well sounds like not any choice, if the old one won't take or hold charge then it is no good in the car. Get a good quality battery and for next storage season either take it out or put a maintainer on it . If this old one did not freeze then abit of a chance that a low trickle charge for a few days can revive it but as a rule when they die they are toast.

Hi guys, seems the battery can,t charge properly . Should I replace it?
I've been using C-tek and Black and Decker charger/maintainers on all our winter stored vehicles, even the lawn tractors for many years now and haven't had a problem since then. I don't disconnect the battery cables. The battery in our Corvette is a Delco unit installed new in 2012 just before we bought the car. Still working fine. Kopr Kote makes for a good connection and helps keep corrosion out of the battery cable connections. kopr kote - Google Search:

Last edited:
Did you leave the battery in your car over winter or did you take it out and let it sit inside your house? Or, was the battery in the cold?
If it was left in the cold and not kept charged, the battery would have slowly drained, then froze destroying the plates inside the battery.
If it was left in a warm environment, it would have also drained, but instead of freezing, the battery would sulfate. Sometimes this can be reversed with a very strong charge, sometimes not.
In either case, if your battery was not kept charged over winter, chances are it will need to be replaced.

My car had a battery tender on all winter. The car started no problem. After a couple of days sitting without the battery tender the battery went dead. Installed a new battery and all is fine now.

Mines been sitting on a tender for the second winter. The car sat from October 18 to April 19 and started right up. Sat for a few days of a snowstorm without the tender and started up fine. Managed to get one great driving day in before YEGs April 2019 Armageddon. It will be sitting now till August on the tender. After August It will be back on the tender till the summer of 2020. I guess I'm testing the limits of this battery tender performance thing. 😬

Had questionable, reliable performance from tenders. Found best practice, (5 cars, 9 bikes), charge batteries full in Oct., disconnect and everything great in spring. If home around Christmas will throw a charger on just to check and the draw is minimal if nothing. Had to many tenders pile up while battery hooked up and lost battery anyhow. But by all means, if battery in 'Vette is over 4 years old and not starting properly, get rid of it. There's no reliable coming back.

So far I have had a different experience with tenders Wide05. I haven't had a tender go bad yet and my batteries are surviving in an unheated garage all winter still connected. My old Z28 use to live all winter on a tender and the Corvette lives on one all winter too and while I am away at work.

Mines been sitting on a tender for the second winter. The car sat from October 18 to April 19 and started right up. Sat for a few days of a snowstorm without the tender and started up fine. Managed to get one great driving day in before YEGs April 2019 Armageddon. It will be sitting now till August on the tender. After August It will be back on the tender till the summer of 2020. I guess I'm testing the limits of this battery tender performance thing. 😬
When the hell are you going to drive it Derek?

• Haha
Reactions: ddgermann
Thanks guys, all I had to do was disconnect the + ground for long term storage, according to the manual. Now, my clutch needs replacement. Any suggestions? OEM or aftermarket? 2011 Z06.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.