I currently have an ad to sell one of my cars, so today just before I finish work I get a text. Person claims to be in Hamilton Ont but the texts are coming from a phone # with an area code to S. Carolina. I've enclosed the screenshots of the chat below.

Ultimately what I want to know is........................if I decided to send this yahoo a car report from Get Vehicle Inspection Report | Wheel Inspection (what he specifically asked for), what is he going to get out of the report that would affect me AFA being scammed?

Obviously I wasn't gonna fall for it and after my last text to him it has gone dark but really...............someone texts, asks for a vehicle report.................what's that going to do for him???? **Don't understand and shaking my head**

Tony

Attachments

• scam chat 1.jpg
    scam chat 1.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 156
  • scam chat 2.jpg
    scam chat 2.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 28
  • scam chat 3.jpg
    scam chat 3.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 27
  • scam chat 4.jpg
    scam chat 4.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 28
  • scam chat 5.jpg
    scam chat 5.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 32
@Afterimage somewhere recently I read a similar story. It had something to do with getting that report, don't think it was free and somehow, sorry the details are sketchy, the scammer got money from it. You are right to be cautious this guy may or may not be legit but I think your decisions are spot on.

Did he ever answer where he saw the car advertised for sale? Is it on the CCF?

Good luck with the sale.

He answered none of my questions and just kept redirecting to wanting me to get that report and setting up a time to meet and see the car (this part I'm sure would be total BS).

Re: that report...................if I did get one from that website. The report would have the VIN of the car. Being a scammer from the VIN I'm guessing the owner's name, location and other stuff could be accessed somewhere??? And it could get deeper once you have that info to try to find financial info and god knows what else???? Am I going in the right direction???

Perhaps something similar to this scam?

I just found that site, read it and was about to post it here. Yep looks like this is what that MF tried to do although that site he wanted me to get the report from didn't end in the .VIN in the domain address. Good find.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
Ultimately what I want to know is........................if I decided to send this yahoo a car report from Get Vehicle Inspection Report | Wheel Inspection (what he specifically asked for), what is he going to get out of the report that would affect me AFA being scammed?
Other than the cash you might have given away.......not much.
If your address is a concern, not to worry. Anyone can get a vin of nearly every car on the road and start a search.

Lots of scams out there and they get more inventive all the time. Beware of the cashiers cheque as well. Looks good. You deposit the cheque and all is god until 2 months later when you bank debits your account because it took that long for the cheque to bounce. The other scam payment is through PayPal. They always say you are totally guaranteed.... NOT.... I sell a lot online and have lots of scammers try....even to the point of offering me 20% more that I am asking... So far haven't fallen for any of them... Be cautious... The world is not like it use to be.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.