Nik

Staff member
Power User
Administrator
Beta
Jan 11, 2009
VetteCoins
So searching I know for a fact has always been a pain on here (and lots of other forums), you get the equivalent of an electronic vomit on your screen with various keywords thrown up with little attention to relevance.

As of right now we're offering a hopefully much much better search experience with lots of really cool features and a much better presentation. Simply hit the search button (magnifying glass top right), type in a keyword same as before and you'll be taken to a a world of wonder and amazement... errmm.. or just a better search screen.

Try it out.

For the geeks/google wizkids of you, we have cool operators you can now use:

Screenshot below:
Search Results   Canadian Corvette Forums.png

Search features:

user:"Nik"

• Searches for posts by user "donnie darko"
  • Quotes are needed only if the username has more than one word

tag:"site improvements"

• Searches for posts with the tag "site improvements
  • Quotes are needed only if the tag has more than one word

before:2010-12-31

• Searches for posts before Dec. 31, 2010

after:2014-01-01

• Searches for posts after Jan. 1, 2014
Advanced

corvette -mustang

• Searches for posts with "corvette" but not "mustang"
  • aka NOT operator

corvette+power

• Searches for posts with " corvette " and " power "
  • aka AND operator

forum:30

• Restricts search results to posts from forum id 30

thread:145277

• Restricts search results to posts from thread id 145277

title:"search"

• Searches thread titles only for "search"

pirates^2 ocean

• Boosts "pirates" by a factor of 2 (can be any positive number >0, including <1), ranking it higher

"best forum" ~5

• Searches for posts with "best" and "forum" within 5 words of each other (can be any number between 0 and 5)

And many many more....

Enjoy

Reactions: Rruuff Day
Wowsers.... Always good to know the boss isn't just all glitz and glamour ... lol... Good job Nik.... That works great....

Reactions: Nik
Well hang on a second. I just typed in "search" in the "search" function and guess what came up???

Yes this thread, I was hoping to trip you up but no you probably figured out some jerk would do that and took the appropriate measures.:Biggrin:

This really is a great idea, searching on many forums really can be a PIA. Well done guys.:Cheers2:

Reactions: Nik
I like compliments and tricky statements on a weekend :)

I've cleaned up the navigation bar a little, removed the old Ask Us (real time search), added shortcut to new Search. You can also get to the old way of searching by hitting on the advanced search button in the new search window to keep you on your toes.

I've said search too many times and have a headache now...

We've improved the search capabilities yet again allowing better and easier filtering of results in real time. As content grows good searching capabilities become an even better guard against appearing senile as I often do. :)

The new filters are now located beneath the search bar for easier access and will refresh the result set dynamically in realtime. Simply type the search term(s), hit enter, then use the filters in the drop down boxes to further refine your search.

Encourage you to try it out rather than read my very poor descriptions.

New search features now include searching images, simply click on search and click the Image tab (next to posts) above the search bar. This will search our database of images site wide including those embedded in posts/threads.

Users who are viewing this thread