Apr 30, 2012
Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2005 C6 1SB
After selling our Chevelles that we have had forever, I was left with forty years worth of spare parts that have accumulated. I advertised the parts. After dealing with just three people, I'm about ready to just scrap stuff and build the engines into ready to run units and find cars for them. I guess I was never cut out to be a salesman. There, now I feel better. ;)

After selling our Chevelles that we have had forever, I was left with forty years worth of spare parts that have accumulated. I advertised the parts. After dealing with just three people, I'm about ready to just scrap stuff and build the engines into ready to run units and find cars for them. I guess I was never cut out to be a salesman. There, now I feel better. ;)

did you ever call dean ireland keith ?

I might talk to Dean to get the machine work done and build the engine myself. I've looked at a '69 Chevelle that is for sale and would look better with an L78 engine in it than the L35 in there now. I can dream can't I? ;)

ha ha ha ha, keith, you remind me of my buddy. he's had a whole slew of old mopar muscle but for the last 3 years has a stage 3 roush mustang. he's now looking at old mopars again :rofl:. i say go for it keith, the newer cars are nice but for some of us, there's nothing like the thrill and nostalgia of the old stuff. :D

As GM stops producing the computers and sensors for these cars as they get older, we're going to have problems. For the past few years, GM has been producing 11-12K Corvettes a year. Not much of a market for the aftermarket to step up to. Try to find a steering wheel position sensor for a '98 Corvette. There are just too many computers and modules in these cars to make me comfortable owning one when they get old. With an LS engine and six speed in a Chevelle, I would have only one computer to worry about. It would turn a gas guzzling stone into a real performer with gas mileage too. Sort of the best of both worlds....at least in the world I came from. Reliability, not a problem. We put 37K miles on our L78 Chevelle and the only problem we had was, you guessed it, the electronic HEI distributor that some previous owner had installed. Replacing that one with a 396 points distributor and the car ran fine. The KISS system has always worked for me in both work and cars.

When you read some of the forums concerning automotive electronics I suspect Keith is right. I wonder in a "sports car" like the Corvette why some of this equipment is even required at all. Big discussion on how to get the electronic controls on the seat of the C7 to work and I wonder what is wrong with a lever(s) on the side of the seat.

Just look at the life expectancy of electronic devices in your home and then wonder what will become of these very expensive parts in your car. I think the simpler the better and yes that means to me minimal electronics.

As Doug points out, this isn't limited to Corvettes. Most vehicles today are full of electronics and computers. High volume production vehicles gives the aftermarket a big target to shoot at. Not so with the newer Corvettes. It sure has me rethinking cars that I want to own.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.