Power User
Oct 30, 2013
Haliburton, Ontario
VetteCoins
Car
2003 Z06
Province
ON
August 13, 2022. Beautiful Saturday afternoon for a Corvette Drive. Thought I would give you folks a heads up on road conditions if anyone if planning a Muskoka/Haliburton Fall Colour Tour or just a drive.

Highway 118 from the Town of Haliburton to Carnarvon at Highway 35 is under construction. So far not bad, just culvert replacements that might hold you up for a minute or two. Highway 118 west from Highway 35 is in great shape, some construction towards the Highway 11 end but it seems to be pretty much wrapped up.

Highway 11 south to Gravenhurst no problem. Absolutely no construction or delays around the bakery in town. Butter tarts....MMMmmm.

Highway 169 from Gravenhurst towards Bala no problem. Took the Southwood Road from Torrance that runs back to Highway 11 some 40 kms or so south. This really difficult road to drive on but was one of Stan's (Zeeman28a Rest In Peace) favourites for his famous Fall Colour Tours. It is beautiful through the Torrance "Badlands" however the road has deteriorated badly since I was last on it. Pot holes multiples that are huge all together, (try as you might you cannot miss them), missing hardtop, gravel covered and the occasional Black Bear made for an ugly second gear only 20 km drive. Don't let the beginning (headed in either direction) fool you, this road is a car beater, maybe impassible for anyone with a really lowered car in some spots. Yikes!

Highway 11 south to Washago no problems. Rama Road to the Monck Road is fine as is the Monck Road itself all the way to Norland at Highway 35. Some construction in Norland itself and a few kms beyond going north but really no issues. Highway 35 up through Minden and back to Highway 118 no problems.

Again great day for a drive except for Southwood Road. Be Warned!!!

Take care folks. Enjoy your drives!

Last edited:
August 13, 2022. Beautiful Saturday afternoon for a Corvette Drive. Thought I would give you folks a heads up on road conditions if anyone if planning a Muskoka/Haliburton Fall Colour Tour or just a drive.

Highway 118 from the Town of Haliburton to Carnarvon at Highway 35 is under construction. So far not bad, just culvert replacements that might hold you up for a minute or two. Highway 118 west from Highway 35 is in great shape, some construction towards the Highway 11 end but it seems to be pretty much wrapped up.

Highway 11 south to Gravenhurst no problem. Absolutely no construction or delays around the bakery in town. Butter tarts....MMMmmm.

Highway 169 from Gravenhurst towards Bala no problem. Took the Southwind Road from Torrance that runs back to Highway 11 some 40 kms or so south. This really difficult road to drive on but was one of Stan's (Zeeman28a Rest In Peace) favourites for his famous Fall Colour Tours. It is beautiful through the Torrance "Badlands" however the road has deteriorated badly since I was last on it. Pot holes multiples that are huge all together, (try as you might you cannot miss them), missing hardtop, gravel covered and the occasional Black Bear made for an ugly second gear only 20 km drive. Don't let the beginning (headed in either direction) fool you, this road is a car beater, maybe impassible for anyone with a really lowered car in some spots. Yikes!

Highway 11 south to Washago no problems. Rama Road to the Monck Road is fine as is the Monck Road itself all the way to Norland at Highway 35. Some construction in Norland itself and a few kms beyond going north but really no issues. Highway 35 up through Minden and back to Highway 118 no problems.

Again great day for a drive except for Southwind Road. Be Warned!!!

Take care folks. Enjoy your drives!
When were you on Southwood Rd? (not southwind)
It's scheduled to be closed from Aug 13-15 for (much needed) repairs.

@AxeZ06 drove SOUTHWOOD road yesterday (Aug 13th). Saw the sign for closure on the 13 to the 15 but they are not going to fix that mess in three or four days. Have you driven it lately?

Thanks for the name correction, even when I typed it I thought it was not right! :thumbs: I did correct it in the write up above.

Reactions: AxeZ06
@AxeZ06 drove SOUTHWOOD road yesterday (Aug 13th). Saw the sign for closure on the 13 to the 15 but they are not going to fix that mess in three or four days. Have you driven it lately?

Thanks for the name correction, even when I typed it I thought it was not right! :thumbs: I did correct it in the write up above.
I try to get up there a time or two every year. (on route to 118).
We rode our bikes up there in early April. It was in worse condition than last fall. It used to be a fun road for a "spirited" ride. (Weber's burgers used to be good too). I hope they can find a way to clean up Southwood, and smoothen it out in 2-3 days.

At some point along Southwood, there's a cutoff. It goes to a dead end, where you'll find Morrison Lake, and a great big public dock. (beauty spot)
Packing a lunch and stopping there, is worthwhile.

Reactions: Black 03 Z06
@harshadt it changes every year, sometimes we get brilliant colours other times not so much. I think the time frame of the last week in September first in October usually works for a drive and leaf pepping. Just don't come Thanksgiving weekend, it is a ZOO.

I will drop you a PM when the great change begins so you might be able to plan something. :thumbs:

@harshadt it changes every year, sometimes we get brilliant colours other times not so much. I think the time frame of the last week in September first in October usually works for a drive and leaf pepping. Just don't come Thanksgiving weekend, it is a ZOO.

I will drop you a PM when the great change begins so you might be able to plan something. :thumbs:
Sounds good, thanks!

I live in northwestern Ontario so we only get the yellows for fall colours. When is it a good time to do the drive down there to see some nice fall colours? Late Sept/early Oct? or earlier?
The map in this link should provide good detail. As fall colours start, the map will start to change colours too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 100 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.