Music

Ontario
Nov 20, 2021
VetteCoins
Car
2003 C5 Convertible
Province
ON
Any one else tried semi-syntehic oil in their LS engine? I ran it quite more often in my motorcycle than synthetic and never had any issues.

I think that under harsh cimate conditions, changing out a semi-synthetic oil at shorter intervals would offer better protection than a more expensive fully synthetic oil at longer intervals.

I`d like to hear some feedback on this for those of you that dare to venture beyond whats padprinted on the oil cap.

Most of those threads are ancient. I haven`t noticed any durability improvements in any of my vehicles using fully synthetic 5w30 on a regular oil change interval.

I find that mineral based oils seem to do a far better job of washing out the carbon deposits. Rather than adding a litre of Marvel Mysery oil or other mineral based additive, I have found it less risky to flush the engine out with Valvoline 5w30 semi-synthetic for a couple of thousand kms before adding M1 0w30 for the winter.

The 0w30 which is only available in full synthetic really improves lubrication of the upper engine during startup but like any oil used in a Canadian climate, it will breakdown due to accumulation of water just as quickly as any other oil.

If you have an accurate oil temp gauge, you'll notice dino oil runs 4-12°C warmer than full synthetic.
Might not mean much if you're trading in every yr or two, but over the long haul, I'd put my money on an engine (that's maintained) with full syn to last much longer.
Also, in higher revving engines, such as motorcycles, it's a better idea to keep them cooler, if possible, so full synthetic in all of mine.

Corvettes report oil temperature though the driver information console, I have not noticed any difference in oil temperature between Valvoline semi-synth and Castrol/M1 synthetic 5w30. Semi-synthetic valvoline flows really well for a mineral oil when cold and runs very nicely. It think that its hydroscopic properties are much better than synthetic oil for Canadian year round climates.

You will notice the difference after you put on 100,000 miles and you tear the engine down.
Mineral oil will have carbon build up up crud and the synthetic will have no build up at all.
I tore my engine down and installed a supercharger at 91,000 miles and because I have used synthetic and changed oil regularly it was all clean and compression was as it left the factory.

I`ve been running exclusively synthetic 5w30 for the first 200K km. The semi-synthetic quickly dissolved carbon deposits left behind by the synthetic. Hygroscopic properties of oil are becoming more important now that ethanol has been introduced into the fuel supply chain.

Given these circumstances that for all practical reasons are outside of my control, my intent going forward is ~5000km on 0w30/5w30 synthetic followed by a 2000km flush with 5w30 semi synthetic.

I`ve been running exclusively synthetic 5w30 for the first 200K km. The semi-synthetic quickly dissolved carbon deposits left behind by the synthetic. Hygroscopic properties of oil are becoming more important now that ethanol has been introduced into the fuel supply chain.

Given these circumstances that for all practical reasons are outside of my control, my intent going forward is ~5000km on 0w30/5w30 synthetic followed by a 2000km flush with 5w30 semi synthetic.
Ethanol is still avoidable in the fool supply chain...

Personally I prefer the french fry oil from Micky D’s. Mostly because of the way it smells after a hard run on a hot day.

Disclamer, I am not an engineer with years of data, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
You should actually try the peanut oil from KFC. I drain two litres out of every bucket of fried chicken.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.