad?!

Yep, pretty crappy and not to go off topic but:
Discontinued Parts List:
- Doors/Door Panels
- Rocker Panels
- Timing Chain Damper
- FRC Roof Trim and Head Liner
- HUD Trim
- Rear Brake Calipers
- EBCM for 97-2000 (Can be fixed by Chuck CoW)

However, most of this can be found used.... but the rocker panels would be a PITA to get off an old car.