A few years ago, GM had a recall regarding the Active Handling in the C6 cars. What was that all about? Sounded serious from what I recall.

I only had an active handling light once on my 13 Z. After all the wiring checks It turned out to be a wheel speed sensor. Car had 7000km on it but not warranteed as it is incorporated in the hub and considered a wear part. So ya... no recall but a $1500 bill to replace the hub. This is a known rip off with the newer Gen Cs. Traded the car a month later.

I’ve never had that in the 4 years I’ve had my C6 Keith. My issue is an intermittent air bag light since I’ve had it.

Hi Mikey
I had the same issue on my GS. Turned out it was the connector under the drivers seat, it would wiggle just enough when using the power seats to trigger the light from time to time. I wrapped a zip tie around the connector and the air bag light has not been an issue since.

Hi Mikey
I had the same issue on my GS. Turned out it was the connector under the drivers seat, it would wiggle just enough when using the power seats to trigger the light from time to time. I wrapped a zip tie around the connector and the air bag light has not been an issue since.
Well,that’s not the issue. And in all honesty,it’s not that much of a concern anymore.

I just had the steering wheel angle sensor replace at $475. We had the "Service Active Handling" warning come up and were worried that it could be something serious. First money that we have had to spend on the 13 year old car in the six years that we have had it so we can't complain. That evening, when doing my checks for house doors locked, I went into the garage and the Corvette had one headlight on dim along with the running lights and tail lights. The key fob didn't work at first but I eventually got the hatch released and got the doors opened and hood up. Turns out, the battery ground cable hadn't been tightened, just pushed on. I thoroughly cleaned both battery posts and added some graphite grease for better connection. Did them up and everything worked fine.....so far. All this electronic stuff is a concern and most of it I could do just fine without.

Reactions: ddgermann
Keith for $100 per hour you expected perfection?:Biggrin: Lucky you caught it before it flattened your battery.

Those little battery connections are in a awkward spot but no excuse for that.

My son was in at the Ford dealer for an oil change. There was a very upset woman who had her car towed in. She had just had a brake job done and the front calliper came right off and jammed in the wheel assembly, ruining that wheel. My son said she looked scared rather than angry. I can understand that.

Keith for $100 per hour you expected perfection?:Biggrin: Lucky you caught it before it flattened your battery.

Those little battery connections are in a awkward spot but no excuse for that.

My son was in at the Ford dealer for an oil change. There was a very upset woman who had her car towed in. She had just had a brake job done and the front calliper came right off and jammed in the wheel assembly, ruining that wheel. My son said she looked scared rather than angry. I can understand that.

I'll be back in there first thing Tuesday morning. These new style battery cables are a sick joke with such small threads that a person is afraid to tighten them too much for fear of breaking them. A friend has a garage and he can't even find a decent apprentice never mind a mechanic. The kids don't even want to work or don't even know how to work in all too many cases. Pretty sad so it is.

Hey anybody out there with information on a 2004 Corvette with 149000 miles on it never had any problems with this car recently replaced one of the tire sensors couple months went by and the reduced engine power came up along with traction control going on and off replace the throttle sensor ran fine for a couple weeks now the reduced engine power signal is up again and can't go over 30 miles an hour any suggestions?

• Useful
Reactions: jonsim
Electronic gremlins. Mandalay, start by checking all the grounds in the car that you can find. They are so sensitive to bad grounds you never know what is going to happen. I believe there are five main locations, maybe someone can attach a diagram to show where they are.

Good luck.

Hey anybody out there with information on a 2004 Corvette with 149000 miles on it never had any problems with this car recently replaced one of the tire sensors couple months went by and the reduced engine power came up along with traction control going on and off replace the throttle sensor ran fine for a couple weeks now the reduced engine power signal is up again and can't go over 30 miles an hour any suggestions?

At 149000 miles Mandalay, you have gone beyond that plateau when repairs and replacements may become commonplace. If this is your first gremlin, I would thank the Corvette Gods. Good luck and welcome to our forum. You may want to introduce yourself and your car in the 'New Users' section as well.

Hey guys,

Yes, I had that issue a few years ago with my Z06. My problem was due to a wiring connector under the steering column. If you telescoped the steering wheel then the wires were stretched and would not always make contact as they tried to pull apart. I got lazy and just drove with the steering wheel all the way to the dash.

However, the connection would still fail from time to time, usually if I pulled on the steering wheel if I was adjusting myself in the seat. Most times it was just a warning that came on the dash, but twice as I recall it actually fooled the cars computer into thinking there was a real problem. The active handling will apply one rear brake or the other if it thinks that you're getting sideways. That's fine if you really are.

BUT if the car just thinks that is what is going on and applies one rear brake, you suddenly and unexpectedly experience the car's back send either going right or left when you were expecting it to be going straight. Thankfully both times it happened was only at highway speeds and while going straight. But it was a very unsettling experience.

Worst of all, the previous owner had taken the car in for the recall and they claimed there was nothing wrong and so they didn't add the "comb" device to hold the wires together. Why they would go through all the trouble to remove the underside of the steering column and NOT both to install a $2 part eludes me. Thankfully the dealer in Peace River did it for me after the recall was over without charging me when they did the headlight recall the car had about 3 years ago.

Never had the "active handling" warning come on since.

Imagine that happening at say above highways speeds???????

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Garry

• Useful
The electronics really are wonderful and normally help the average driver in us push things just a little.

And I can understand the bean counters wanting to save on every mm of wire. But when the issue came up it should have been a mandatory adding of the comb to hold the wiring clip together. You're paying the techs at the dealer to inspect it, while you're there just throw the clip on. I'd have avoided having to deal with the problem had it been corrected in the first place instead of two years after the recall closed.............

But still have to admit I think the traction and stability control are two wonderful features of the car and help to keep it out of the ditch.

Cheers,

Garry

A few days of driving now and all seems to be well. Looks like the steering wheel angle sensor was the problem. I'd be just as happy if all this electronic junk could be optional to order if you wanted it. In about 60 years of driving, I have never been in a ditch. Might be OK if you are tracking the car but a waste of money for me otherwise.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.