Peter Szarka

Casual User
You're 5
Nov 6, 2014
Langley, BC
VetteCoins
Car
2015 Stingray Z51
Hello all, I did a search to see if I could find a possible solution to my issue, but didn't find anything on the topic. I have an alarming situation ( I think ) with my 2015 Z51 C7 Coupe that the dealer checked and couldn't find anything wrong with. I have found that recently when I get caught in the rain on the way home, or wash the car , - and put it in the garage ( without engaging the parking brake ) ( which is heated at 10 degrees celcius to take the edge off the cold ), and don't drive it for 6 - 8 days, then when I go to drive it , this happens : I start it, wait 10 seconds, put it into gear and a loud metallic " cracking sound " happens ( almost like the brakes were seized and suddenly let go ) with a slight delay in fwd motion. Once, the car didn't move at all when put into gear, so I gently put it in reverse / fwd a few times to loosen whatever the issue was and it didn't move until I gave it a bit of gas ( then the cracking sound was much louder ). Once the car is in motion, there is a slight squeal , then everything is fine and the brakes perform fine for the drive. The Dealer says they cannot duplicate the symptoms, so they are un-able to diagnose it. This is NOT an intermittent problem , as it happens 100% of the time the car gets wet. I suggested they not leave the car in their shop for the week as the heated environment may dry / change the symptoms. My next step is to wet the car down, leave it for a week, and video the sound it makes when I start it again to play it back to them. Any thoughts from anyone having experienced this ? I appreciate the opportunity to share my issues here on a fantastic site.
Peter

Peter, the brakes on my C5 will do something similar after a wet road trip or washing. I start the car put it into gear and get "thunk" when I move forward or reverse. I ride the brake pedal a bit when I first get underway because the rotors seem to rust up quickly. Always takes care of the problem.

So if I can make a suggestion, put it away wet and when you go to move it again and let the car roll just slightly in one direction or the other. Stop the car immediately and get out and have a look at the rotors to see if where the pads contacted the rotor are free of rust. Maybe take a picture so you can show your dealer. I really do not think you have a problem just a combination of rotors, pads and water.

Best of luck getting it sorted.

Reactions: ddgermann
Hello all, I did a search to see if I could find a possible solution to my issue, but didn't find anything on the topic. I have an alarming situation ( I think ) with my 2015 Z51 C7 Coupe that the dealer checked and couldn't find anything wrong with. I have found that recently when I get caught in the rain on the way home, or wash the car , - and put it in the garage ( without engaging the parking brake ) ( which is heated at 10 degrees celcius to take the edge off the cold ), and don't drive it for 6 - 8 days, then when I go to drive it , this happens : I start it, wait 10 seconds, put it into gear and a loud metallic " cracking sound " happens ( almost like the brakes were seized and suddenly let go ) with a slight delay in fwd motion. Once, the car didn't move at all when put into gear, so I gently put it in reverse / fwd a few times to loosen whatever the issue was and it didn't move until I gave it a bit of gas ( then the cracking sound was much louder ). Once the car is in motion, there is a slight squeal , then everything is fine and the brakes perform fine for the drive. The Dealer says they cannot duplicate the symptoms, so they are un-able to diagnose it. This is NOT an intermittent problem , as it happens 100% of the time the car gets wet. I suggested they not leave the car in their shop for the week as the heated environment may dry / change the symptoms. My next step is to wet the car down, leave it for a week, and video the sound it makes when I start it again to play it back to them. Any thoughts from anyone having experienced this ? I appreciate the opportunity to share my issues here on a fantastic site.
Peter

I have the exact same situation with my 2015 z51 M7. I think the water makes the rotors rust and it binds them to either the brake pads (which I really doubt) or the contact between the wheels and the wheel hub (the part the wheel attaches to, not sure what it is called). Once the car tries to move, the two suddenly separate, causing the loud pop and jerky movement. I don't really worry about it as it has not caused any problems for me, just a bit scary hen it happens.

I have the exact same situation with my 2015 z51 M7. I think the water makes the rotors rust and it binds them to either the brake pads (which I really doubt) or the contact between the wheels and the wheel hub (the part the wheel attaches to, not sure what it is called). Once the car tries to move, the two suddenly separate, causing the loud pop and jerky movement. I don't really worry about it as it has not caused any problems for me, just a bit scary hen it happens.

