Oct 25, 2015
VetteCoins
Province
BC
Happy Holidays everyone.. Now that winter has settled in I decided to purchase a sd card for my car, because apparently in my excitement when I picked up my car and put a few km on it I forgot to ask about the Sd card. Now that it is tucked away and I have time I decided might as well put in the card and try to figure out the camera system before spring. According to the manual you need a FAT32 formatted class 10 sd card.
All these letters and numbers mean nothing to me. I talked to a salesman at the electronics store and he told me the fat format system was on these sd cards, now since he said it should be the same on all the 1's I looked at I decided instead of a 32 Gb to go for the 64Gb, bigger should be better right for more storage. Question is my car doesn't seem to read the 64, do I need to purchase a 32 ?

32 or 64GB will work. You need to format it for FAT32 and it should be class 10; they are not pre-formatted to FAT32. 32GB is PLENTY. I actually have tried 128 and 256GB SD cards and they work fine as well after formatting.

Download this and format your SD card.

FAT32 Format

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Allflash, worked like a charm.. now I have 2 64 Gb Sd cards ready , lol seeing as I bought the 2nd thinking it was the card that didn't work the first time. Now waiting till spring and maybe get some video :)

It is great to have an expert on the site for these electronic issues. Allflash seems to have a real handle on this technology and has helped a number of people on this forum. Good for you Les.:thumbs:

Glad you got it sorted out.

AllFlash should get paid by GM! He knows more about the C-7 than anyone at any dealer. I always read his posts and comments to get educated and he has a nice ride also!

As this "task" appears to have a Windows Resolve (via methods like the above) ... I thought I should share my resolve with a MacBook SD Card Setup ... :Confused5: ...

I have been procrastinating doing this Video Recorder SD Card Setup Task but it hit the top of my "to-do" list again. So, I looked through this forum and one other specifically for Corvette Win7 thru 10 options. As I started to gain the confidence in getting this task done, I thought that as I also have access to a MacBook, I should try to setup the SD Card with it. After buying a new Lexar 64Gb SDXC card Type 10, I inserted it directly into the card slot of my MacBook. I then opened up "Disk Utility" via the "Spotlight" (search icon). Performed the "Erase" procedure with the MS-DOS(FAT) setting (as the ExFAT format will not be recognized by the recorder). I clicked "Erase" followed by "Ejecting" the formatted SD Card. Tested it in my Corvette ... and ...

:Woohoo: Success!!! ...and it's off my "List" (tested in my 2016 Stingray as a dash-cam recorder without overlays and 64Gb = 1577 minutes = over 26 hours) :thumbs:

So for those who have a choice between a MacBook and Windows, you might be able to avoid the need of installing a utility program in Windows by using your Mac.

It's nice to know when one has options ... and ... Good Fortune to you all !!! :Seeya:

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you were able to format the card using FAT. Have you looked at the memory usage and memory free to see if it is actually configured to use the full 64GB?

I find it interesting that you were able to format the card using FAT. Have you looked at the memory usage and memory free to see if it is actually configured to use the full 64GB?
After erasing with FAT setting on the Mac, I put the SD card into my Win 10 laptop and did a discovery of Properties on it and found that the MacBook did format to FAT32 & with 2.5Gb used space and 59.6Gb of free space. Testing in my Car it displays to have minutes showing as 1577 ... so I will continue to check it out as we go on the road ....

Now the above results were with a brand new Lexar Platinum II 64Gb SDXC type10 300x 45Mb/s fresh out of the wrapping. I did test others as I have a few older SD cards and only one formatted to FAT32 some formatted to exFAT and one formatted to FAT16 with the same MacBook method.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.