My 13 and 15Zs did the same thing. Putting wet brakes away cause them to bind to the rotors with a bit of oxidation. These cars have big brake components with very tight tolerances. One pop backing out of the garage and off I go.
There was no squeal after though.
As you can see from the guys above, this pop is pretty common. The fact the dealer didn’t tell you that is what I would be worried about. As if they haven’t heard that before from Corvette owners.
Anyway really common and if the dealer checked the brakes and found nothing wrong.... likely everything’s fine Man.

D

Agree with the above. Have never been caught in the rain with my C7 and when I wash it, it has time to dry and I'm using the brakes before it gets put away. But that being said, I had been caught in the rain with my C6 and same thing. Parked wet results in the rotors oxidizing (good word Derek...) and the pads sticking in that position until you try to move. My C6 didn't squeal afterwards but there was a distinct scrape sound when you braked gently for a couple of stops... I assume that was the pads scuffing the rotors clean again.... Nothing I worried about and nothing that stuck around or created any other noise or problem. IMO, drive it and find another dealer or ask yours why he didn't think of this.This is a common occurrence with a lot of vehicles; not just Corvettes.... I can't believe any service manager worth his salt hasn't heard this complaint before.... My Rav4 does it as well....

Agree with the above. Have never been caught in the rain with my C7 and when I wash it, it has time to dry and I'm using the brakes before it gets put away. But that being said, I had been caught in the rain with my C6 and same thing. Parked wet results in the rotors oxidizing (good word Derek...) and the pads sticking in that position until you try to move. My C6 didn't squeal afterwards but there was a distinct scrape sound when you braked gently for a couple of stops... I assume that was the pads scuffing the rotors clean again.... Nothing I worried about and nothing that stuck around or created any other noise or problem. IMO, drive it and find another dealer or ask yours why he didn't think of this.This is a common occurrence with a lot of vehicles; not just Corvettes.... I can't believe any service manager worth his salt hasn't heard this complaint before.... My Rav4 does it as well....

I wash my cars at home and roll them into the garage so the brakes are wet every time and pop backing out pretty much every time.
The 17 I don’t remember hearing this yet... carbon ceramic brakes.... hmmm will have to pay attention next summer.

Reactions: Rruuff Day
I wash my cars at home and roll them into the garage so the brakes are wet every time and pop backing out pretty much every time.
The 17 I don’t remember hearing this yet... carbon ceramic brakes.... hmmm will have to pay attention next summer.

Hmmmmmm.... from what I read, the carbon ceramics probably won't do this.. .... See. There's another plus to that $7,000.00 option :thumbs:

Thanks so much for all the experienced replies. I sure feel a lot better about driving now and will keep an eye on the rotors to make sure it doesn't get worse. I have never experienced this myself or heard about it from any other vehicles - I guess that was the source of my concern ! Thanks again !
Peter

Thanks so much for all the experienced replies. I sure feel a lot better about driving now and will keep an eye on the rotors to make sure it doesn't get worse. I have never experienced this myself or heard about it from any other vehicles - I guess that was the source of my concern ! Thanks again !
Peter

Glad to help. Enjoy that fantastic Corvette!

Peter
When I wash my C7 - and I spend more time on the wheels and hubs than the rest of the car (vert) and drive it later, the brakes squeal; eventually not a problem though after that. A lot of water gets on the brakes and this always happens regardless of the car I am driiving.

This is a known issue with Z51, base Z06 and GS models of the C7. You need to drive it a bit after washing to let the discs evaporate any water left on them. If you can't drive it blowing the wheels off with a leaf blower and moving it a few feet back and forth will help eliminate the brake pads sticking to the rotors.

Hmmmmmm.... from what I read, the carbon ceramics probably won't do this.. .... See. There's another plus to that $7,000.00 option :thumbs:

I consider it a bonus, I hate when you take the time to wash and detail and after a couple of hours there is that orange film of rust on the disks !

In 2011 bought a new 2010 Challenger R/T Classic for my daily driver (had a 2008 Bullitt with a supercharger as a toy) , took delivery 2-11-11 and it snowed lightly so the next morning of course, all you could see thru those very open 20in wheels were the rusty brake disks.

Called a supplier and ordered a set of MSport slotted/ drilled zinc plated disks (very good quality) . The supplier calls me back 10 minutes later to ask if I had forgotten to order brake pads ? when I told him the car only had 300 km he tought I was nuts ;)

Attachments

• HPIM1604.JPG
    HPIM1604.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.